• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

I would expect that is fairly port specific no?

Docking in San Diego or a port in Western Europe vice docking somewhere in Africa?

Generally its done for products you just cant get of the same quality outside of NA. And just for dry/canned goods. And its only done once for a 6 month deployment. During a RAMP (Rest and Maintenance Program), usually a port visit two weeks in length where much of the crew goes on HLTA and we get deep maintenance work and major storings done on the ship. Its a busy time for Storesmen and Stokers.

And the flying over food stuffs isn't always done. This is my 5th 6 month deployment at sea and only the second time I've done this. Normally the AC pallets are filled with ammo, G&T stores, POL and other sundry items that keeps these sleek greyhounds of death on the hunt.

The quality of food we get often isn't the same you are served at the nice restaurant at the Venetian Harbor in Chania, Crete. Most Navies don't eat as well as we do, we are very spoiled.

You forgot the other half of the engineers... lol. My RAMP was full of CM's and PM's that couldn't get done while we were sailing (tough to do T/R book replacements when the radar keeps turning).
Because that's equivalent to engine and main pump replacements and shaftline repairs. Things like that all have log components

My RAMP experiences had the CSE work done in the first few days of the two weeks for the most part, with the rest handled by the duty watch.

Some of the aircrew maintainers actually worked longer than that.

Not that CSEs don't work, but frankly the techs have pretty limited ability to do much after some basic troubleshooting for the most part, and after that it's mostly repair parties coming for major work. MSED can still do pretty major repairs without external support (or with just local support for things like rigging or welding)

I'll observe that a few years ago, the onboard CSE types as NE Tech and NW Techs were very capable when it came to RAMP activities.

The advent of W Eng has diminished the technical skills of the CSE world in a noticeable way.

When I argued with a certain proponent of the W Eng program, I put it this way. "We haven't trained a single technician since 2011, we've trained Maintainers. Some of our Maintainers have taught themselves to be technicians."

You forgot the other half of the engineers... lol. My RAMP was full of CM's and PM's that couldn't get done while we were sailing (tough to do T/R book replacements when the radar keeps turning).

No slight intended, I have always found the MSEs keep me busier than the CSEs.

I'll observe that a few years ago, the onboard CSE types as NE Tech and NW Techs were very capable when it came to RAMP activities.

The advent of W Eng has diminished the technical skills of the CSE world in a noticeable way.

When I argued with a certain proponent of the W Eng program, I put it this way. "We haven't trained a single technician since 2011, we've trained Maintainers. Some of our Maintainers have taught themselves to be technicians."
I found the same thing, but to be fair the maintenance concept on the post FELEX CPFs really shifted away from actual technician activities as well, but huge difference compared to what they used to do on the 280s (especially the NWTs with the hydraulics and guns). It will get worse with CSC, where they might merge with operators into an operator/maintainer concept with the AEGIS. Might make sense to let a few MARTECHs take over the cranes and other lifting appliaces, which would give a few more MSE numbers, and make more sense if they are doing big hydraulics on steering and other systsms anyway.

I found the same thing, but to be fair the maintenance concept on the post FELEX CPFs really shifted away from actual technician activities as well, but huge difference compared to what they used to do on the 280s (especially the NWTs with the hydraulics and guns). It will get worse with CSC, where they might merge with operators into an operator/maintainer concept with the AEGIS. Might make sense to let a few MARTECHs take over the cranes and other lifting appliaces, which would give a few more MSE numbers, and make more sense if they are doing big hydraulics on steering and other systsms anyway.
Stoker mafia in action...

Because that's equivalent to engine and main pump replacements and shaftline repairs. Things like that all have log components

My RAMP experiences had the CSE work done in the first few days of the two weeks for the most part, with the rest handled by the duty watch.

Some of the aircrew maintainers actually worked longer than that.

Not that CSEs don't work, but frankly the techs have pretty limited ability to do much after some basic troubleshooting for the most part, and after that it's mostly repair parties coming for major work. MSED can still do pretty major repairs without external support (or with just local support for things like rigging or welding)
Two cruise engine changes on ALG during APOLLO was just that. FSR from Halifax and two riggers sent from Esquimalt. All other heavy maintenance including a top end rebuild of the DG set was MSE dept only. I’d like to think that we’re still capable of that level of work.

At least you kept the Eng in W Eng. Still wonder who dreamt up MarTech.

We kept you on your game 😀. Never a bad thing to say about a ship’s LOG branch. The assorted ashore N and J staff are a different story. Example: Me on RIMPAC asking for the cruise engine change-out kit to be sent to Pearl. Esquimalt: “Can’t you use the USN’s kit?”

I'm teasing of course. It's as busy as it needs to be. A lot depends on what breaks, when parts arrive and what other maint/evolutions conflict with each other.

I know how hard the MSE and Log work and I love them for it. Us non-operations types need to stick together.

Little blurb from Seaspan on the status of the two AOR's

Back