• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

FMoore7 said:
Sorry if I am out of the loop on this guys, but when the JSS are delivered, are we going to still use the MV Asterix?

Are they not using her pretty hard? 

They seems to be using her a lot, likely getting our monies worth out of her. Once the first new AOR comes online, likley Astreix will go into refit.

So Davie put this concept ship out on their feed today:  needs some time for comment but my first thought is it’s an LPH cross dressed as an extra large sized AOPS.

Attachments

• 0AB7488B-4EB5-4085-93ED-28C41593A22D.jpeg
    0AB7488B-4EB5-4085-93ED-28C41593A22D.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 153
The UAS rotor-discs overlap... 

FMoore7 said:
Sorry if I am out of the loop on this guys, but when the JSS are delivered, are we going to still use the MV Asterix?

Hopefully not, she'll be worn out by then.

CloudCover said:
So Davie put this concept ship out on their feed today:  needs some time for comment but my first thought is it’s an LPH cross dressed as an extra large sized AOPS.

Cool concept but more flights of fancy from Davie. Whenever you see a negative story or no news about Davie they drop stuff on social media like declaring themselves the national ice breaking center or draft up a drawing of a ship we'll never buy.

CloudCover said:

We should have had LPH for decades already, considering how expeditionary we are. Harpers Ferry-class/Whidbey Island-class, Karel-Doorman - anything that gives us something close to a Mistral i'll take at this point. Probably the best time for industry to promote extra work/jobs. Make Davie the "orphan class/small batch/conversion" shipbuilder in the strategy, build 2.

I'm all for the growth and development of our domestic shipbuilding industry, even with its extras costs.

Could use something like this to sustain an exercise in the arctic (in AOPS seasons) without taking away/using local transportation infrastructure and logistics. Could disarm it and use it to transport civilian cargo when not in use by the RCN.

It’s just an eye candy design I believe for the reasons the Chief has pointed out. Also, elements of the design are questionable.  It’s ice capable and a refueler but we don’t RAS in the ice. Second, the illustration has a vehicle deck with a rather large LCVP, (or ship to shore connector in civvy speak)- a well deck is required for that.  The crew accommodations appear to be FFS crew spaces. The flight deck suggests a length of 350-450 feet, plus the other half of the ship!!

It would have to be a new build or a whopping major reconstruction of RFA Argus or an RFA Bay Class.

But still, LeadMark does call for this type of ship. SSE does not (AFAIK).

CloudCover said:

Being in Leadmark is all good, but if you’re not in SSE, or post-DRAP2 version of SSE2 (or whatever the magical green unicorns call the dere-funded Defence Policy, that and $2.19 will get you a Timmies XL double-double...

This look exactly like something they would put into Popular Science/Mechanics magazine when I was a kid. Super cool concept art for something that will never be built.

CloudCover said:

I believe 2020 does.  2050 however references a peace support ship and then infers that the AOR's and AOPS should be able to fill that gap without coming out and saying we want a HA/DR ship.  Not many may know this but Leadmark 2050 was out for initial review (ie: were sent to unit CO's for feedback) before SSE and the initial drafts were then recalled until SSE was published (it may have been due to the gov't change, I can't recall the timeline exactly).  It was subsequently updated with SSE in mind.  Can't have the RCN and Government saying different things. 

Halifax Tar said:
The "Big Honking Ship"

The "Big Honking Ship" was a full LPD, LPH concept like a Mistral.  What is presented here is basically the Afloat Logistics Sea Control concept that was jettisoned because it's jack-knife nature was to expensive and didn't meet requirements.

Tour of the brand new HMNZS Aotearoa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qj3uHHA6Kg&ab_channel=NZDefenceForce

Ordered, designed and built.  As we are still design ours.

What does everyone think. 

Crew quarters are nice.  MV Asterix look nicer :)

Actually modules are being put together for ours as we speak. https://nss.seaspan.com/project/joint-support-ship/#JSSGalleryAnchor

Spencer100 said:
Tour of the brand new HMNZS Aotearoa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qj3uHHA6Kg&ab_channel=NZDefenceForce

Ordered, designed and built.  As we are still design ours.

What does everyone think. 

Crew quarters are nice.  MV Asterix look nicer :)

Does this ship compare well or better than our JSS?

CloudCover said:
Does this ship compare well or better than our JSS?

In what context.  Cost?  Ammo carried? Fire suppression? Damage Control? Task Group integration? Number of aircraft? Tonnage, speed  range, fuel carried, stores carried, endurance, ice capability, bridge layout, number of ships being able to be refueld at the same time, self defence capability? Flexibility, hospital arrangements, dental surgery. IFF? Combat systems? Comms systems?

One is a basic truck.  The other is the extended cab, extended bed, flex-fuel, roof rack and all the extras (including the floormats and nav system) model, with a bike in the back included.

The one thing the New Zealand ship brings is a Polar 6 ice capability as it has to service their Antarctica Station as well. It would be nice feature for a Canadian ship, but I would rather see a ice capable landing ship instead. 

Colin P said:
The one thing the New Zealand ship brings is a Polar 6 ice capability as it has to service their Antarctica Station as well. It would be nice feature for a Canadian ship, but I would rather see a ice capable landing ship instead.

Unlike Asterix who can't go above 60 while owned by a civilian company.

Good2Golf said:
Could PRO and PRE?

Most certainly, they weren't rentals.

https://www.navalreview.ca/2014/11/deployments-by-ships-of-the-royal-canadian-navy-into-canadian-northern-waters-1949-2014/

Underway said:
In what context.  Cost?  Ammo carried? Fire suppression? Damage Control? Task Group integration? Number of aircraft? Tonnage, speed  range, fuel carried, stores carried, endurance, ice capability, bridge layout, number of ships being able to be refueld at the same time, self defence capability? Flexibility, hospital arrangements, dental surgery. IFF? Combat systems? Comms systems?

One is a basic truck.  The other is the extended cab, extended bed, flex-fuel, roof rack and all the extras (including the floormats and nav system) model, with a bike in the back included.

What arnaments are planned? Wikipedia says the Berlin class has 4 x 27mm. I believe you mentioned before that the ships will be based on the Bonn and not the Berlin and Frankfurt. The Bonn was the last made so that makes sense but what are the significant differences between the 3 subtypes? As far as Arctic operations go, I imagine just being double hulled will be a huge step forward.

Back