• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any Way I Could Enter Reserves With This Situation

GMan87

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I have a question that I didn't find an answer to by searching. Anyways, I think that I would like to eventually be a DEO, but was thinking that before signing a 9 year contract, it may be a good idea to give the reserves a try as an NCM (even if it's a non related trade). It would let me see if I like military life, can at least make it through basic training, and generally would just be a good experience.

The thing is, I'm currently in University on a co-op program where I have 3 terms in a year and alternate between school and work placements. So, for example, this year I have school from Sep-Dec; work from Jan-April; and school again from May-Aug (next year will be the opposite). This leads to two problems:

1.) Not available to go on full time training in the summer
2.) Some of my future work placements are likely to be in other cities. I would assume that you can't just bounce between different reserve units every 4 months since they seem to be run fairly individually.

Anyways, I assume there is no real way I could make this work; but people on this site seem to really know their stuff, and it never hurts to ask.

Thanks a lot!

I believe you answered your own question.

What you should do is go to CFRC and ask them your questions. If there is a Reserve unit near, go and check them out. The information you provided would make one think that you have no time to committ to the Reserves.

GUNS said:
I believe you answered your own question.
Well I had my own assumptions, but doesn't hurt to ask since most of the people on here will know a lot better than me.

Conversely.....I've seen stranger things happen, IF you're willing to put in the requiste effort to make it happen.

It requires lots of extra time, sucking up, pestering, chest poking, and massive flexibility as required. It's also a problem when you're new to the system and unlikely to know the correct action and in what amount. You may also want to be aware right from the get-go, that while you're putting in all this extra effort, it will not be recognized; to some arm-chair warrior you will just be an additional admin burden, rather than someone seeking alternative solutions to get military training/experience.

If you really want it, go for it. The beaten path is for the beaten person. If you choose the journey, good luck. ;)

You would still probably spend more time on the job than a Senator.

Hmmm... we're already in November.  If you started now, you could not expect to get enrolled and course loaded onto a BMQ course before late Jan / early Feb.  BMQ would run 20 working days over weekends (est 2 wk ends per month)... so, 10 weekends, spaced every other weekend OR two on, one off... to be finished prior to end of April.
May to Aug time frame = school for you so - no training, no qualifications for you at that time - so you go into next training year without a trade, nor hope of obtaining one prior to the following summer............. think about this very much.... IMHO

I am also a  co-op student and I am in the exact same situation you are in. Since my trade is combat engineer and I am studying mechanical engineering, I can use my trades training as co-op experience. Depending on what your studying this may or may not work for you as well, you'll have to discuss it with the co-op department at your school.

My unit has been supportive in allowing me to work with other units when I am out of town on co-op jobs, but you should make your situation clear to the unit before they recruit you.

I would suggest getting your recruit training out of the way on a part time course, so that you are able to get on a full time section member course during your summer co-op term.

Thanks for your answers. At least it sounds like its possible to make this work and would be worth talking to a recruiter about.  I also could probably be a little more flexible than my original post sounded. Like it is possible to get work placements in my city, and I could probably take off one work term without screwing anything up (or even better, the school might let me claim military training as a coop credit if I could make a good argument for it).

geo said:
Hmmm... we're already in November.  If you started now, you could not expect to get enrolled and course loaded onto a BMQ course before late Jan / early Feb.  BMQ would run 20 working days over weekends (est 2 wk ends per month)... so, 10 weekends, spaced every other weekend OR two on, one off... to be finished prior to end of April.
May to Aug time frame = school for you so - no training, no qualifications for you at that time - so you go into next training year without a trade, nor hope of obtaining one prior to the following summer............. think about this very much.... IMHO
Sorry, I should have mentioned in my original post that I'm not thinking about doing this immediately, I just tend to plan ahead. That doesn't really change the point of your post though.

Still it sounds like I COULD make this work if I really want to and I guess it will be up to me to decide how much I want this.

spoon man said:
I am also a  co-op student and I am in the exact same situation you are in. Since my trade is combat engineer and I am studying mechanical engineering, I can use my trades training as co-op experience. Depending on what your studying this may or may not work for you as well, you'll have to discuss it with the co-op department at your school.

My unit has been supportive in allowing me to work with other units when I am out of town on co-op jobs, but you should make your situation clear to the unit before they recruit you.

I would suggest getting your recruit training out of the way on a part time course, so that you are able to get on a full time section member course during your summer co-op term.

Even more encouraging. I was thinking about claiming the training as co-op experience (I doubt the university would object since it makes their "employment percentage" look better for incoming students). Thanks for your advice.

Back