• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any retired members store their medals in a shadow box?

Nester

Inactive
Reaction score
Any retired members store there medals in a shadow box?  My medals are sitting in a drawer and deserve better  :-[

Can you post pictures of it?  Where did you get it done? 

Not mine but there's this one that stands out the most. Of course, you don't necessarily have to lay it out like this and can include a panel to house medals.

Many of my relatives had theirs handmade either themselves or someone they know, others, you can purchase kits at local craft and hobby shops.

114500.jpg

Some of the infantry battalion kit shops carry shadow boxes specifically for medals. I picked one up years ago from the 3 RCR kitshop where I believe they were made locally. Best bet, IMO, is to have a friend who is a woodworker and can custom build one for you (they're a fair amount of work, though).

The "Michaels" craft store has a variety and are usually on sale.  :irish jig:

For those who are members, the Legion has several styles and sizes in their online catalogue, reasonable prisces too.

Me, I use a converted Cohiba cigar box. 8)

Thank you for the Legion tip, I never knew how much useful gear was there.

The Dollar Store has a nice little box that measures 7'' X 9 3/4" X 3/4 inch deep with magnetic closure and cork bottom on wood base.

That's a nice looking little box. I may check it out. A bit of stain and some lining and perfect.

this post is really nice , I'm actually thinking about making one for my step father , he did 35 years with the infantry , ended as a Master Warrant here in valcartier , and I'm actually thinking about making one for him , since he loves the army , and if it was only for him he would have probably never left it , If you guys have any more pictures of ideas , I would really appreciate it.

I was to make one as a gift , something he could hang or put on top of some fireplace or something like that , something that would not only shows is achievement but also the love he had for his job ( I really like the one with the canadian flag on top )

Ill try to post some pictures of the one we are gonna make !!! probably around fathers day !!!

Does anyone have a picture of a shadow box reflecting two trades?  Arty and Air Force are what I want to have..  I was thinking of a rectangle with 3 triangles.

My Artillery badges mounted on my old regimental dickie.
Air Force mounted on a partial tunic with the pocket and lapel to hold the medals.
The centre triangle for Name tag, dog tags and rank and whatever might be suitable.

Or is it overkill?

eurowing said:
Does anyone have a picture of a shadow box reflecting two trades?  Arty and Air Force are what I want to have..  I was thinking of a rectangle with 3 triangles.

Air Force mounted on a partial tunic with the pocket and lapel to hold the medals.
The centre triangle for Name tag, dog tags and rank and whatever might be suitable.

Or is it overkill?

Hard to say, maybe a better idea would be two matching shadow boxes  like bookends , perhaps three with the medals in the centre flanked by RCA/RCAF specific ones.

eurowing said:

Or is it overkill?

I was planning on doing the same thing myself with doodads from both the trades I was in.  I contacted Wood-Ever some time ago and inquired about their 20" x 24" Coliseum and Sunset boxes.  Unfortunately that's about as far as I've gotten.  One of these days I'll sit down with all my trinkets and a 18 3/4" x 22 3/4" piece of paper and map everything out.  I believe Wood-Ever makes custom sized boxes too.

Some really great ideas for shadow boxes on here however, I was wondering if there was anyone in the Trenton area that makes shadow boxes as a hobby?  Recently retired and have my shadow box items needing a place to be put. Just thought I'd throw this out there.
Obviously I'm not expecting it to be free. 

Go to the Communications and Electronics Museum at CFB Kingston.  The Gift Shop there sells Shadow Boxes, Sword cases, etc.  They have connections to people who will build them to your specs.

Thanks George, I should check that out if there isn't much local response . Thanks for the input.    :salute:

Shyte, closed for the season according to their website.    :facepalm:

Back