• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Am I limited to selecting only 3 occupational choices during enrolment process?

owenmatt435

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm still submitting documents to the RCC, so I'm still in the online applying phase. However, after filling out my application form I noticed I was only able to select 3 occupations. I've already submitted that part.

Problem is, out of the 3 that I chose only 1 is currently accepting applications. The other 2 aren't. If I tell them I'd be happy to take ANY offers made to me for any vacancies not just the 3 that I chose, whichever I'm found suited for, do you think they might make me an offer for something I haven't applied to? I sure hope so. That way my chances of getting in increase a lot, I'd be sort of applying for everything lol.

I really want to get into the CF and don't care what it's for I'll take anything.

That's why I tried to pick my favourites. Still though, I've seen a bunch of other occupations that seem worth doing to me. Maybe they'd offer me one of the other ones I liked if I can't get in for the ones I chosed, that'd be ideal.

They ask for 3 choices. Sit down, think hard and pick 3.

Trust me, going in with "any" as a career plan does not work out in the end.

Do more research. Pick 3.

To add to what Cdn Aviator has said, just because an occupation is not open this second, does not mean things will not change next week or next month.

Do research.  Pick the 3 you like the best, regardless if they are open at this time or not.  I would recommend strongly against joining just to get in the door, hoping to change later.  That rarely works out well.

From what I've read they're always updating their availability lists anyways. Hopefully I get enrolled for one of my favourites then.

When I joined a gazillion years ago, I was told I'd have an 18 month waiting list for the trade I wanted...then they suggested a bunch that they wanted me to take, thinking I wanted in now.  An argument ensued (literally), because I countered with a couple, but they wanted people for X,Y or Z, even though I qualified for A, B or C.  It ended up coming back to what was my original choice and strangely enough, I got an offer 3 months later, and 3 months after that, I was in Cornwallis.  Figure out what you really want to do, and go for that...but have a back-up plan for something that you'd like if Plan A doesn't pan out for what ever reason.  If you really want to be 'X' and qualify for it, stick it out so you end up doing what you want to do, not what some career counsellor thinks you might like.

MM

You can only apply for a trade that is open.  If there are there open trades right now which you are interested in, then you can apply.  But don't apply for something just so you can get in and then switch.  They will go medieval on you for that.  Apply for a trade only if you really want to do it, and will stick with it.

There aren't many open trades right now, so If the ones you really want are closed I suggest waiting until April 2012 (new fiscal year).  But yah, you can only apply for three.

Intrepidus said:
They will go medieval on you for that. 

No, they won't.

The reason one should not join one trade just to get in is that changing trades is a gamble. You may never be able to. It took me 10 years before i could even apply to move out of my first MOC.

Back