• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things Socks (merged)

Good Day Sockguy,

I'll answer a couple questions which so far have remained relatively untouched.

Socks cannot be purchased through the military as the supply system has eliminated cash sales. The only exception is selected socks produced by Logistik Unicorp which make up part of a Member's Dress uniform (i'll explain further below)

Military members are issued a multitude of different socks, depending on your duties/postings/or element (Army/Navy/Airforce).

I'll break it down to the different sock systems:

Goretex Sock System : Is issued to Army Personnel, Members posted to Army units, or Members deployed in support of Land Force Operations.
Initial issue consists of : 5 pr Heavyweight Grey Wool socks, 5 pr Midweight Green Socks, and 5 pr Black moisture-wicking liner socks. The Life-cycle of the socks, upon being issued, is probably 6 months as mentioned previously. More info on this Sock System can be found at the CTS Website http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/Chief_Land_Staff/Clothe_the_soldier/hab/2/262_e.asp
Some DND Clothing Stores will issue a member new socks (or any next-to-skin items) every 6 months or so (depending on the life-cycle of the item) and some DND Clothing Stores want the members to bring in the old worn out socks, and exchange them one-for-one/pair-for-pair

Standard "Socks, Wool, Grey" : Issued to all CF Members. Initial issue of 5 pr. These socks used to be one for one exchange (I do not know if clothing stores still stocks these socks) Members can now get a free issue of these socks through Logistik Unicorp's Website, utilizing Logistik's point system.

Black or White Dress Socks : Issued to all CF Members, Initial issue of 5 pr black socks for all elements, Navy may also sign for 5 pr white dress socks to go with their white dress uniform. Exchanges of these are the same as above, through Logistik Unicorp website using the points system.

Socks, Deset, Tan : Issued to members being deployed to arid regions. These socks are one time issue, specifically for deployment (socks may be exchanged in theater of operations if avail.) Worn in conjunction with desert boots or the Tropical Dress Uniform. Initial issue of 5 or 8 pr depending on operation.

Goretex Liner : Goretex Shell for Mucklucks (winter boots). Last ones I saw were manufactured by Mustang Survival. Initial issue is 1 or 2 pr (not exactly sure) These socks are one-for-one exchange only.

*please let me know if i missed any, i've issued many a sock, they all start blending together....  :p *

I have not seen any of these specific socks available commercially (except for the Goretex "Mustang Survival" ones), although I'm sure there is some knock-offs and variants available.

CF Members are told to wear certain socks with certain footwear. Non-issue clothing of any type is usually frowned upon by most units, but is is rare that anybody wearing "non-conforming" socks would get in trouble. With the sand-traps on the combat pants, nobody can see your socks anyways. When Marching, soldiers are usually left alone to use what works.

I personally dont mind the old "socks wool grey", because they come in my size. I'm not all that fond of the Goretex Sock System, because I fall into a size-gap.

Hope that helps,

Eric

Eric_911 said:
I'll break it down to the different sock systems:

Goretex Sock System : Is issued to Army Personnel, Members posted to Army units, or Members deployed in support of Land Force Operations.
Initial issue consists of : 5 pr Heavyweight Grey Wool socks, 5 pr Midweight Green Socks, and 5 pr Black moisture-wicking liner socks.

There's nothing Gore-Tex about those socks at all.

Sorry, my mistake, it is the Combat Sock System.....

I erroneously refferred to it as the "Goretex Sock System" because when the Combat Sock System was developped, it was designed for the Wet Weather Boot and Temperate Combat Boot. (According to the Fact Sheet: http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/Chief_Land_Staff/Clothe_the_soldier/hab/PDF/FactSheets/CSS_e.pdf ) Since the "Temperate Combat Boot" (the cadpat boots) were not in the system, and still are not...... the only boot left is the WWB according to its concept of use....

Thanks for pointing that out....

Eric

I was issued the grey wool socks and black dress socks at basic.  Never wore them, stuck to my few pairs of Ingenious's.  I was issued the sock system at battle school and have pretty much stuck with them and the ingenious socks but mostly the sock system.  For the record, I've yet to get a blister but my feet do get very hot at times and quite wet which has broke down a lot of my callouses. 

I was never issued the goretex socks, though I really wish I was.

Thanks for all the info everybody. So the next step is finding out who handles the CTS program, how I get the right people testing our socks and when the current supplier contract ends...

Our socks are extremely durable, comfortable and popular from what you have written so far. Our newest models are even better, so we really need to get our socks in the trial process here.

It is extremely tough finding out who the buyers and testers are and when the contracts expire.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have some details...

Marty

And that explains why you were so interested..

If you want to launch me a pair or two (for wife and daughter too) we often go hiking and geocaching so we can put them through a civvy trial for you. I could use some civvy socks for chilling out around camp in Afghanistan..

The only thing I've noticed with the Ingenious socks is that every time I pull them off after a hard day (or 2 or 3) is that they have left a "waffle" like pattern on my feet.  I'm guessing this results from the design of the inner and can't really say that it's really a problem, but I wonder how tight they might be on my feet.  I think they are thicker then the 2 sock system and fit a little tighter in the old Mark III's.  I like the feel of the black liners of the sock system and they are quite thin, especially after you pull them tight.  Mine are shopwing quite bit of wear however and the crustiness in the heels doens't really wash out. 

I've stuck mainly with the 2 sock system since being issued it because I've been satisfied with it and have been reluctant to switch back to the Ingenious's for something like a big march or field ex simply because the sock system hasn't let me down.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I wore the Ingenious socks in basic at almost all times, but basic isn't much of a test and that was in winter conditions. 

I will start trying to wear the Ingenious socks in garriosn more to get a better evaulation and perhaps see if I'm comfortable wearing them in the field in the summer (or whenever it is I'll see significant amount of time in the field next).

I sit here in my Ingenious socks and I just pulled one off to verify "waffling".  None.  Are you sure you have the correct sized socks?

I'm with DirtyDog: I get the same "waffling" and mine are very definitely the right size ... doesn't affect comfort or anything, but I have noticed my feet looking a little weird when I take them off ...

Eric_911 said:
Socks, Deset, Tan : Issued to members being deployed to arid regions. These socks are one time issue, specifically for deployment (socks may be exchanged in theater of operations if avail.) Worn in conjunction with desert boots or the Tropical Dress Uniform. Initial issue of 5 or 8 pr depending on operation.

Wore these for over 15 years (washed after each use of course  ;D), loved em forever.  Hard to replace though...

Thanks again for all the helpful info.
I am going to do my best to get our Wigwam socks in the trial processes with the military, but it is a hard process from what I have seen.

I truly believe that we could provide the best 3 sock program possible so that is the next goal.

Thanks

Marty

I've only ever used the socks issued at basic (the Woll, grey, and the Black 'dress' socks), I've just layered the black ones under the wool and have yet to get a blister, etc. Though I'm intrested in the Wigwam socks, as they look quite useful.

I've only every been issued the grey wool/nylon socks and I've never had problems.  I got short issued (only 3 pr), I bought two or three more and I ordered four or five more through LU so I think now I have around ten pairs.  They tend to fit better when they are newer, but the newer they are the more likely I am to get itchy legs when I take them off.  With the older pairs, I don't have this problem.  Never got any blisters from them.

I've gone away from the 3 sock system completely, and over all... military socks in general. I don't even wear MkIIIs anymore. I just wear regular white cotton sport socks with my Magnums, and they haven't blistered or anything after my BFT and other walks.

I found the same flimsy problem with the liner sock. The green socks sort of crustiness is there too. However, I will admit that they were comfortable as hell new when I got them issued at Gagetown on my CAP course. These socks helped a bunch on those marches.

I haven't tried the WigWam socks yet. But heard nothing but good things about them. Maybe I will after this...

I wear SmartWool religiously, as I find it to be absolutely, hands down, WAY better than anything else I've ever tried when sitting around in a nice safe place like Canada.  I do have a question though:

Do any medics on the board have anything to say about SmartWool or similar fabrics and their use on deployment?  I've had the great fortune to never be on fire before, and I'd be interested to hear what the experts have to say regarding all of the issued and non issued next-to-skin items out there- particularly in regard to FR and possible wearer injury.

Edit: grammar.

So I was just issued eight pairs of khaki desert socks for deployment to Afghanistan.  They say khaki on the tag, even though they are really more like a green.  Anyways I try them on when I get home and the damn things are freaking long as hell.  They go up mid theigh on me and they look more like a woman's nylons than army socks.  My question is why are they soo freaking long and what practical reason is there for this?  Also can any of you who've already been to the sandbox tell me what you would recommend for doing infantry work over there.  What kind of socksare the best over there?  Thanks

Sorry to nit pick; but what colour did you think Khaki was?  It isn't Tan.

We used to paint our vehicles with a standard three colour pattern.  Those colours were Black, Green and Khaki. 

Just wondering.

Now the length of the socks.  Have you seen any pictures from the Second World War, or from any recent time as a matter of fact, of soldiers in the Middle Eastern deserts wearing shorts?  Have you noticed their socks?

I'll now leave you to those who have been wearing them to comment on what are good and what are bad points.

Use the socks you were issued, just fold them down. For me thay were the best for my feet.

Mid thy, as in 'CFM boot mid thy' or do you mean mid lower leg???

AKA, the Rocky Horror Picture Show look   ;D

Ours are long too, but they are folded over, not a problem.

Regards,

Wes

Back