• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things LASIK surgery (aircrew/other -- merged)

If I got it done I would do custom wavefront PRK, because the eye would have much more structural intregrity. However your chances of getting 20/20 would not be as high.

Rinker said:
Well this question hasn't seemed to be asked before. I start my bmq august for the trade I want. My eyes are V3, but I would really like to not have to wear glasses. I was told it will be fine for what I am doing at this stage. But I would like to get my eyes zapped once in, without seriously affecting my training/unit. I have no problem waiting a year or two, but how long of a break would I need to take from training to get my eyes fixed. And would they let me once in the infantry being through basic and all of that other stuff.

Schedule the actual op for the start of your summer or Christmas leave, you'll need about 3 weeks to heal to the point of complete functionality.  I did mine right before deploying on 3-06.  I had 3 weeks to heal up, and my 2 month checkup came during my HLTA.

I had Wavefront PRK done and ended up getting better than 20/20 in the end.

DO NOT go cheapo and get the kind where your eye is sliced.

Think of your eye like an orange, the only part that ever really heals is the peel.  If you cut the fruit, that incision will be there forever.  A strong impact, say from pugil stick fighting, firing the Carl G, or mop bucket jousting can reopen the incision and may cause you to lose vision in that eye.  Most places will recommend the PRK prcedures for anyone who plays sports or is in law enforcement / military.

Wavefront PRK is fired through your lense, the "peel" of your eye is removed first, but the "fruit" is never sliced.  The "peel" heals over in about a week.  There will be alot of checkups done in the first month.  Be prepared for that.

Also, don't forget that you will be on a PCAT for a period of time after your surgery, until everything checks out okay.  I don't believe it's very limiting.  It's posted here somewhere.

Just my 2 cents:  I had wavefront PRK 2 months ago, and I asked the eye surgeon about advantage/disadvantage of LASIK vs PRK.  Lasik heals more quickly and people can get 20/20 almost right away; however the flaps that are created during LASIK never fully reattach to the cornea.  Some rigorous activities might jar/break the flap  :eek:.  He said that a corneal transplant may be needed to rectify that situation.  For that reason, the safety of PRK is higher  than LASIK.
However, PRK takes longer time to heal and to actually reach 20/20 acuity.  In my own experience, there are a lot of discomfort during the first 3 days, but they are bearable.  Day # 2 is the worst  :nod:  During that period, my eyes were very sensitive to light that I had to double-cover the window in my room with dark-colored posters and stayed in there when I awake.  The pain was gone after 3 days. I got to 20/25 and 20/30 after a week, but improved to 20/20 after 1 month.  There was also a lot of fluctuation in my eyesight during that 1st month, e.g. reduced night vision, seeing "double", etc.  Just make sure not to apply the freezing drop too much during that first 3 days, because it can delay the healing. 

Rinker said:
If I got it done I would do custom wavefront PRK, because the eye would have much more structural integrity. However your chances of getting 20/20 would not be as high.

Rinker, I asked this question to my surgeon too.  He said that the chances of getting 20/20 does not depend on the procedures, but rather of your best visual acuity before the surgery.  Say if someone has the best corrected acuity of 20/40 before the surgery, that may be the best acuity reached after the surgery as well.  He also said that it is possible to get better than 20/40, but not guaranteed.

PMedMoe said:
Also, don't forget that you will be on a PCAT for a period of time after your surgery, until everything checks out okay.  I don't believe it's very limiting.  It's posted here somewhere.

But that's only if you tell them about it.  ;)

RCR Grunt said:
But that's only if you tell them about it.  ;)

And then something happens to your eye and you're screwed.  ;)  IIRC, the PCAT is usually only about three months or even less.

Well that sums everything up quite nicely. The orange peel analogy was genius. And 3 months isn't that long if you get it right before Christmas break. Thanks.

I don't believe much in miracles  - karma on the other hand...

From QR&O 34.13 : (2) An officer or non-commissioned member who has received medical care while absent from his base or unit shall report to the medical officer immediately on return.

From HS Instruction 4020-01: Deployment

7. Once identified for deployment, a CF member shall not undertake Laser Eye Surgery without the consent of their CO as it could interfere with operational requirements. Personnel who are postoperative from laser eye surgery, must have completed all follow-up appointments and obtained medical clearance prior to the commencement of pre-deployment training.

MM

It would be the Air Force that contols that. Even admitting you are a griffon pilot, you still accord to the Air Force.

To add to the subject, does anyone apperceive whether humans with glasses can become pilots? Same affair with the eye surgury. Is it an accustomed procedure?

EreZer said:
To add to the subject, does anyone apperceive whether humans with glasses can become pilots? Same affair with the eye surgury. Is it an accustomed procedure?

As opposed to other primates/mammals requiring visual correction?

As to the latter question, for pilots, it's a recent innovation in the CF - something that may have been perceived earlier in this thread and one or two others.

MM

I've met a few pilots where I'd question whether their family lineage is Homo Sapiens, so it's not that unreasonable a question...

The last documentation I saw on laser eye surgery stated you no longer were put on a PCAT after the procedure. You just needed to make sure to get your medical done as soon as possible to update your vision category. However the point MM made above about members identified for deployment is a good one. I'm in the process of trying to get my surgery approved before I head over this spring on the next roto out of here. Would make my life a heck of a lot easier not worrying about ballistic inserts. Mine have been broken in training once already.

"IntraLASIK - bladeless, all laser LASIK"
Source: online info site. looks legitimate. good for overview.
http://www.docshop.com/education/vision/refractive/intralasik/

"NASA approves all-laser LASIK for astronauts"
Source: The European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
http://www.escrs.org/Publications/Eurotimes/08Feb/NASAapprovesalllaser.pdf
- all-laser LASIK is also approved for US military pilots
- I figure, since NASA and US Air Force and Navy approved this type of LASIK for their pilots and astronauts, Canada military won't be too far behind

"Intrastromal Ablation" (Flapless laser eye surgery - not PRK)
Source: blog of some guy who claims to be a retired ophthalmic consultant. good for overview
http://irvaronsjournal.blogspot.com/2008/10/intrastromal-ablation-technology-whose.html
- Personally, i'm really excited about this possibility if it works. No LASIK flaps. No PRK healing issues.

"Another Approach to Intrastromal Ablation - Femtosecond Lenticule Extraction (FLEx®)"
Source: a random online site. looks legitimate. good for general overview.
http://stanford.wellsphere.com/general-medicine-article/another-approach-to-intrastromal-ablation/702637
- Some say Instrastromal Ablation won't work. That this is an alternative. From browsing online, this procedure looks closer to being useable than the Intrastromal Ablation.

I had a successful procedure last month.  I reported it on my last visit to the Base Hospital and all they did was make a note on my record.  I am going for my 1 month check up Saturday.  I have a physical some time this year (waiting lists) and thats all there was to it.  My CoC was aware I was going and I was back to work on the Monday after the procedure (on a Thursday).  I followed the donts, as in No Ball Hocket the Friday after.....

I just went for my enrollment medical and because I had lasik surgery 10 years ago I have to get my vision tested by a Optometrist because I couldn't read the last line of letters.  I even brought with me an eye test I did from 4 months ago stating I had perfect vision and no night vision troubles and they are still making me get the form filled out.  Why is lasik such a bad thing with the Forces?

mariomike said:
How did Ned Flanders put it? "It's great for a while, but at the ten year mark, your eyes fall out!"

I know someone who had a complete reversal less than a year after the surgery.  So, after paying for the procedure, less than a year later - right back at square one.  Pretty rare, I expect, but it's just something else to consider.

Back