• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things beardy-2005 to 2018 (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, a clean shaven soldier looks more sharp than one with patches, a beard, or a goatee.  Thats just MHO.

One significant advantage of the current regulations is that it allows limited variance before someone is clearly outside the acceptable norm.

For sake of discussion, what would you propose as being an new acceptable standard that maintains an appearance of professionalism? I would think that such items as "longer sideburns" or "goatees" might be very difficult to define and regulate.  And authorizing one specific style of "goatee" beard opens up the discussion to challenge for alternate variations, potentially leading to an endless round of debate leading to (gasp!) individuality.

Even the Navy (and Pioneers when we had them) only allowed full beards (Sailors please correct me if I am incorrect) and they must be neatly trimmed. (Notwithstanding the classic photo of the RCR Pioneers on operations with raggedy full beards.) Even this set a single standard that was understandable by all and enforceable.

While a case might be made for revisiting the regulations, the facts remain that the current standard is not outside societal norms, does allow for some variation among individuals (though perhaps not enough for the younger set, though I suspect the difference is less than it was in the 70s when ONLY servicemen has such short hair) and remains easily enforceable.

Matt_Fisher said:
I'm a big proponent of the goatee and monacle look... :p
What,what,what! Ponsenby you don't like a goatee or monocle.
Gad Sir I'll neverrr have you in myy Regimennnnt,you can't even spell Monocle Sir!

Sargent Major,flail that man.

With all the other threads on this topic, do we really need to perpetuate another? If there's a solid reason to keep this one going PM me.

Just to add....the only sailors allowed beards these days are those in a non seagoing billet. On our ship and all ships are going this way its illegal to have a beard.

I will like to have picture of the standard for beard in the army
At my unit, we found a way to make money for different organism,
pay 15 $ first month,
then 5 $ every month,
that give you the oportunity to have a beard,
but i will like to trim mine,
what is the standart ?

I'm curious about something, armymen :

Mil Exp: reserve 2003-2006 (INF 2RNBR) Reg Log 2006-Now

So you went in the reserve at 15 16 ?

From CFP 265

Beards (see Figure 2-2-2)
(a) Subject to procedures established
by commanders of commands,
permission to wear a beard shall
only be granted to all ranks who
wear the naval uniform, wherever
serving; all ranks on strength of an
infantry pioneer platoon; adherents
of the Sikh religion (see Section 3);
and personnel, on the direction of a
medical officer, subject to medical
reassessment at intervals not
exceeding six months. Other
personnel shall shave off their
beards.
(b) Where beards are authorized, they
shall be worn with a moustache;
kept neatly trimmed, especially on
the lower neck and cheekbones;
and not exceed 2.5 cm (1 in.) in
bulk.
(c) When a beard is grown or removed,
identification documents shall be
replaced in accordance with
security regulations

The NFLD Grinch said:
From CFP 265

Beards (see Figure 2-2-2)
(a) Subject to procedures established
by commanders of commands,
permission to wear a beard shall
only be granted to all ranks who
wear the naval uniform, wherever
serving; all ranks on strength of an
infantry pioneer platoon; adherents
of the Sikh religion (see Section 3);
and personnel, on the direction of a
medical officer, subject to medical
reassessment at intervals not
exceeding six months. Other
personnel shall shave off their
beards.
(b) Where beards are authorized, they
shall be worn with a moustache;
kept neatly trimmed, especially on
the lower neck and cheekbones;
and not exceed 2.5 cm (1 in.) in
bulk.
(c) When a beard is grown or removed,
identification documents shall be
replaced in accordance with
security regulations
thanks  NFLD Grinch
If somebody have any pic of the standard like ?
im visual, lol

armymen said:
thanks  NFLD Grinch
If somebody have any pic of the standard like ?
im visual, lol

bottom of my post has the fol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FIGURE 2-2-2.pdf (75.94 KB - downloaded 3 times.)

click there and you will see the picture.

yea the vandoos seem to have a lot nof skin irritation in their ranks it seems. I can see  some lack of shaving when deployed in the field when water is short but when in garrison i dont think theres any real reason for it .
modded to correct a typo

Yrys said:
I'm curious about something, armymen :

Mil Exp: reserve 2003-2006 (INF 2RNBR) Reg Log 2006-Now

So you went in the reserve at 15 16 ?

Not an uncommon thing Yrys....

I joined in '85 at the age of 16.

armymen said:
I will like to have picture of the standard for beard in the army
At my unit, we found a way to make money for different organism,
pay 15 $ first month,
then 5 $ every month,
that give you the oportunity to have a beard,
but i will like to trim mine,
what is the standart ?

Curious - so what you're saying is that all I have to do to have a beard now is to pay someone? Cool. Add this to the list of 265 circumventions and wait for it - we'll all be choosing our own colors and limited to only 8 facial piercings soon enough.

How is it there are Sr NCO's out there that are completely clueless? Not to mention a soldier with over 5 years experience who has no clue what his facial hair should look like and where to find the order. I give up.

BinRat55 said:
Curious - so what you're saying is that all I have to do to have a beard now is to pay someone? Cool. Add this to the list of 265 circumventions and wait for it - we'll all be choosing our own colors and limited to only 8 facial piercings soon enough.

How is it there are Sr NCO's out there that are completely clueless? Not to mention a soldier with over 5 years experience who has no clue what his facial hair should look like and where to find the order. I give up.

Sounds like they're donating the money to charity (I'm assuming the poster in a Franco and organism = organisation). If it's allowed under the regs I don't see what's wrong with it. In fact, it seems like a good idea for a charity fundraiser to me.

Beards, moustaches....same thing. 

Piper said:
Sounds like they're donating the money to charity (I'm assuming the poster in a Franco and organism = organisation). If it's allowed under the regs I don't see what's wrong with it. In fact, it seems like a good idea for a charity fundraiser to me.

Beards, moustaches....same thing. 

You will find that what you are refering to are usualy "beard growing contests" that run between specific dates and have strict rules ( like going away on TD, courses, etc...) not what the posted was describing.

CDN Aviator said:
You will find that what you are refering to are usualy "beard growing contests" that run between specific dates and have strict rules ( like going away on TD, courses, etc...) not what the posted was describing.

I'm just going by what I can gather from what he said. I.e. he has to pay to grow a beard to support different 'organisms' (read orgs). I'm just asking BinRat55 why he seems so opposed to the idea. You ARE allowed to grow a beard, according to the regs, it's been going on for years and I haven't seen any CF members with a minimum '8 piercings' yet. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back