• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

airsoft?

H

HGI

Hey what's up,  just wondering if airsoft was ever used for training.

well I'm not in yet but I'm pretty sure airsoft is not used. i do know for a fact paint ammunition is used as well as a lazer system where you have sensors on your body that will buzz if you get killed(i can't remember what its called). but like i said I'm not in yet so don't quote me, ha ha.

I know the guys out in 2 VP were looking into it. wether or not it ever happend, who knows. I know 4 RCR is using it, since getting simmunation out for night training is expensive and pointless. they've got a guy in that unit that sells airsoft stuff as his partial day job, so that's why we used it when I was there. I don't know of any other units using it though. personally I'd much rather see airsoft opposed to simmunation, but that's just me.
Greg

My buddy just got back from the British army about a month ago and he was showing  me photos of the training he did.  He just told me they used the lazer system once because of the price it cost, then the rest of the training was done with blanks and live rounds.  I'm guessing that airsoft isn't used because of the cost it would be to get new guns and have them looked after.

shaboing said:
well I'm not in yet but I'm pretty sure airsoft is not used. i do know for a fact paint ammunition is used as well as a lazer system where you have sensors on your body that will buzz if you get killed(i can't remember what its called). but like i said I'm not in yet so don't quote me, ha ha.

Actually Simunitions are not PAINT...they are a mix of a wax and chalk red filling.

how well does air soft shoot, range,accuracy, effects on pesonalle and gear, cost of wpns systems and maintanence of such. thanxs

well i payed 500$ canadian for my m4a1 stock with the battery.  i just got it upgraded with a better spring so it'll be shooting just under 400fps  but you can tweak airsoft guns to shoot over 500fps witch would brake skin........    anyhow the bbs are cheap and they're battery powered.... other than the gass blow back guns witch use green gass.
but if you keep the gun stock and you lube it with silocon spray once ever 2nd time using it then it;ll be fine for at least 2 years  but once you upgrade them you'll find your gun will need new parts every 6-12month

The problem with Airsoft is that there is no way to know if you've been hit since your wearing so much equipment, you might not feel it, at least with simunitions you can see that your hit..

Tpr.Orange said:
shaboing said:

Actually Simunitions are not PAINT...they are a mix of a wax and chalk red filling.

ah, snazzy. i just saw a few guys in the regiment i have applied for that obviously died in the exercise and they referred to it as paint prob cause it was just easier to explain, haha. lazy bastards. but anyway, thanks for the info. also, i have played paintball and the balls are soo inaccurate, how accurate is the simunation, is it about the same as firing a real bullet?

umm well an upgraded gun shooting .25's on single fire is quite accurate.  But the bolt action rifles are vary accurate.

So when your, you know, shooting your friends with BBs, what kinda protective gear do you wear? Full face mask? Will these suckers break the skin pretty deep if you get shot close?

The laser system that everyone is referring to is called MILES gear. You wear a number of sensors on your body and attach a small device on to your rifle loaded with blank rounds. When you fire a blank round, the device sends a laser out in the direction you're aiming, and when a sensor is hit, it starts beeping. In my opinion, the system is quite good because you can use your own weapons, and the range and trajectory is virtually unchanged (although some cheating of the system is possible).

I know a while back the CF was using a type of simunitions with 5.56 ammo, but they found that the velocity at which the balls travelled was causing too many injuries (or so I was told) and so they ceased purchasing it. The big problem with using airsoft or conventional paintball is that the trajectory and range are far different than firing conventional ammo, so would develop bad habits in a lot of firers. I don't see the CF using either; it doesn't seem to be a good training tool.

We still use simunitions and have purchased quite a few upper receivers for use by units.   You use your own weapons lower receiver, take out the buffer and the spring.   Insert the suminition upper receiver and buffer.   Replace your bolt with a 9mm simunition one and voila you're ready to go.    It's a great training tool for FIBUA.  

On a side note in Edmonton we have a new facility, for practicing FIBUA, near the ASU.   It's currently only a small mock-up but plans are in place to use another building in the same area to practice up to Pl+ attacks in a MOUT environment.

There are a few discussions and pictures to be found on this site if you want more info....

shaboing said:
Tpr.Orange said:
shaboing said:

is it about the same as firing a real bullet?

*BUMP*

I am looking into doing a comparison of the merits of airsoft as a military training tool. It is important to note I am thinking small, IE: outfitting for 10-30 people.

Is there a benefit for reserve unit buying these things, where going to the range is too costly, and the SAT doesn't cut it. Actually, the Range doesn't cut it either.
In training for reacting to ambush, or defending a CP or what have you, I think that airsoft could fill a unique niche and provide a useful tool that won't require uber special training areas, unbelievably expensive equipment, or unprecedented safety measures.

What do y'all think? Has anyone used airsoft and : MILES, Simunition, etc and can provide some insight?

You use your own weapons lower receiver, take out the buffer and the spring.   Insert the suminition upper receiver and buffer.   Replace your bolt with a 9mm simunition one and voila you're ready to go.

All you do is take your normal upper receiver off and replace it with the simunition one (which comes bolt included). I don't know where you   got the idea you have to change buffer and spring.

Also regardng the accuracy of the simunition, it is quite unaccurate anything more than close range.

You know you revived this topic from July with the exact same question as the original?

IMO, Airsoft would make a usefull tool for fibua training, because or their size and realism, but can not replace range etc. because it is not accurate enough, like shooting a bb gun (which it essentially is) down the range. Airsoft fires at a velocity of about 350fps, and the projectiles are 6mm, and typically wheigh 0.2g. So, as you can imagine, they do not have close to the same physics as a real rifle, therefore they can't be relied upon for any training that involves the need for accuracy over 100ft.

The Simunition kits we used this summer had replacement buffers, perhaps there is more than one version of the kit in the system.

That must be the case. The sim kits I've used (and only ever seen) don't come with the buffer, have the handguards all in blue, and has the barrel length of a C8, quite different from your picture.

Back