• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircraft commander, has urged the UK Ministry of Defence to reconsider the early retirement of the C-130J Hercules fleet.

RCAF

? King Airs....its a secret
4x Bombardier Challangers
4x A310 but adding new
5x C17
17x C130J
12x C130H
16x C-295
4x DHC twin otters
4x DHC dash 8

the H models should be replaced with new Hercs...they are pretty long in the tooth.

I highly doubt it. I see a larger need for a couple more C-17's...

Any C-17s in the Davis-Monthan Boneyard that could be resurrected? Beyond that where would we get them?

Any C-17s in the Davis-Monthan Boneyard that could be resurrected?
No.

Old C5A Galaxy and C-141 Starlifters, no C-17
Beyond that where would we get them?
1) Shake down some countries on the used market, however most countries that have them want more.

2) Find a coalition of the willing to commit to buying 100 or so to get Boeing to re-open the line.

3) Buy in early to Boeing’s Next Gen Strat Airlift program.

Any C-17s in the Davis-Monthan Boneyard that could be resurrected? Beyond that where would we get them?

about 9 years ago when we took delivery of the last one (4 at the time) it was obvious with their high op temp that at least one more airframe was required (due to maintenance snags etc) so the RCAF actually 'took' one off the line from the USAF. I do not think it would be that hard to get a few more fairly quickly and right off the factory floor.

USAF has ~200 of them

about 9 years ago when we took delivery of the last one (4 at the time) it was obvious with their high op temp that at least one more airframe was required (due to maintenance snags etc) so the RCAF actually 'took' one off the line from the USAF. I do not think it would be that hard to get a few more fairly quickly and right off the factory floor.

USAF has ~200 of them
Except that...there is no longer a factory floor...since the factory is no longer producing C-17's.

Except that...there is no longer a factory floor...since the factory is no longer producing C-17's.
Exactly, and we have put way more hours on them than ever expected in the short time they have been airborne, we won’t be in any hurry to sell any.

Boeing closed the line, and is working on the replacement. So unless someone comes up with a large order ~100, Boeing isn’t going to reopen production.

All of this points to the need of all Governments to buy more than the expected need.
IMHO Canada should have gotten 15-20 C-17’s at the minimum. If for nothing else then having spares and the ability to provide some surge capability.

All of this points to the need of all Governments to buy more than the expected need.
IMHO Canada should have gotten 15-20 C-17’s at the minimum. If for nothing else then having spares and the ability to provide some surge capability.
Some officials saw some of that light and tried to suggested getting not only the 5th, but a 6th C-17 back in 2015.

DIDN'T WE BUY 4 OF 5 GREEN TAILS ONLY AFTER PRODUCTION CLOSED?

Thank god we got the ones we did, I bet the Liberals grit their teeth and quietly say "Thank Christ Harper got these things". This was a capability we did not have before. The new cargo carriers will help reduce flight hours and some new C130J's would also help as well.

FTFY

Point being, the RCAF is notably later to the game of UAS than the other services.
When a project encompasses capability, infrastructure, ISS, weapons, etc, etc, it really is a program.

What the Navy, SOFCOM and Army are using is nowhere near what the capability RPAS will deliver. The vast majority of their UAS are micro to small UAS which are much easier to procure and oversee (although I thought the WSM was mostly unwilling to deviate from the list of 5-6 UAS on their pre-approved list….). There is an evident use for those by the other elements but I am not sure what they would bring to the RCAF beyond perimeter security (which is, according to RCAF doctrine, a Canadian Army task when deployed).

When a project encompasses capability, infrastructure, ISS, weapons, etc, etc, it really is a program.

What the Navy, SOFCOM and Army are using is nowhere near what the capability RPAS will deliver. The vast majority of their UAS are micro to small UAS which are much easier to procure and oversee (although I thought the WSM was mostly unwilling to deviate from the list of 5-6 UAS on their pre-approved list….). There is an evident use for those by the other elements but I am not sure what they would bring to the RCAF beyond perimeter security (which is, according to RCAF doctrine, a Canadian Army task when deployed).
That doctrine about relying on the Army for perimeter security might be due for an overhaul…

Back