• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force

adonis

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm only in grade 9 but I am planning to become either an airplane pilot or an infantry unit. To become a Pilot, what courses would I have to take in school? Do I have to take acedemic math throught the years?

Stay in academic everything. You need to be able to get into university or RMC (pilots need at least a bachelor's degree). I have no experience with CEOTP, so I couldn't comment on how that works. I'd advise you to join Air Cadets if you havn't... you'll learn a lot.

Remember to do a search on this site and on the net. The DND Air Force web site will give you most of the info you need...

Take as much courses as you can.  You'll need a degree.  I did Air Cadets before joining the CFs and I don't think it helped me at all so any extra-curricular activities would do the trick.  Get involved in the community that will help when comes time to get selected.

Good Luck,

Max

Humble suggestion: Consider getting involved in leadership activities as well, look into the Reserves and ROTP when the time comes.

I did join Air Cadets, but I left because it was honestly boring and I did not learn anything new

I did join Air Cadets, but I left because it was honestly boring and I did not learn anything new and there you go and any further suggestions would be just wasted on you.

adonis said:
I did join Air Cadets, but I left because it was honestly boring and I did not learn anything new

That's unfortunate.  My oldest son was an Air Cadet.  He earned his glider license and power license through the Air Cadet program.  He was a licensed pilot before he had a driver's license!!  (He got his driver's license under pressure from me - I was tired of getting up at 0500 on Saturdays and Sundays to drive him 50 km to the airfield).  My youngest son was in Sea Cadets (in the Band - that's where his interest lay).  Both of them spent many enjoyable summers at various camps and courses.

It was my observation that the quality of the individual units varied greatly - the variance is partially due to such things as personality of the CO, support from the affiliated CF unit, etcetera.

My suggestion to you would be to look for another Cadet Corps in your area (Army, Sea, or Air - they all have their good points) that may be more appealing to your personal likes and dislikes.

Good luck to you.

Roy Harding

Cadets is what you make of it, even if you come from a not so great Squadron.  My unit has a paid flying instructor and a ground school that has been so successful at cranking out pilots that we now offer it to 3 other units in the area that pay us for the services.  There are other examples of this at other units in Canada.

I think Air Cadets could certainly be useful to you because you want to become a pilot, i could see the debate if it was any other trade.  You will have the opportunity to start working towards your Pilots liciense before you join the forces.  I can't see how that could not help! Do you homework and find a unit with an active flying program in your area.

hope that helps,

PV

I had my glider pilot license and PPL in the cadets.  Really, it didn't help me at all...  During PFT, we learn everything from scratch... And a lot of things are different than Civilian world.  Actually, depending on the individual, it can be a setback since some people will want to stick to their old habbits learned through their PPL...

Max

Well, im usually extremly busy on thursday nights (thats when I have aircadets) and my parents didnt like driving me every night because it would end like at 11...

If I join the reserves as a pilot, would they still train me and get my pilot's liscence for "Free"?

adonis said:
If I join the reserves as a pilot, would they still train me and get my pilot's liscence for "Free"?

Short (and to the point) answer is No.

I had my glider pilot license and PPL in the cadets.  Really, it didn't help me at all...  During PFT, we learn everything from scratch... And a lot of things are different than Civilian world.  Actually, depending on the individual, it can be a setback since some people will want to stick to their old habbits learned through their PPL...

Max

Fair enough, i have heard the oposite from people i was in cadets with but am not a pilot of any sort myself.

cheers

PV

So Air Cadets blows just because it didn't give you guys an edge over the other Air Force applicants? Personally, I'd rather see a Cadet eager to serve his/her squadron and the community rather than expect to get a head start at flight training.

Being a glider/power Cadet myself, I respect the dedication and money the Air Cadets provided. I hope I don't fall into the trap of thinking that because I was a Cadet, I have automatic superiority over everyone else trying to get their wings.

P.S.: Use Spell Check people...

Matty B. said:
So Air Cadets blows just because it didn't give you guys an edge over the other Air Force applicants? Personally, I'd rather see a Cadet eager to serve his/her squadron and the community rather than expect to get a head start at flight training.

Being a glider/power Cadet myself, I respect the dedication and money the Air Cadets provided. I hope I don't fall into the trap of thinking that because I was a Cadet, I have automatic superiority over everyone else trying to get their wings.

P.S.: Use Spell Check people...

I never said that Air Cadet blows.  I just say that if people think it gives an edge on everybody else in pilot training, well, it really doesn't (personal experience).  No I didn't do all the cadets thing because I wanted an advantage during my pilot training but I did it for fun.  But I can also say that if one doesn't want to join the cadets then, I don't think he'll be behind everybody for the recruiting process / BOTC.  Things are different in the Forces than what they are in the cadets movement.  I say that mostly any community volunteering / sports is equivalent.  In fact, 3 days ago, on grad parade, a lot of my friends never went through the cadets and still graduated just as any ex-cadets did...

Max

Sorry to seem so stand-offish... I agree fully with your last post, Max. Congrads on the graduation too!

I just respect the Air Cadet movement, that's all. I agree that Air Cadets is certainly by no means a prerequisite to flying in the Air Force, but I do think it's valuable in many ways. Myself, I found the Cadet drill, uniform maintenance and leadership lessons useful... but all I remember from flight training was buzzing cows in Alberta and thinking that I was all that... well... hopefully my ego has subsided.

You wanna be a pilot in the CF, here's what you do:

1. Do well in high school. You need good grades to get into a solid university program.

2. Apply to a university with an Aviation degree (or something of the sort). For example, Western University has a Commercial Aviation Management Program. This is basically a commerce degree + a commercial pilot's license. Total tuition for 4 years = $70,000.

3. Go ROTP. The military will pay for your entire degree. Assuming everything goes to plan, you'll be out of school at 22-23 and heading to Moose Jaw to fly the Harvard. You get to skip PFT in Portage which is probably why the military would pay so much for your degree. The cost to put a pilot throught PFT costs $50,000.

Now, this is by no means a guarantee that you will be a CF pilot, but you'll be going to flight school with a ton of flight hours (approx. 250hrs) and that equals a lot more confidence.

Anyways, that's just an idea. A good way to use the system to your advantage IMO.

I have a question about the C.F. that one of my friends wanted me to ask. Is it possible to join the C.F. if you have insulin dependent (type1) diabeties?

If no one responds to your friend's question on this site, definitely ask your local recruiter.

Back