• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aggression

Honestly, I had never herd of them since before your first post here. My next purchase at the book store will be ether one of yours or German for dummies.

writing permits us to put things into perspective.
Understand ourselves even..... and it is an achievement.

Will be going on vacation - might even look up your book - stranger things have been known to happen

Chimo!

I was reading this topic, and it got me thinking: I've wanted to try a MA or something following the same lines of H2H defense, but I don't know what would be good. Ninjyutsu sounds interesting, but since there are no certified ninjas that I know of in southern BC, I have to look for something else. What would be a good MA to learn? Thanks.

Auto Sapper:  I also trained in Aikido.  It has many similarities to Ninjustu.  It also seems to attract the right sort of people.  i.e. no bad attitudes.  I would strongly recommend this to anybody.

In the past, I've trained as a Boxer and in Jujitsu in the marines.  These are offensive arts where the one with the most strength and aggression generally wins. 

Ninjutsu and Aikido tend to use the opponents strength and energy.  The movements come in a powerful flow and power overcomes strength.  Inevitably martial arts don't make you invincible, but realistically they ensure you have a better chance.

Regards

Steven Preece

If anyone has read either of my books and has any questions, please ask. 

Guy E:  Re:  Ninjas - Try these Links:

http://www.bujinkanbc.com/WELCOME.htm

http://www.ninjutsu.com/dojos-links.shtml

http://www.ninjutsu.ca/

Or Aikido

http://www.google.co.uk/local?hl=en&lr=&q=aikido&near=Vancouver,+BC,+Canada&sa=X&oi=localr

Regards

Steve

Thank you Steven, That was more of a sarcastic remark directed toward Auto-Sapper.

But thanks again.

Sorry my friend but I disagree.  No sarcasm is meant from my posts.  Its not my style.  I'm direct.  That's the way I've always been.

Steve

Man after my own heart....
"As subtle as a blunt pic-axe"

When I was a boot neck I was known as a man of few words.  My bite was worse than my bark.

These days I'm totally in control of my actions. 

That's important.

Has anybody had any similar experiences to me during and after leaving the armed forces?

Regards

Steve

Steven...
as you move up in rank, you get responsibility therapy.....
as you become a section commander, your troops are looking to you for control & decisions... as a Pl 1 i/c & CSM it gets even worse and
by the time you reach WO1 - you're cured ;)
(though the treatment might kill ya)
:warstory:

Geo,
       with all due respect my friend, I never reached the dizzy heights of promotion because I couldn't keep my nose clean.  However, when on duty I was very much in control.  A good Sergeant and/or CSM were always worth their weight in gold.

Best regards

Steve

believe it or not.... your Sgts & CSMs were giving you therapy... along with motivational training.... regardless of how much of it might (or might not) have shown at the time, they gave you discipline that you, at a later time, were able to develop into the self control you show today.

Cheers!

Thanks geo.  I agree with and appreciate your comments.  I am fairly sure that my current status and professional ability was molded into shape by my career in the marines.  It is undoubtedly a good foundation to put life's building blocks together in preparation for the rest of your life.

Many Thanks

Steve

Steve,

Just a thought. Is it possible that aggression has a stronger correlation with youth and maturity than it does with any other influence?

Being raised in a strong traditional Christian home I was taught the ways of kindness and even humility by turning the other cheek now and then. In grade 3 after coming home with a black eye after catching the wrath of the schoolyard bully, my mother thought it best that I learn how to defend myself, and that I build my body accordingly. By grade 5, I know that I had achieved the respect of my peers by competing in phys.ed. wrestling tournaments. By highschool I was known as the person that preyed on bullies. If there was someone that was known for picking on those that were weaker than themselves, I would make it a point to confront that person. I was well liked for that quality and became very popular because of it. I got into boxing, joined the highschool wrestling team and played on the other 'tough' sports, rugby and football. By the time I started frequenting bars I had the reputation of the guy that finished fights. I never started them, but I was too willing to finish them.

In my mid-twenties I started bouncing for a friend of mine at one of his nightclubs. It wasn't until working that position that I started to respect my own (in the little world of nightclubs) did I start to respect my own power. Not physical power. But mental power. The ability to control my rage, while fulfilling the requisites of my job. To further suppress my aggression it wasn't until I had a child that I was given the ability to levy patience. Plenty of patience. Now that I am a bit older, it's not that I am incapable of dispensing aggression, it will surely come out if I am cornered, but now I find that I have the ability live out those qualities I learned when I was younger.

Maturity is a wonderful thing, unfortunately it comes at different stages. Even more unfortunate... sometimes it never comes for others.

Raymao:  It sounds like you and I achieved the same result via a different path.  However, gladly we were both successful.

At the start of my first book "Amongst The Marines" I beaten and bullied at my first commando unit just after the Falklands war.  From then on I never turned down violence, but embraced it.  Generally I was out of control where alcohol was involved.  I wasn't the only one.  My aggression was without doubt immense.  However, that said, I still reamined popular with my colleagues because I stood my ground against people who brought trouble to me.  I was a boxer in the mid 80's but my deadliest weapon was my headbutt.  They used to say that I would have been the world champion if I was wearing a glove on my head in the ring.  Gladly I use my head very differently these days.

After I left the marines (Book No2. Always A Marine) I had to learn to switch off from reacting in this manner.  My journey took me half way across the world and was at times heart breaking.  Thankfully as fate would have it I ended up in the world of the ninjas, who view aggression as a sign of weakness.  It was the total opposite from everything I had ever known but thankfully the recipe I needed to control my aggression and to move on with my life.  Not forgetting of course, my wife and children.  They were always there in my time of need.  I must admit.  I feel I have been very lucky and am grateful that I was given the opportunity to write about it. 

Best Regards

Steve

Back