• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Vets: What do you think of this?

Bzzliteyr

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Hey guys, I stumbled upon a picture over at militaryphotos.net the other day and I saw this item that peaked my interest.  I am here to ask if it has any validity over in the sandbox.  Remember, I am a LAV crewman so I do have a little extra room that any ground pounders.  I'd just like to see what we think in here?

Looks cozy:

http://www.kamprite.com/pages/products

Thanks, Bzz.

Looks cozy, and I'm sure it would be nice to have, but we bearly had room for air mattresses in the LAV with cases or water, ammo, food, smallpacks with a little bit of personal kit, mission escential kit etc. etc. 

You also have to consider that anything you take over, you have to be willing to lose it.  When one of our LAVs was damaged, left in place, then destroyed in Panjwayi, it's section lost all kinds of expensive personal kit; Cameras, civi sleeping gear, etc.

Also consider how you'd get it over there. They don't see to pack up real small; about the size of a regular lawn chair with some extra padding...  Might be a task getting it over.

Just some things to keep in mind.  But if you can get away with it, your section / crew / LAV can spare the space, and you're willing to part with it if required, then I'd say take it.

Good points.. I am sure we'll be sending soome QM stuff over on it's own.. and I am sure I could tuck it in with that. On a side note.. even if it doesn't go overseas, I bet it'd make some Canadian exercises more comfy.

I'd use it just for camping on my own time... easier than a normal tent.  Too bad it doesn't break down any more, would be nice to have in the field, but I wouldn't want a 'Chez Lounge' sized piece of kit hanging off my ruck in the bush.

i517331sn01.jpg

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0038264517331a&type=product&cmCat=Search_Results_NYR-search_redir&returnPage=search-results2.jsp&Ne=2510&noImage=0&Ntt=cot&Ntk=Products&QueryText=cot&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=4450&trueNum=23&cmCat=search_redir

I call top bunk!!!!!

I'd like to buy this one actually.
i513718sn01.jpg

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0020839513718a&type=product&cmCat=Search_Results_NYR-search_redir&returnPage=search-results2.jsp&Ne=2510&noImage=0&Ntt=cot&Ntk=Products&QueryText=cot&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=4450&trueNum=23&cmCat=search_redir

Garett said:

I've had that for about 6 years now, works well with the G.I. Cot, also purchased the side pocket organizer. In Iraq it was worth it's weight in gold keeping gear off the floor.

Go buy a swag if you want a good sort of tent like thing. Jump on Google if you dont know what that is. It'll roll up easily and if you take the padding out from inside is pretty tiny. I use mine out bush and its awesome. Better then a tent by far. You just unroll it, unzip it and get in. No poles.

Buzz,

I'll bet if you ask the other black hatters your with, who've BTDT, they'll tell you pretty darn quick what they think. If you want my opinion, PM me. You likely won't care for it though.

Is it a secret opinion??  Might it compromize OPSEC?  Then feel free to share it.. 

I am not an investor in the compnay that makes these... just asked whether or not people had ideas...

Hey Bzz
For guys of our "stature" I suggest going with the "Funcot"

"Made tough like Dad's Tent Cot, the  includes a welded & coated aluminum frame, 4 sturdy legs for greater stability and entry from all 4 sides, "no-see-um" insect netting on each of the 4 tent openings, and tent material made of durable 210D poly-oxford fabric waterproofed with a PU coating. Plus, just like Dad's Fun Cot can convert into a lounge in just seconds!"

Sad thing is....After looking at the spec's I think it would actually work. ;D

Junk, cots are not ideal, it is better to be on the ground when there is a threat of attack or indirect fire. A good ground mat is a better investment. How fast can you get out of that thing when under fire? Not very fast at allI'd say. The only time I allowed cots to be used were when we were in secure areas with bunkers to sleep in.

MG34 said:
Junk, cots are not ideal, it is better to be on the ground when there is a threat of attack or indirect fire. A good ground mat is a better investment. How fast can you get out of that thing when under fire? Not very fast at allI'd say. The only time I allowed cots to be used were when we were in secure areas with bunkers to sleep in.

With regards to reacting to fire, the best place to bunk your LAV crews is in the vehicle itself.  Crew commander and gunner in the back, driver in his hatch.  We did this in our boat, and were consistently the first vehicle booted up and scanning during a midnight stand-to.  I bought a slumber jack for my tour, like a little one man tent with a bugscreen in it, only pulled it out once but never slept in it, save your money for replacement lenses for your goggles.

My time in a section was brief but I agree with Grunty there... We always had at least a senior guy sleeping in the vehicle so that if anything fishy was afoot they could wake him(read me...) up so that if call Had to be made right then and there at least some no hook gunner wasn't left sitting there with no guidance. Sometimes the the turret had a MCpl on shift too and sometimes not...it was just good to have that.

As for those bunks your wasting you money. Buy a pillow They have a good one at the PX) as rocks suck and after that you'll be fine. Cot's are nice in a semi secure environment and you'll have to remember thoughthat they are 100% expendable you may have to drive away and forget about them. I know some CQ's that might not like that idea at all. In fact any kit you take out to sleep in is 100% expendable and you must be willing to loose it.

The LAV should be constantly manned at any rate,nothing new there./ The GIBs sleep around it in shell scrapes or behind cover, never iin a tent,or on a cot. Unless you are in a secured area ,no need for anythinh othger than a sleeping mat needed.

+1

In my experience, when you're out and about you take sleep whenever and whereever you can.  Comfort is one of the last things on your mind.  A Ridgerest style mat and maybe a small pillow are all that is required. Most of the places that you can get a better sleep (ie FOB's, Patrol Bases) already have stocks of cots in place.

When manning my LAV, when the 2IC or myself wasn't on shift, one of us would be racked out on a back bench with the speaker cranked.  I had to do the head smashing, kit grabbing, mad crawl into the turret more than once.

A 'no-hook gunner' is more thsan capable to do a shift in the turret without guidance.  If he is'nt, then he shouldn't be over there in the first place.  To say that a no- hook Pte needs constant supervision does little to develop their potential.  As for people sleeping in their vehicles, each to their own on that one, but as far as I have experianced, the extra seconds to get into the car from sleeping outside does no damage at all.  But then again, I trust the capabilities and skills of my 'no-hookers' 110%.

No no not saying he was supervised at all times just that a senior guy was there in case...and extra measure of security....Heck mostly they just slept through the night or got woke by the Cannon rocking it was just like I said that extra little in case.

Kiwi99 said:
A 'no-hook gunner' is more thsan capable to do a shift in the turret without guidance.  If he is'nt, then he shouldn't be over there in the first place.  To say that a no- hook Pte needs constant supervision does little to develop their potential.  As for people sleeping in their vehicles, each to their own on that one, but as far as I have experianced, the extra seconds to get into the car from sleeping outside does no damage at all.  But then again, I trust the capabilities and skills of my 'no-hookers' 110%.

To add on to HoM's comment, I also trusted all my section completely.  Having said that,  I didn't want to miss any second of a wng o coming over the BG net and split second ROE decisions were made a lot easier by having a senior guy close by. 

Yeah what the Sgt said  :)

It's just the added insurance that was a useful as a just in case measure with the benefit of making sure some sort of CoC was available in case of radio contact. allot easier to yell down to the crew compartment then to hop out of the turret and run around trying to find the right green lump.

Bzzliteyr said:
Hey guys, I stumbled upon a picture over at militaryphotos.net the other day and I saw this item that peaked my interest.  I am here to ask if it has any validity over in the sandbox.  Remember, I am a LAV crewman so I do have a little extra room that any ground pounders.  I'd just like to see what we think in here?

Looks cozy:

http://www.kamprite.com/pages/products

Thanks, Bzz.

With the summer coming I want to try and get lots of camping in. Though I know you've posted the link for feedback pertaining to bringing it on Deployment,  I think I would like to have one for myself for when I do go camping. Thank you for sharing the link for them.

~Rebecca

Back