• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Affordable Personal TV & Internet in Afghanistan

MOOXE

Inactive
Reaction score
I am still deployed here, currently in CNS. I am using Global Connect wireless to get a connection in my room. I know there are some companies like Iridium that will sell you internet and tv at a huge price. Are thier any affordable companies to go with, for one or the other, so you can get service in the FOBs?

If I brought my ExpressVu dish and reciever, would I be able to use it here?

KAF has a private company providing internet services, etc for about 35 USD month (I believe it was 256 kbit down, 64kbit up) as well as TV. Your BEV dish won't work as the NIMIQ satellites are pointed over North America. A FTA dish could possibly gain you some channels, but they would be from that end of the world. Google would hold some answers on that effect. You're pretty much stuck with Global Connect if you're in CNS unless you want to spend your Hazard pay each month on internet.

i am going over there  for 6 months soon, i am bringin my  own laptop, have to buy one first lol
what  do i have to do to get internet access over there?
do i need to sign up or is there free access?
i just want to send the odd email and pictures home

any  input would be great

WTF? CNS has wireless? Must be nice...meanwhile FOBs go without for weeks at a time.

I doubt Bell even has coverage that far on the other side of the globe...be thankful for what you have MOOXE.

Regards

Wow, things have come a long way... 

In my short time there, I recall having no internet or phone access for two weeks (less a sat-phone that cut out all the time)... and when we got into PB Wilson, there was 2 computers with Sat-internet that might as well have been dial-up... and with 3 platoons in PBW, there were long lines.

After I left, I didn't hear from anyone until around Christmas.. There was no internet out at the newly built strong points... and they were living in a ditch near the strong points for 57 days after leaving Spin Baldak. 

When everyone came home, I started hearing the stories about FOB Martello (sp)... 7+ months of 2 sat-phones and no internet (or computers, really)... they were more concerned with the lack of cleaning facilities, water, proper toilets and eating something that's not in a bag.

Now I get e-mails almost daily from buddies out in FOBs... Guys are updating their Facebook status and blogs daily... I seem to recall a strong sense of disconnection when I was out of the wire, and when we were back in, oh so briefly, the internet in KAF was only available in the trailers by Canada house... the line ups were long and, again, you might as well be on dial up.

Jeez... I feel like I'm telling a "back in my day" story...  We fought all our battles in waist deep snow, uphill, with the wind blowing towards us, and all that...  It was only 3 years ago...
makes me wish I could go back... it seems as though it would be like having all the comforts of home while in a war zone... soon troops will be complaining that they their refrigerators aren't keeping their beer cold enough, and the pool in KAF is always full of kids.
lol_hitting.gif

Craziness

A year after your roto, Piper, Wilson was still the same way. Couple months into my tour, the internet seacans started showing up alongside the phone seacans. Its a good system now, and I believe it was badly needed. Probably goes a long way to lessen the "Us vs. Them" attitude for the OTW types. Probably end up being a small Timmies at MSG soon...

Not at MSG but there will be an expanded one at Canada House soon...........

Just curious if anyone got the american company to wire the ISOs? They could hav emade a killing.

PuckChaser said:
Probably end up being a small Timmies at MSG soon...

Sweeeeeeeeeet  I hope this is true.  I'm in the T- XX days (not many, actual number =OPSEC) stage till I get there.

Edited to change numbers

Catalyst said:
Just curious if anyone got the american company to wire the ISOs? They could hav emade a killing.

Weatherhavens were wired when I was there last year, best $45 bucks I've ever spent for internet. I'm certain the company has approached the NCE and gotten permission to run their switches and wires into the buildings.

PuckChaser said:
Probably end up being a small Timmies at MSG soon...

Seeing as I just got back from there....don't hold yer breath. Nice rumour to start though.

Regards

Retail was definately talked about at some of the FOBs........however don't expect it any time soon.

However, we did send you some RUTR cups ;)

I had the high speed internet service in my weatherhaven..... 100USD per month.  I paid for one month (Feb 09) and will NOT renew.  Service was available about 50% of the time and d/l speed was a whopping 5Kb per sec.  Just so you really realize how bad it blows, I am reimbursed for that service, but, out of principle I will not reward crap service.  I was kind of ok with the slow d/l since basic pages loaded up within a short time, but video (youtube etc) was out of the question.  I am told it has improved somewhat for at least being available.  Service at Old Canada House is fine for me and although video is slow to load, at least you can at about 15 Kb Per Sec.  Faster if only a few people are online.

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
Seeing as I just got back from there....don't hold yer breath. Nice rumour to start though.

It was more sarcasm than rumour starting.

Current situation of the camps I spent time at are as follows...

KAF - All shacks (AFAIK) are wired to recieve your AAFES internet and cable TV. Internet starts at 70 USD per month, add another 15 USD and you get cable TV with a bunch of channels. This internet is unfiltered, non firewalled do whatchuwant style, the speed is anywhere from mere bytes to 30kb/sec. You can pay for better service but it only increases your upload speed. People download movies on this and usually leave limewire or whatever open over night. If you are an internet junkie you will have to have this. Canada House has wireless and you use your Global Connect card to access. There is also wireless pumped into the shacks, you need your GC card again. Speeds are up to 40 kb/sec. You also have your regular internet stations on Linux machines which you use your GC card for. Webcam PCs available.

CNS - Global Connect wireless all over camp, extremely slow, between 1 and 5kb/sec. Most file extensions are blocked so no downloading much of anything. There are welfare trailors to use, as well as Webcam PCs and theres more DWAN here than you can imagine. The technicians also have GPNet and there is LEPNet available if you know the right people....

MSG - Welfare trailor only with about 10 pcs. CFRT is available throughout the camp via splitter boxes. Bring a TV to this camp if the section you are relieving doesnt have one.

Frontenac - About five welfare PCs. You were allowed to bring your own laptop and hook up to the line since the Linux machines are slow as hell. No TV except in the mess.

Wilson - About ten welfare PCs and one Webcam PC. No TV except in the mess.

As for all the other FOBs, trenches, bunkers... OMLT apartments... 99% have some form of internet access and always a way to call home.

FYI Global Connect is heavily firewalled. You can access most ports for regular internet apps such as SSH, Telnet, FTP, POP, SMTP, IMAP...etc etc.... Most Proxy websites are firewalled so make a list at home. I have also seen a few internet cafes in Kandahar City if you dare to go! Thats the latest information I know.

Mooke, how current is your info on MSG?  I have herd different things from the guys we are replacing there.

NL_engineer said:
Mooke, how current is your info on MSG?  I have herd different things from the guys we are replacing there.

It is correct.

Regards

NL_engineer said:
thanks

I just heard there was now wireless from the guys I replace in XX days

I know the guys you're replacing. The wifi goes down at the drop of a hat and they cry about it incessantly, because they are the only one's who can get it. Everyone else has to do it the old fashioned way, either plug in or use the PCs that are in the trailer.

Some people don't realize that there is a war going on and it's a nicety...not a necessity.

Regards

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
I know the guys you're replacing. The wifi goes down at the drop of a hat and they cry about it incessantly, because they are the only one's who can get it. Everyone else has to do it the old fashioned way, either plug in or use the PCs that are in the trailer.

Some people don't realize that there is a war going on and it's a nicety...not a necessity.

Regards

did you expect more from Sappers? jk

That's nice to know, are there plug ins everywhere or just in a central location?

Back