• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Affleck RSM Cameron Highlanders.

• Thread starter Thread starter GreenwoodD
  • Start date Start date
G

GreenwoodD

I have looked all up and down the internet for info on my grandfather and have come up with nothing time and time again so I am here wondering if I can get directions on where to look or even if there are Any Winnipeg based Queens Own Cameron Highlanders who post here.

My name is Dawn Greenwood I come from a vast military family which includes before I was born.Mother served in reg force and my father was a jumper and a St.Jean instructor. Dad was in 2nd Battallion Princess Patrica's Canadian Light Infantry which took him on tours of duty in Cypress twice and almost into the Gulf War. Uncle was also a Patrica with service in Egypt. Brother was in the Navy now going into Infantry and little brother just graduated and is currently in Wainright at battle school with possibility of deployment either to 2nd of 3rd Batallion P.P.C.L.I. all of the kids were in cadets as well even myself who was 2701 Winnipeg based P.P.C.L.I.  However these people I know..who I need info on is my grandfather Kenneth Affleck. He served in both English and CCanadianmilitary batallions. In the Winnipeg Rifles he made rank of CSM and in the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders he attained rank of RSM and did tours including Korea, he died in 1979 and is buried in the military section of Brookside here in Winnipeg Manitoba.

I'd really appreciate being pointed in the right direction..I'd like to look up on him because he died before I was born and wish to make a site dedicating his honour for my mother and the rest of my military family.

Thank You.

HI

JUST READ YOUR QUERY.  I HAD THE PLEASURE OF WORKING WITH YOUR GRANDFATHER FROM 68 T0 73 AND HAD WONDERED WHAT HAD BECOME OF HIM.  YOU CAN START WITH THE REGIMENTAL RECORDS AT THE QOCH IN MINTO ARMOURIES.  ALSO D PERS IN OTTAWA WILL HAVE HIS RECORDS IN THE TOMBS. BE PREPARED FOR A LOT OF RED TAPE TO ACCESS THEM.  IF YOU GAIN ACCESS TO THESE BE PREPARED TO HAVE LOTS OF INFO CENSORED. 

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HUNTING.........CH1

I too remember your Grandfather.  I knew him by sight only however he had a son, Kenny, who tried military life, didn't care for it, and left.  However he remained in Winnipeg and was always a welcome guest at our Fort Garry Horse Junior Ranks Club in the early '70s.  I don't know what became of him but presumably a search of telephone directories on Canada 411 or a similar site might help you track him down.

I remember your grandfather well. I had the pleasure of being on the same recruit course with him when he joined the R Wpg Rif in 67/68. Of course on completion of the course he was promoted SGT based on his prior service.

As I recall, he had served with the SAS in Malaysia while with the Brits.

I had the pleasure of having him as my 2 i/c when I commanded a recruit platoon in the summer of 71. My life was certainly more difficult when they took him away from me to replace a Pl Comd who didn't meet the required standard.

Bruce as this thread is almost 4 years old and the original poster was a guest I suspect you will not get a reply from her. But thanks for adding your reply.

Rick

I know it was an old thread but Ken was a good guy and Rememberance Day is approaching when I start to think of old comrades.

Back