• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Control Officers-AEC [merged]

Unfortunately, you will have to make your choice before you get here.  Since we don't have a core phase anymore, we don't select the candidates here.  That is done in Winnipeg.  You need to make your choice known before it is chosen for you.  Where are you now, and when do you expect to be here?
As far as location, yes all Weapons Controllers spend the first part of their careers in North Bay.  Out of the last three weapons courses we have sent to North Bay in the past year, over half of them have already left, or are leaving North Bay this summer.  Some of the locations they have gone to are: Eastern Air Defence Sector in Rome NY, Alaskan NORAD region, 12 Radar Bagotville QC, Western Air Defence sector in Tacoma Washington to name a few.
As far as facilities the above ground complex has been open for over a year so it doesn't take long to get outside and see the sun(I spent 14 years underground).
In my 28 year career as a Weapons Controller I have been to North Bay, CFS Lowther, ON(no longer exists), Panama City, FL, Tacoma, WA and Vicenza Italy.

Celticgirl said:
whereas TCs work in control towers, AWACS aircrafts, etc. - above ground and with windows.

BTW, weapons controllers work on AWACS, not ATC people.

And if you think ATC folks only work in towers with windows, you have never been in an IFRCC.

Gazoo said:
Unfortunately, you will have to make your choice before you get here.  Since we don't have a core phase anymore, we don't select the candidates here.  That is done in Winnipeg.  You need to make your choice known before it is chosen for you.  Where are you now, and when do you expect to be here?
As far as location, yes all Weapons Controllers spend the first part of their careers in North Bay.  Out of the last three weapons courses we have sent to North Bay in the past year, over half of them have already left, or are leaving North Bay this summer.  Some of the locations they have gone to are: Eastern Air Defence Sector in Rome NY, Alaskan NORAD region, 12 Radar Bagotville QC, Western Air Defence sector in Tacoma Washington to name a few.
As far as facilities the above ground complex has been open for over a year so it doesn't take long to get outside and see the sun(I spent 14 years underground).
In my 28 year career as a Weapons Controller I have been to North Bay, CFS Lowther, ON(no longer exists), Panama City, FL, Tacoma, WA and Vicenza Italy.

I'm in NS now awaiting my security clearance so that I can be merit listed. When I expect to be there and when I get there are probably two vastly different time periods.  ;D  I am hoping to get into the late August-December BMOQ. I don't know what course that would put me on for Cornwall. Airmich et al have indicated that there is a period of time between basic training and the AEC courses, so it could be next spring or summer before I get there (and that's optimistic, I'm sure).

I didn't know that the choice had to be made prior to going to CFASCO. Hopefully, the info in the AEC study package will help with making that decision.

I don't suppose the CF would send me to Italy for my first posting, would they? Nah, I didn't think so. ;)

CDN Aviator said:
BTW, weapons controllers work on AWACS, not ATC people.

And if you think ATC folks only work in towers with windows, you have never been in an IFRCC.

Thanks for the clarification, CA. :)

At present I am not sure of how long a wait there is between Basic and getting here to Cornwall.  There is also a possibility of second language training between basic and occupation training, but I don't know how many people get that.  Once through basic, depending on which part of the occupation you select(or get), try to spend your OJT(on job training) at a base where you can see and experience that occupation.  For most weapons controllers I would recommend either North Bay, Cold Lake Alberta or Bagotville Quebec.  There are many other place you could go, but not many would be able to offer you anything like what you will experience here.
If I can help, or answer any questions please let me know.

Celticgirl said:
Have you been waiting long? Did the folks at your CFRC give you any idea of what might be holding things up?

I applied back in September or October 2007 I believe and I haven't actually talked with anyone from my CFRC yet as life has been busy for me in the last few months...Ie--finding out I'm going to be a dad in August of this year. 

Good to see more info. popping up on this thread though so when I do find out what's happening I know where to go and who to talk to if I have any questions or concerns.  Thanks to all for being so informative in regards to this topic!!  :)

Gazoo, I can't thank you enough for the info you've given us already. We will be sure to remember you when we have more questions. :)

Airbrat, congrats on your impending parenthood!  :cheers:

I was told by my recruiting officer (after she made a call to Cornwall) that the next AEC training course in Conrwall would be in Jan 09, so I'll have about 6 months of OJT/PAT (whatever the acronym de jour is) after BMOQ (completes 15 Aug). As far as SLT, I was told that things have changed and it is not mandatory to complete SLT immediately after basic  if your trade doesn't require it.  I was told I would have to complete SLT at some point if I wanted to be promoted past the rank of Major.

Thats funny, I remember seeing AEC on a list of trades requiring SLT....guess the saying is true, the only constant is change.

KenJacobson said:
I was told by my recruiting officer (after she made a call to Cornwall) that the next AEC training course in Conrwall would be in Jan 09, so I'll have about 6 months of OJT/PAT (whatever the acronym de jour is) after BMOQ (completes 15 Aug). As far as SLT, I was told that things have changed and it is not mandatory to complete SLT immediately after basic  if your trade doesn't require it.  I was told I would have to complete SLT at some point if I wanted to be promoted past the rank of Major.

Ken, were you told what you would be doing while on OJT (with only basic training behind you and no AEC knowledge or experience) and where you might be attach-posted for the six months? Do you get to submit a preference?

OK, the latest scoop on the SLT from my recruiting center, kind of off topic but important, that list is for DEO and CEOTP. If you are doing either of those, then you might not have to do it until you want to make it to major. ROTP still does SLT for all trades, both languages.

Intelligent Design said:
OK, the latest scoop on the SLT from my recruiting center, kind of off topic but important, that list is for DEO and CEOTP. If you are doing either of those, then you might not have to do it until you want to make it to major. ROTP still does SLT for all trades, both languages.

Regardless of entry plan, i'm certain that if you are a francophone and not profecient at english, you will be going on SLT if you are entering as an AEC officer.

Franco AEC officers require a CBB in English before they're let out of St-Jean.  Anglo AEC officers don't need to do SLT anymore. 

Celticgirl said:
Ken, were you told what you would be doing while on OJT (with only basic training behind you and no AEC knowledge or experience) and where you might be attach-posted for the six months? Do you get to submit a preference?

I was told that after basic I would be posted somewhere for OJT, this "somewhere" did NOT have to be a base with a dedicated CF air traffic control system (for me Winnipeg would be fine), and that I should provide the staff at CFLRS with my recruiting officers name with the hopes of being stationed back home with my wife and son.

Wherever it is I'm sent, I'll stay there until I've completed the distance learning part of the AEC course. For the core part of the course (Jan 09 for me) I'll be transferred to Cornwall. From my understanding, which could very well be wrong, OJT is more like a shadow position. It's not meant for you to do any of the meat and potatoes work of the trade, but rather get an idea of what work in the trade (or stream) entails.

Yes, I was told I would be able to submit a preference during the distance learning portion of the AEC course, however, I've been forewarned that this "preference" doesn't really add up to a hill of beans and that I'll be told which branch I'm in, regardless of my preference, when arriving in Cornwall to complete the core component.

A sincere thank you to EVERYONE who has responded to my post. I was extremely touched by all of your speedy and helpful responses. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

I was told that CFRC Vancouver is all booked up for appointments in March (for medicals, intervies, and aptitude test), so now I have to wait for them to let me know when they have spots open for me to write my test. Given the fact that I am eligible to go in to write the test, does that mean they think my application is OK? I was so concerned about whether they would even bother to let me go write the test, as they told me that all 3 trades are quite competitive/hard to get through.

I'm so nervous!

Kruggle said:
A sincere thank you to EVERYONE who has responded to my post. I was extremely touched by all of your speedy and helpful responses. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

I was told that CFRC Vancouver is all booked up for appointments in March (for medicals, intervies, and aptitude test), so now I have to wait for them to let me know when they have spots open for me to write my test. Given the fact that I am eligible to go in to write the test, does that mean they think my application is OK? I was so concerned about whether they would even bother to let me go write the test, as they told me that all 3 trades are quite competitive/hard to get through.

I'm so nervous!

Don't think anyone can really say whether they think your application is ok or not, but given your getting set to write the test make sure youre ready for it and that will tilt your app in the right direction. There's alot of threads on here about the CFAT so I'd suggest going through them and getting an idea of what you'll be facing on test day. That should help with your test and your nerves when you're sitting down to do it. Don't stress over it, you've got the time to prep for it, use it and you'll be fine.

Kruggle said:
Given the fact that I am eligible to go in to write the test, does that mean they think my application is OK?

Doing the test is part of the application process, dont read too much into the CFRC getting you to do it.

Back