• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AEC DL Course

mikem687

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,

Pretty new to this site, read a lot of the info on AEC that is here and found it quite helpfull.  Im currently loaded for the AEC DL course
that starts on 25 May and course loaded for cornwall for Jan 2011.  Going through the CFSACO website, i found the acronym study
package, and have been going over it (glad that i started early to, cause there is a ton of stuff to memorize in there).

But what im wondering at, will those acronyms, abbreviations and symbols be explained in the distance learning package, cause right
now im pulling whats left of my hair out making sense of some of them.  Also, the test for all this info on the DL, is it generally multiple
choice or short awnser/fill in the blank?

Thx in advance.

I'm not an AEC so take this for what its worth ....

I am guessing you pulled something off a website out of curiosity and obvious interest and this accronym guide is not mandated training for you at this point. Am i right ?

The trouble is, and why you are likely pulling your hair out, is that you dont have the context to go with them. Theres little use to knowing what RVSM stands for if you dont know what it relates to. That will come with training.

I read up alot of my job before i started flying and it meant nothing to me until i went on course and stuff was explained.

It wasn't really out of curiosity, its actually part of the DL course, jsut accessed through the CFSACO website.  Im hoping the context will
be explained in the actual course package.  I switched over after being an armoured reservist for over 12 yrs, and it gets confussing
especially when you see some acronyms, that I end up relating to other ones that ive seen before but have a totally different meaning.
Im also in a bit of situation now, since im not at an airforce base, so i don't have anyone that can clarify any questions i come across.

From the AEC DL Manual:

"CHAPTER 2  ACRONYMS
2.1 REQUIREMENTS

1. Required reading and study material: 

a. AEC BASIC Acronym Study Package

2. Supplementary reading material:

a. D-Flip: GPH 204B Glossary For Pilots And Air Traffic Services Personnel;

b. From the Ground Up: Glossary.

3. References:

a. AEC BASIC Pre-course Acronym Study Package

b. D-Flip: GPH 204B Glossary For Pilots And Air Traffic Services Personnel;

c. From the Ground Up.

For an explanation of the various terms used throughout this manual, please refer to the publication:  GPH 204B Glossary For Pilots And Air Traffic Services Personnel, which is located in the collection of publications known as D-Flip under military pubs.  The link to D-Flip is on the CFSACO Web site.  As well, From The Ground Up has a glossary, which explains many of the terms used in AEC."

Hope this helps.

mikem687 said:
It wasn't really out of curiosity, its actually part of the DL course, jsut accessed through the CFSACO website.

Roger that. Im sure one of our resident AEC types can help if they see this thread.

The acronyms/abbreviations/symbols and their definitions/meanings are not covered comprehensively in the DL package.  You are expected to memorize them and what they stand for (i.e. AI19S - cleared to the airport for the ILS RWY 19 approach full stop), but you are not expected to know specifically what they mean until you arrive in Cornwall.  The DL/From the Ground Up/OJT experience will mirror some of the abbreviations, but the instruction you receive in Cornwall more than covers what is necessary.  However, it is clear that the more knowledge you absorb before coming to Cornwall the better.

Also, the practice exams you will have access to for the DL course will be quite helpful - and very similar to the graded exams you will face at the end of each week.

Good luck.

Back