• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

• Thread starter Thread starter the patriot
  • Start date Start date
PMedMoe said:
Marking pens??  We had to use sew on name tapes!  >:(  Guess times have changed.  ;)

The name tapes still need to be sewn on, but using the Sharpie instead of the provided marking pens reduces the need to continuously rewrite your first four and last three due to fading.  BTW the tapes ares IRONED on at the basic at Esquimalt.

Good2Go said:
The name tapes still need to be sewn on, but using the Sharpie instead of the provided marking pens reduces the need to continuously rewrite your first four and last three due to fading.  BTW the tapes ares IRONED on at the basic at Esquimalt.

Seen.  Yes, every place is different.  Even within our platoon there was a huge difference in how neatly the tapes were sewn on (females vs. males).  ::)

Good2Go said:

Why would you put your first 4 and last 3. It should be your last name and last 3.

NFLD Sapper said:
Why would you put your first 4 and last 3. It should be your last name and last 3.

First 4 of last name; last 3 of SN. 
It's been awhile eh?  ;)

ArmyVern said:
Not his. His first 4 of his last name are also the ONLY 4. He's just a dinosaur.  >:D

We had to put the full last name with the exception of a few who had very long or hyphenated names.

PMedMoe said:
We had to put the full last name with the exception of a few who had very long or hyphenated names.

Ah!  Yes.  That also explains how we had so many extra "Smiths" and "Jones" when we didn't on the nominal roll.

PMedMoe said:

..and they measured our stitches when I went thru Basic in Cornwallis...8 stitches per 1/4 inch or something like that.  And even got a chance to re-do the ones that weren't to standard!  Oh the fun!  Add to that we got full kit, with the old bus driver workdress, green and tan DEU...I think my fingers are starting to bleed again just thinking of it.

:)

Celticgirl said:
There are no "women" push-ups in basic training. We all do the same kind of push-ups and the PSP staff is pretty particular about form. Check out the CFLRS website and look at the video regarding fitness testing. You will see the proper form there.

Where is that at? I have to make sure I'm okay to go game day.

No video but lots of info at:

CFPSA: http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/fitness/general_e.asp

or

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:bCnQTUrbHMwJ:www.pspesquimalt.ca/pdf/Remed_PushUp.pdf+psp+push-ups&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Cluett said:
Where is that at? I have to make sure I'm okay to go game day.

I think this is the third time I've posted this link.  Maybe it should be stickied?

ExPres Test Push Up Protocol

In the picture of the down position, the demonstrator is too low, but I'm sure you'll get the point.  There are also remedial tips on the same page.

On this link, you can click on Fitness and then Testing from the flyout menu for more pointers.

ok, so this wasn't really in the gym, but Monday - I loaded up DH's rucksack and went on a 'leisurely' 13 km rucksack march.  Finished in 2:25:00 including a brief stop at the Mac's for some more water and gatorade. 

I have to say, I was pretty pleased with myself for finishing on time, heck, for finishing period.  That 13K sounds to daunting when you hear about it, but I did it, and I don't have the longest pace in the world at 5'2".  Nice little confidence boost for me.  And I know I can do the BFT now because I routinely throw my 13 year old over my shoulder and carry him and he's bigger than me.

PMedMoe said:
I think this is the third time I've posted this link.  Maybe it should be stickied?

ExPres Test Push Up Protocol

In the picture of the down position, the demonstrator is too low, but I'm sure you'll get the point.  There are also remedial tips on the same page.

On this link, you can click on Fitness and then Testing from the flyout menu for more pointers.

Well you said a video, so ya.

Also, lifting off like that everytime is bad for your elbows. Elbows are not tuned for lifting someones body, multiple times. I learned that in Kin. proper push up is assumed at 95 degrees. but i still go down to the floor like that lady does :P

Cluett said:
Well you said a video, so ya.

Also, lifting off like that everytime is bad for your elbows. Elbows are not tuned for lifting someones body, multiple times. I learned that in Kin. proper push up is assumed at 95 degrees. but i still go down to the floor like that lady does :P

I didn't say video, Frostnipped Elf did.  That is the only kind of push up that PSP will count for the ExPres test.  Some PSP staff are pretty forgiving, some are not.  Also, the push ups are continuous whereas the situps are not.

I didn't say video, Frostnipped Elf did.  That is the only kind of push up that PSP will count for the ExPres test.  Some PSP staff are pretty forgiving, some are not.  Also, the push ups are continuous whereas the situps are not.

Situps don't have to be continuous but you have to floor 20 in one minute? That's not hard but I mean really? I remember when I was young, and in high school it had to be continuous. I guess I'll really find out when I get down there (I should say up :P) Kind of wanting to go now.

Cluett said:
Situps don't have to be continuous but you have to floor 20 in one minute? That's not hard but I mean really?

IIRC, push ups are not timed, only the sit ups.  With the push ups you just go until you pause, stop or they tell you to stop because you aren't doing them correctly.

good to know, more to look forward to now that you have told me  :P Dang, I'm getting anxious, running 10km outside in this weather though is killing me, dehydration at its best.

To me I think it is a little ridiculous that they don,t do the physical part before you go. I know my daughter went to St. Jean with a bad cold so didn,t pass the pushups part but did good on the rest. So now she is stuck there doing nothing till she is sent home in 3 weeks. I think it is degrading to have to sit and have meals with the ones that did make it and are training.

Rosesm said:
To me I think it is a little ridiculous that they don,t do the physical part before you go. I know my daughter went to St. Jean with a bad cold so didn,t pass the pushups part but did good on the rest. So now she is stuck there doing nothing till she is sent home in 3 weeks. I think it is degrading to have to sit and have meals with the ones that did make it and are training.

I don't mean to sound rude on any part. But I believe there is Reform isn't there? If you didn't get whats expected they hold you for an additional 3 months to pass the PT then they throw you back to BMQ. Thats my understanding anyways. For the most part a cold shouldn't trouble you from doing push ups either, I've done 100's of push ups while having a bad cough and a runny nose.

What happend to your daughter she didn't go into the reform (warrior training as some call it) ???

Back