• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

missmague said:
Hey Ladies,

I have just started working up to the basic requirements for physical testing. Hoping that I am not a long way off, but it seems like it right now. I can do 12 sit ups - 0 real push ups (3 on the knees) - haven't attempted chin-ups as I figure if I can't do a real push-up I most likely cannot do a chin-up. I tried a 1.5  mile run (which I believe is about 2.4 kms) which took me almost 20 mins. So as you can tell I have a lot of work to do before I even meet the minimum.

Any advice on what I should do to get to that level when basically starting from nothing? Right now I am just running as far as I can and walking the rest. Doing as many sit-ups and push-ups as my body allows and lifting weights to try to get some strength. I do it on a daily basis. Any idea on how long it would take me to get to the minimum? I don't want to put in an application until I know I can meet the minimum standards at least.

It sounds to me like you are doing a lot of the same things the rest of us are doing or have done. Back in February, I couldn't do a single push-up either. It will come, just don't let yourself get discouraged. :)  My advice is to seek the help of a personal trainer. I did that for one month and it made a big difference in what I could do! After that, I had a better idea of how to help myself get where I need to be.

Are you going reg force or reserves?

I am not a girl, and I am not all that old yet (32 on the 23rd) but I can relate to the struggle.

Ive been in the reserves for the past 14 years, when I started I could run circles around people, sadly after way too many sports related and some military injuries and some athesma those days are long behind me.

Im now going to the reg force as an officer, which should happen in the next few months and I had to pass the express test in order for my paperwork to proceed, this was back in August.  I was extremely unprepared and it was a struggle, I had to shock the system a bit.  Thanksfully I was not too far off the mark except for the running part I was ok.  Here is what I did that worked for me though.

BEEP TEST:

My minimum pass mark is 6.0  I decided to use the treadmill to try and duplicate the beep test.  Each minute of your beep test has you running at a certain speed and of course after each minute passes you have to run slightly faster thus making it harder and harder.  Here is how the math breaks down.

0 to 1 min 5.0 miles per hour
1 to 2 min 5.3
2 to 3 min 5.6
3 to 4 min 5.9
4 to 5 min 6.2
5 to 6 min 6.5
6 to 7 min 6.8
7 to 8 min 7.1

I use miles per hour becasue most treadmiles seem to operate in that dimention.  As you can see, you start off pretty easy but you increase by 0.3 mph every min.

To prepare for the beep test I basically just used that table above on the manual settings on the treadmill.

So for my first min I ran at 5.0, when I got to 1 min mark I manually increased it to 5.3 and so on... until I got to 8 minutes.  By that point I wanted to barf my guts out and die... lol

I swiched the speed down to 2.7 and walked it off for the next two minutes...

When the timer got to ten minutes I started all over again, so hit the speed back to 5.0 and kept increasing it every minute until 8 minutes. then went back to 2.7 for another 2 min rest.

When the timer hit 20 min I did it again, never could make 8 min the 3rd time around.  Was usually lucky to get to 6.  I walked it off for another 5 min as a cool down and was done.   

I did this 5 days a week for about a month.  I went from not being able to climb a flight of stairs without being out of breath (mostly athesma related) to being able to pass the shuttle run.  Unfortunately I could only get to 6.5 so I will have to try for exempt another time.

My treadmill routine did work extremely well though.  The disadvantage of practicing on the treadmill is that you dont get the stop and go aspect which makes it much harder in the real test.  You also dont have the real run feel to it.  Thats why I did mine in a cycle of 3 times over, though as you can see, my actual results still paled in comparison to the treadmill ones.

What the treadmill does allow you to do though is change your speeds around in a controlled fashion.  The trick to passing the beep test is heart rate.  I spoke to a few trainers and PMC staff about this and what they said was the following:  When doing cardio training you have to make sure your heart rate is never the same, never let it fall into a routine, since during the real test it will go up and up...

You also need to do cardio activity for a 30 min period in order to gain improvement, again this is according to the staff I spoke to.

PUSHUPS:

The key to push ups is to develop upper body strength.  Obviously the more weight training you do for your chest, shoulders and arms the better you will be.  However it is still not enough.  Make sure to strengthen your abs, which you have to do for the other part of the test anyway and strengthen your upper and lower back muscles as well.

The reason is when doing pushups if you have week abs and back muscles your arms and shoulders share too much of the burden trying to keep you stable in the push up position without wabbling around ect...  If you strengthen the back and abs you are taking a huge load off the pushup centric muscles.  This is something I didnt realize myself until just recently.  I could always do about 20 push ups and that was it, no matter how hard I pushed myself.  After incorporating the back and abs into my routine (something I had not done until just recently) I was able to break my plateau and am getting close to 40 push ups now.

SITUPS:

Do lots of situps obviously but also do plank positions and hold in place for a few minutes or until failure.  This helps the abs and also will help your pushups too.  Aside from that I cant say much else, my knowledge in this area is limited.

HANDGRIP:

There are two ways to prepare for this that I know of.  The first is, when at the gym, grab a set of dumbells that are reasonably heavy, that you can hold in your hands.  Hold each one on each side and simply walk around the gym for about 5 minutes.  You need something heavy enough that holding them in your hands becomes a challenge.  Doing this will improve your grip strength quite a bit.

You can also buy things at the store. I am not sure what they are called but they are hand grip things that you squeeze over and over...

CHIN UPS/PULL UPS

Do them all, you never know what your course staff will throw at  you.  The best way to train for this is by using a gravitron machine at your gym.  For people like me who can only do a few unsupported, this helps you build your strength to get to where you need to be.

Just as an aside note.  I noticed that some of you are looking at officer trades.  The important thing to realize above and beyond meeting the criteria of passing is being able to lead by example.  As an officer who may have to he a course officer one day, you will likely be leading the morning runs or other PT sessions.  If you are a barely pass type person like myself, you will have a very hard time doing this.  In the reg force I would imagine that is even further compounded because you are doing it every day as a lifestyle.  You cant gain the respect of your troops, sailors or airmen if you cant keep up with them.

I was able to pass my test, but I know for a fact that if I had to lead troops through PT right now I could not do it, not even close, so im still pounding away at it.

Im paying for 3 personal training sessions per week.
2 arobics type sessions a week (Goodlife has amazing stuff in this area and its free for those who pay for memberships)
I now run 4 mornings a week, the results are still pretty poopy but working on it ect..

So in short, for those of us becoming officers, passing isnt good enough, you need to be able to lead PT so still a long ways to go, at least in my case anyway.

I hope this info is helpful to some.

ltmaverick25 said:
I
BEEP TEST:

My minimum pass mark is 6.0  I decided to use the treadmill to try and duplicate the beep test.  Each minute of your beep test has you running at a certain speed and of course after each minute passes you have to run slightly faster thus making it harder and harder.  Here is how the math breaks down.

1 to 2 min 5.3
2 to 3 min 5.6
3 to 4 min 5.9
4 to 5 min 6.2
5 to 6 min 6.5
6 to 7 min 7.8
7 to 8 min 8.1

I use miles per hour becasue most treadmiles seem to operate in that dimention.  As you can see, you start off pretty easy but you increase by 0.3 mph every min.

For those who have to work in Km/h

the shuttle run (beep test) starts at 8.5 Km/h and increases 0.5 Km/h for each level.

0 to 1 = 8.5Km/h
1 to 2 = 9.0 Km/h

Etc, etc, etc...

1 to 2 min 5.3
2 to 3 min 5.6
3 to 4 min 5.9
4 to 5 min 6.2
5 to 6 min 6.5
6 to 7 min 7.8
7 to 8 min 8.1

just a little edit for those wanting to try this :

1 to 2 min 5.3
2 to 3 min 5.6
3 to 4 min 5.9
4 to 5 min 6.2
5 to 6 min 6.5
6 to 7 min 6.8 <-
7 to 8 min 7.1 <-

I'm sure people doing this would figure out that the last two were actually increased by 1.3 mph instead of the .3 mph...but i'm just clarifying for those who may have missed it.

Sorry to intrude with a slight hijack, but this thread seems to have the right SME's for this question as it deals with female physiology:

While shopping for hiking gear the other day the saleperson mentioned that women need to buy different sleeping bags from men because they are 'cold sleepers' while men are 'warm sleepers'.

Is this a commonly known fact?  As a guy, its the first I had heard of it, or at least I never heard of the military supplying female members with a different type of sleeping bag.

We now return you to your scheduled topic...

Greymatters said:
Is this a commonly known fact?  As a guy, its the first I had heard of it,

You mean your wife / girlfriend has never decided to put her ice cold feet on you while in bed ?

CDN Aviator said:
You mean your wife / girlfriend has never decided to put her ice cold feet on you while in bed ?

LOL! 
[me=Lil_T]is reminded of a funny story[/me]

Carbon said:
just a little edit for those wanting to try this :

1 to 2 min 5.3
2 to 3 min 5.6
3 to 4 min 5.9
4 to 5 min 6.2
5 to 6 min 6.5
6 to 7 min 6.8 <-
7 to 8 min 7.1 <-

I'm sure people doing this would figure out that the last two were actually increased by 1.3 mph instead of the .3 mph...but i'm just clarifying for those who may have missed it.

Thanks, my bad, I will edit my post too.

Greymatters said:
Sorry to intrude with a slight hijack, but this thread seems to have the right SME's for this question as it deals with female physiology:

While shopping for hiking gear the other day the saleperson mentioned that women need to buy different sleeping bags from men because they are 'cold sleepers' while men are 'warm sleepers'.

Is this a commonly known fact?  As a guy, its the first I had heard of it, or at least I never heard of the military supplying female members with a different type of sleeping bag.

I wonder if there is any truth to this.  Even in extreme cold weather, say Petawawa in the middle of January, I cannot sleep in a double sleeping bag, I will wake up soaked from sweat which is not a good thing in that weather.

Greymatters said:

We're all issued the same same sleeping bags for males and females. I'd never heard that they marketed stuff like that by gender...although I agree women are generally cold when they sleep( or at least I am) and men are like furnaces (which works out well for the women)

Cat said:
although I agree women are generally cold when they sleep( or at least I am) and men are like furnaces (which works out well for the women)

Maybe this is nature's way of telling us something! :)

ltmaverick25 said:
Maybe this is nature's way of telling us something! :)

I was gunna say something to that, but decided not to press my luck :p

Celticgirl said:
Waiting... ;D

hahaha  ok here goes.

one night, hubby and I were just after getting into bed and were talking about something he called me his "T bag" (why he thought that was a good idea is beyond me.)  So I (not missing a beat) stuck my ice cold size fives on his leg and responded "haha! Ice T mothafucka"   

;D

Thanks so much Guys and Gals for all the advice. I have been working my butt off over the past few weeks and I must say I am pretty impressed with my progress thus far.

As you know I was at 20 mins for my 2.4 kms run and I have now got it down to 15 mins - so impressed wooohoooo. I noticed that adding music has helped me not dread what I am doing and helps me not think about the time. I have also increased my sit-ups from 12 to 20 and my push ups (from the knee) from 3 to 15 which I did today!! I still am unable to do a real push-up but I can go up once or down once just not together lol. I also went and  bought a chin-up bar and put it up at home. I can jump and hold myself up lol - although I can do about 30 "cool-runnings" style chin-ups heehee - my mother's bright idea. 

So for those girls out there that think maybe they can't do it. I am proof that a little dedication can push you pretty fast (my increases are over about two-three weeks). You just need the mind set that you will NOT give up until your body does 100%.

So it is my hope that within a few months I will be at a point to meet the minimum standards required. I am putting in my application on Monday as I know there will be a issue with my medical and I am hoping for image tech (which I read has quite a waiting list),  so I should be in shape when the time comes for me.

Hey all, here's an update for you since I arrived at RMC in August. I went in being able to do about 15 pushups consistently, and probably about 35-40 situps in a row. I could also do 3-4 chinups. After our "recruit camp" training, and FYOP (first year orientation period) for 5 weeks, plus weekly athletics classes and intramural sports, I lost 12 pounds (down to size 4 now!), and I just did 34 pushups and 55 situps on our PPT (like the CF Expres test, but about twice as difficult, as there are only men's and women's standards, no allowances for age). I can out-pushup some of the skinnier guys in my flight, which is cool! Not bad for a 36 year old! Some "games" that we played during FYOP really helped me to improve in pushups especially. One is play the song "Flower" by Moby - the lyrics go "Bring Sally up, bring Sally down, lift and squat gonna tear the ground" over and over. On the "up", go into the up position of the pushup. When you hear "down", go down, but keep your elbows at 90 degrees, and don't let your body hit the floor. Then you have to hold that position until you hear "up" again. I can usually get through 2 choruses before I have to drop to my knees. One guy in my flight can do the song fully twice before he craps out - amazing! The other "game" was using a deck of cards. Deal out 5 or 6 cards, and do the face value of the first card in pushups, rest for the same number of seconds, then do the second card, etc. When you get to the end of the 5 or 6, take a 2 minute break, then deal out some more. One night, we went through more than 2 decks of cards, and we ended up doing 1170 pushups in less than 2 hours. Very hard work obviously, and us girls had to drop to our knees pretty early on, but that was one hell of a workout! Loud dance music is mandatory if you're going to do that many, it definitely helped keep you motivated!

As far as other training, we do everything. During FYOP we did so much running, from doing circuits to hill sprints to long runs, plus team sports after classes. We also did hallway PT - the stuff I mentioned above, wall sits, holding the plank position for 1 or 2 minutes, and even an abs battle with another flight from a different squadron. Just do as many different things as you can think of, because you will work different muscle groups, and work on your strength, endurance, etc all at the same time. I'll be heading off to basic in St. Jean in the summer, so by then I should be super fit! My squadron gym rep is going to set me up with a running program, as that is my weakest area, due to a minor heart problem. It will be 3 days a week, one of long distance running, one of intervals, and one of shorter (5km) but faster runs. Should be interesting to see how it goes! Good luck ladies!! Oh, I'm going air nav (or air combat systems officer), in case anyone's interested. From what I've heard from other students who've already done some of their phase training, it sounds like a sweet trade!

Hey everybody! I'm working on the fitness thing too. Yesterday I watched some videos more about basic training, so I'm having a bit of a panic attack about that, but hopefully it'll just motivate me to work harder! The stuff in this thread is really useful for the not-so-athletically-inclined! I'm applying for ROTP with my fingers crossed for pilot. A lot of people are asking about push-ups here, I was wondering if anyone else finds that their shoulders make cracking noises when you do them. Is this a bad thing?

Hi all - I go to basic training on Sunday (I start Monday) and am nervous as hell!  I was in cadets so I have a teeny tiny bit of preparation for it but am still really nervous.  I expect to love every minute of it and hate every minute of it.  The hardest part for me I think will be being away from my husband and two kids - but I know it's worth it in the long run.  I'm also very nervous about the PT test - I can do the push ups and sit ups but I'm worried about the running test ..  it says I need to get at least a level 4 but I have no idea what a "level 4" is - can anyone give a good clarification on that?

Back