• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

• Thread starter Thread starter the patriot
  • Start date Start date
Quote from Peter:
I Will not name names or pages on a public Forum. I'm surprised others havent picked up on it.

C'mon Peter. You said they were right here. You made the accusations, saying these people didn't have the parts. Now you won't back it up. Feel free to PM me then.

Get off the powerline and civie job stuff. That's not the intent of the thread, and it's useless drawing parallels. Unless power workers are getting shot at as part of their job.

I don't know about power line workers ( ::)  ) but there are quite a few women in commercial aviation nowadays - and the ones I've worked with have been very capable pilots.

cheers, mdh

Talk about flogging a dead horse.

Pugil said:
Canada is the only Nato country that allows women in the combat arms. A recent study made by the Mod in Uk confirms that  women in combat arms would unbalance the group cohesion giving more risks than assets.
http://news.mod.uk/news/press/news_headline_story.asp?newsItem_id=1723

This was the first post in this thread and the link it leads to sums up the logical reasons for the 'NO' side quite nicely.  I find it sad that so many people here are so eager to be political correct at any cost. :boring:

Reminds me of the old political ccommissarsin the USSR...

LF(CMO) said:
How many women are there serving in combat roles in the USMC?  That should be proof enough.

Being in a "Combat Role" no longer defines who will see combat and who won't - that is what the whole "Three Block War" idea is about.  If people want to define their argument on "Women in Combat Roles", then they have to re-adjust their argument, because OEF and OIF are clear examples that "Combat" does not pick and choose trades to affect.

Besides, most of us on these Forums have continually expounded on the "Every Soldier is a Rifleman First" mentality on these threads.  It would be silly to bar women from certain trades in the Army but insist that they are "Riflemen First" and ensure that combatives are ingrained on them as part of their training regimen.

Anyways, this thread is starting to turn into a ranting opinion piece (that the subject always falls back to) - it is easy to see that there are Good Soldiers, many who've Been There and Done That and seen the Elephant, who argue for either side of the argument - so there are obviously good points for both sides.

However, as someone pointed out, this is a political issue from the Government - we, as professionals, take our orders and soldier on.  Military Training Standards is a separate issue then Female integration, and it should not be something that the government should be interfering in - if it is, then it is overstepping its bounds with regards to a healthy level of civil-military relations.

I still think that were getting our Olive Drab underpants in a knot over a non-issue here.  It is not as if the Military as an Institution as become "Martha Stuartized" by suddenly allowing women to do everything.  The military, which hinges on aggression and violence, is still a very focussed institution, an "Alpha Male environment" (For the correlation between Males and Aggression, see Michael Ghiglieri; The Dark Side of Man).  Most females, for social and other reasons, will really have no desire to serve in the Army - the Combat Arms especially; this is reflected in the "equilibrium" that we've reached today with all doors open to Males and Females.

As Kirsten Luomala (where do I recognize that name from?  ;)) was keen to point out, on OP APOLLO had 28 (3 Combat Arms) in a BattleGroup of about 800 (If I recall correctly).  What is this, like 3.5% (even less for "Combat Roles").  Is this really such a big thing that it is going to mean the immediate collapse of combat capabilities tomorrow (which those who are against the principle seem to believe)?  The lovely thing about being in a Liberal Democracy is that we've given everybody, regardless of plumbing, the ability to succeed if they wish.  The nature of the job has kept things in equilibrium, with those Females who are up to the job being more then able to serve their country beside Male soldiers.  The thing that we should focus on is ensuring that Standards are kept objective, so as to ensure that everybody has an equal opportunity (as defined by Combat Requirements) to "Wash Out".

That being said, my personal views on the topic (which I'm not going to post, as they are irrelevent), my two main concerns for the military are:

1) Standards which are affected by things other then Combat Requirement - as I said before, if standards are being affected for Any group for political purposes, then our civil-military relations are out of joint.  As asserted above, "Readiness and Training Standards" and "Women in Combat Roles" are two separate issues; anyone can be "physically unable to do the job".

2) The culture of entitlement that seems to be affecting a portion of our Army.  People crying about 16 hour workloads on Operation to the Ombudsman is a good example.  I have a feeling this comes from a loss of focus that we had in the Post-Cold War "Peace Dividend" which was driven by people like Axworthy and Co.  Soldiers, regardless of trade, should never expect 8 hour shifts, internet connection, phones, and beds - if you do, time to turn in your kit.  Like "Readiness and Training Standards", I think "Institutional Mentality" is a different issue for "Women in Combat" - anyone can be a weak waste of CADPAT.

Again, I'll stress the fact that we're going nowhere with arguing about "Women in Combat Roles" anymore because, as recent operations have shown, "Women in the Army" means "Women in Combat" now - look at Kirsten L - she's a Medic who had to deploy on an Air-Assault Operation in Afghanistan.  Are we going to ban women from being Medics because they may be in combat?  Let's focus our energy on the real issues (like the two above that I mentioned) where we can make real gains in combat capability.

Infanteer

I find it sad that so many people here are so eager to be political correct at any cost

Would this study have been produced by the same UK Ministry of Defence that just gave a green light for the RN to recruit openly gay sailors? Presumably the MOD doesn't think that homosexuals will have much of an impact on unit cohesion - but women will?

mdh said:
Would this study have been produced by the same UK Ministry of Defence that just gave a green light for the RN to recruit openly gay sailors? Presumably the MOD doesn't think that homosexuals will have much of an impact on unit cohesion - but women will?

I'm not sure I'm following your logic here.  The MoD concern regarding unit cohesion is based on the physical limitations of the female gender, whereas the sexual preference of a sailor in an institution known for a longstanding tradition of covert homosexuality is not likely to have much of an effect on said homosexual sailor's ability to perform his job.

But, I digress. I feel this is an issue where the opposing sides are just going to have to agree to disagree on the matter. There is not much chance of me abandoning a viewpoint that is reinforced by the policies of most major military powers anymore than someone who is so adamant on total sexual integration is likely to admit that differences between genders do provide reason enough to limit the roles that women should play in the military.

Are these the same major military powers who went into Iraq?  Yup, look how that worked out.

Strike said:
Are these the same major military powers who went into Iraq?   Yup, look how that worked out.

Implying that the US and Britain are having problems in Iraq because they bar women from Combat Trades is absurd, and you know it.

mo-litia said:
But, I digress. I feel this is an issue where the opposing sides are just going to have to agree to disagree on the matter. There is not much chance of me abandoning a viewpoint that is reinforced by the policies of most major military powers anymore than someone who is so adamant on total sexual integration is likely to admit that differences between genders do provide reason enough to limit the roles that women should play in the military.

Ten Times Wrong Shortly after the end of World War I, the War Department asked the Army War College to study the possible military role of blacks, with an eye to expanding their participation in the combat arms. Between 1924 and 1939, the Army War College investigated the underemployment of blacks on ten separate occasions. Each time, racism kept the students and faculty from reaching rational, fair-minded conclusions. It seems inane now, but these studies asserted that blacks possessed brains significantly smaller than those of white troops and were predisposed to lack physical courage. The reports maintained that the Army should increase opportunities for blacks to help meet manpower requirements but claimed that they should always be commanded by whites and should always serve in segregated units. The Air Corps at that time did not employ blacks in any role. However, President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1940 directed the Air Corps to build an all-black flying unit. The presidential order propelled the air organization to create the 99th Pursuit Squadron. To develop the required pilot force, the Air Corps opened a new training base in central Alabama, near Tuskegee.

We seing any similarities here?  If you start with the premise that a certain group is incapable of something, you'll always find ways to back up your assumption.  Like this for instance:

"Some senior Air Force officers claimed that the country was not ready for military integration, or that the military ought to wait for civilian integration, or that they and the troops would not cooperate.
A persistent contention was that whites would never tolerate black supervision"

If on the other hand you start wih an open mind, you're liable to come to much different conclusions.  Face it; 50 years ago, soldiers liked things the way they were.  They didn't want any negros invading their club.  Eventually it happened, most people got used to it, and life continued.  A few individuals maintained the same negative attitude towards working with black, but for the most part, everyone learned to get along and work together.  20 years ago the army was once again happy with the way things were.  We didn't need any damn females invading our club.  Isn't it amazing how history repeats itself?  Instead of bitching and complaining about how those nasty women are bringing down the effectivness of your unit, how about making the effort to learn to work together?  There's a reason that teamwork is emphisized so much during basic training: having an effective unit isn't about everyone being the same, it's about learning how to use eachothers strengths and cover eachothers weaknesses.

Infanteer said:
Implying that the US and Britain are having problems in Iraq because they bar women from Combat Trades is absurd, and you know it.

Not at all.  I was being facetious.  >:D >:D

We all know they wouldn't be able to handle our superior skills anyway.  ;D

I don't really like the comparison of Black/White to Women/Men.  It seems to be a bit of a red herring.

The only difference between Black and White is skin pigmentation.  There are obvious physiological differences between Men/Women.

As well, the "social differences" comparison is weak as well.  Whites saw Blacks as a distraction on purely social reasons - they were conditioned to view them as lesser beings.  With Men/Women, there are clear differences (psychological, etc, etc) based on the fact that instinct and hormones often overpower rationality with regards to small group dynamics.  Nature has no real affect on Race relations (maybe a minor one on Kin Group selection - but what can you do, we are human), but nature has a big role in Inter-gender relations, as much as the PC-Feminazis like to deny.

That being said, I still stick to my original guns:  The military, being a violent and aggressive institution by design, makes the opening of doors a real non-issue - so 1 in 10 people wearing CADPAT is a woman (even less for Combat Arms), is it a really big deal?  Being an egalitarian Liberal Democracy, we are bound by Principle to give all citizens, regardless of plumbing, the right to succeed or fail in whatever they endeavour.  As long as we maintain effective and realistic standards and abhor favoritism, we are doing are part as a Canadian Institution to uphold this principle.

Other then that, lets get on with the job.

I find it sad that so many people here are so eager to be political correct at any cost. Boring

Reminds me of the old political ccommissarsin the USSR...

I would think that you, Mo-Litia, would have a little more empathy for the females. After all, you are the recipient of some of that good old PC generosity. What do I mean?!!? Well, how long does it take (or more succinctly, did it take for you) to get promoted to Corporal? Was is 4 years? Probably not. I'm guessing 2 years. When did you put up your first hook? Was it after 30 months, or was it after your TQ3? Did it take as long for you to get promoted to MCpl as it did for me (8 1/2 years, and mine was considered quick at the time - 1996)? You should be careful of biting the hand that feeds you (one night a week, and 2 weeks in the summer.....). But you don't have to be careful, because nobody knows who you are.... People who hurl insults or post things anonymously remind me of kids who give the finger to the cop car after it turns the corner, out of sight.... real big, tough guys.

Didn't the political commisar's also follow up behind the soldiers, and shoot any who turned and ran from the enemy (see my reference up above ^^^^^^^^^^^)?

Sorry, it was too good to resist... I'll go back to being a PC drone.

Al

Mo-Litia may, like he did before, brag about how he was in 7 years ago before the "PC standards" rolled in - back when the Man's Army was a Real Army - but as those who were in before him have attested to, he's talking out of his hat.

Dismissing counter-arguments as merely the act of "Political Commissars" (although they had their hand in it - read MGen MacKenzie's book Peacekeeper) and all of us "PC weenies" is pretty weak; I don't really feel that branding me as "Politically Correct" is quite accurate, others around here can attest to that.   This form of "arguing" doesn't address legitmate counter-arguments and valid observations (ie: All Trades are exposed to combat - ask Private Lynch) and leaves the impression that Mo-litia doesn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to backing up his arguments.

Shaking my head at some of the stupidity....

Women are in the combat arms, accept it or enjoy a good civilian career..

ARMYRICK OUT !

recceguy said:
Quote from Peter:
I Will not name names or pages on a public Forum. I'm surprised others haven't picked up on it.

C'mon Peter. You said they were right here. You made the accusations, saying these people didn't have the parts. Now you won't back it up. Feel free to PM me then.
Don't have to back it up do I ?
Just received my first warning from the forum which means that at least one of them got worried enough to try and get me closed down. Ive found the one I was looking for after reports filtered back to the UK about him. I'm afraid it is up to the Forum Staff to be vigilant and weed out the Wannabees not for the guests to do so. Been an enjoyable couple of days reading the posts but I never thought that expressing concern and respect for the female soldier by removing them from the line of fire would be taken as a sexuality problem for soldiers to deal with. No doubt this post will be removed due to its politically incorrectness.
Thank you for allowing me this brief visit.

Goodbye

Infanteer said:
Mo-Litia may, like he did before, brag about how he was in 7 years ago before the "PC standards" rolled in - back when the Man's Army was a Real Army - but as those who were in before him have attested to, he's talking out of his hat.

Read my posts, Infantryman.   I wasn't bragging, I was lamenting the fact that standards have dropped during my short career or commenting on the high failure rate of my QL 3 in '98.   Guess what gender had only 2 passes and roughly 20 failures? ^-^ Again, I am commenting on the fiscal and moral irresponsibility of continuing to recruit females into a trade where most of them won't even make the cut, let alone a career, NOT to detract from the many fine female soldiers, sailors and airmen who serve with us in other capacities.

If that's talking out of my hat then I need a bigger hat.

Here's one for all of you to ponder.  Not bad considering these women are in a job that is both physically demanding and traditionally held by men.

Top guides are all women

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK - Do you think of working as a hunting and fishing guide as a mostly male occupation?

The March issue of Outdoor Life profiles five of the best guides in North America - all of whom are women.

Heidi Gutfrucht, a guide in northwestern B.C., has never missed a day of hunting in 25 years, according to the magazine. Maine-based fishing guide Bonnie Holding hosts fly fishing clinics for women recovering from breast cancer. Alisha Rosenbruch-Decker is featured in the magazine in her native Alaska, where she specializes in trophy brown bear and sheep hunts. Niki Atcheson of Butte, Mont., grew up hunting dangerous game in Africa, while Dusty Byrd, an Alaskan guide, specializes in drift boat trout and char fishing.

I know I am generalizing here but, given the success of these women, could it be that some of the men who are so adamantly against women in the combat arms (and forces in general) are actually a little nervous that these women might begin to show them up?  ;)

I am so cruel.

Once again. This thread has nothing to do with women in civilian occupations.

Back