• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Acting Chief of Military Personnel on Diversity, Inclusion, and Culture Change Short-Term Initiatives

Ah, a high tech replacement for the monthly one-on-ones that were encouraged for platoon commanders 20-25 years ago.

Current good practise is continuous performance management e.g.,:

Why Is Now the Time for Continuous Performance Management?​

And why Are Companies Ditching Annual Appraisals?

Management thought leaders such as the CEB have long been advocating that performance management should be part of managers’ everyday role and that once or twice a year appraisals are not an effective use of time. But it’s no longer just academics who think this. 95% of managers are not satisfied with their organisation’s annual performance management process and 75% of employees see yearly reviews as unfair. Another study has found that only 8% of companies believe that their traditional performance management process drives business value. When looking for an alternative to annual appraisals, continuous performance management is a solution that complements and supports the pace of modern business.

Aside from the fact that more and more companies are turned off by the inefficiencies and limitations of their traditional performance management processes, there are many reasons why now is the best time to transition to a more continuous process.

Modern business is fast-paced. Companies face unexpected pressures and obstacles daily and they need a performance management system that accommodates this reality. Businesses need to be agile, to thrive and compete. They need employees who are empowered, connected and able to take ownership over their work. Continuous performance management encourages this by providing instant communication, strengthening relationships through transparent dialogue and giving employees autonomy and independence — something that greatly appeals to the modern Millennial workforce.

Continuous-Performance-Management.png

Isn't that what the PDR system was supposed to do?

Isn't that what the PDR system was supposed to do?
That is roughly what the PDR cycle was supposed to be, in fact that chart is basically what CFPAS on paper is. Or should I say was as I don't actually know what the status of CFPAS is anymore, my unit is doing a mix of CFPAS and PaCE.

That is roughly what the PDR cycle was supposed to be, in fact that chart is basically what CFPAS on paper is. Or should I say was as I don't actually know what the status of CFPAS is anymore, my unit is doing a mix of CFPAS and PaCE.
Everyone is supposed to have stopped PDRs and switched to PaCE for that function. Only PER remain CFPAS for this year.

I assume next year, various levels of HQ will be tracking stats of PaCE feedback sessions.

We did PDRs and then the PDRs were inserted into PaCE as attachments for our feedback session :)

I don't have a job description yet. My trade has been part of the PaCE trials and I've never received anything "PaCE" yet, other than my doing my MAP and monthly/important Feedbacks.

Off to a great start!
😁

But the CAF wouldn't make this mistake, right? ;)

So Your Boss Offered You a Meaningless Promotion

Summary. Promotions in title only aren’t a new phenomenon. Some leaders may think that by offering you a better title, they’re honoring your contributions and showing that they value you. Some might offer promotions in title only as a way to retain talent when attrition starts...

“She’s a vice president,” my manager chided me in front of guests. “She just doesn’t give herself credit with the title.” This was after I had introduced myself as a director, which was my actual title. For months, my manager had insisted that I use the title of vice president in my email signature, my LinkedIn profile, and when introducing myself to external parties.

Except with the vice president title, there would be no actual promotion. There would be no formal announcement. There would be no increase in base compensation, no additional stock grants, no additional headcount or resources, and no change to my bonus target. This was a “fake promotion.”

Promotions in title only aren’t a new phenomenon. Some leaders may think that by offering you a better title, they’re honoring your contributions and showing that they value you. Some might offer promotions in title only as a way to retain talent when attrition starts to spike. Or, with the pressure to show progress on their diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) commitments, some companies will be looking for shortcuts — without doing the meaningful work.

Since the “diversity tipping point” of 2020, companies have pledged more than $35 billion toward advancing racial equity. With renewed attention on the lack of representation of Black talent across many industries, companies are under pressure to have their employee bases reflect the changing demographics of the U.S. Adidas, Facebook, Salesforce, Target, and The New York Times are examples of organizations across industries that have published pledges on their commitment to increasing representation of Black talent and people of color more broadly.

Additionally, with the pandemic having had a devastating impact on women, companies are under pressure to hire and advance more of them. According to the National Women’s Law Center, women’s workforce participation has already dropped to 57%, the lowest level since 1988. Movements including The Marshall Plan for Moms, founded by activist Reshma Saujani, are upping the pressure on the public and private sector to help women get back into and stay in the workforce.

Offering fake promotions can be a form of diversity washing, where organizations look for quick fixes to their public DEI commitments. Here’s what to do if you fear you may be the target of diversity washing and are being offered a fake promotion.

But the CAF wouldn't make this mistake, right? ;)

Summary. Promotions in title only aren’t a new phenomenon. Some leaders may think that by offering you a better title, they’re honoring your contributions and showing that they value you. Some might offer promotions in title only as a way to retain talent when attrition starts...

“She’s a vice president,” my manager chided me in front of guests. “She just doesn’t give herself credit with the title.” This was after I had introduced myself as a director, which was my actual title. For months, my manager had insisted that I use the title of vice president in my email signature, my LinkedIn profile, and when introducing myself to external parties.

Except with the vice president title, there would be no actual promotion. There would be no formal announcement. There would be no increase in base compensation, no additional stock grants, no additional headcount or resources, and no change to my bonus target. This was a “fake promotion.”

Promotions in title only aren’t a new phenomenon. Some leaders may think that by offering you a better title, they’re honoring your contributions and showing that they value you. Some might offer promotions in title only as a way to retain talent when attrition starts to spike. Or, with the pressure to show progress on their diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) commitments, some companies will be looking for shortcuts — without doing the meaningful work.

Since the “diversity tipping point” of 2020, companies have pledged more than $35 billion toward advancing racial equity. With renewed attention on the lack of representation of Black talent across many industries, companies are under pressure to have their employee bases reflect the changing demographics of the U.S. Adidas, Facebook, Salesforce, Target, and The New York Times are examples of organizations across industries that have published pledges on their commitment to increasing representation of Black talent and people of color more broadly.

Additionally, with the pandemic having had a devastating impact on women, companies are under pressure to hire and advance more of them. According to the National Women’s Law Center, women’s workforce participation has already dropped to 57%, the lowest level since 1988. Movements including The Marshall Plan for Moms, founded by activist Reshma Saujani, are upping the pressure on the public and private sector to help women get back into and stay in the workforce.

Offering fake promotions can be a form of diversity washing, where organizations look for quick fixes to their public DEI commitments. Here’s what to do if you fear you may be the target of diversity washing and are being offered a fake promotion.

How many people are under-ranked in their current role? I know many doing the work of a position requiring a higher rank without the associated benefits. This is wrong and I would say the complicated and stringent process to give someone an AWSE rank is at least part of the issue. Requiring CMP approval for a decision that ultimately costs the institution a couple 1000s of dollars is ridiculous…. How about you trust your L2 and L3 commanders to make the right decision???

How many people are under-ranked in their current role? I know many doing the work of a position requiring a higher rank without the associated benefits. This is wrong and I would say the complicated and stringent process to give someone an AWSE rank is at least part of the issue. Requiring CMP approval for a decision that ultimately costs the institution a couple 1000s of dollars is ridiculous…. How about you trust your L2 and L3 commanders to make the right decision???
I will turn this around:

how many LCols and Cols are doing work that should, more properly (and often was done, 30 decades ago) be done by Captains and Majors?

Is not part of the problem that we have inflated the ranks “required” to do certain work out of all proportion to its importance?

I will turn this around:

how many LCols and Cols are doing work that should, more properly (and often was done, 30 decades ago) be done by Captains and Majors?

Is not part of the problem that we have inflated the ranks “required” to do certain work out of all proportion to its importance?
That may be so but as soon as the institution says a certain position requires a certain rank, and we employ people under that rank in that position, we are failing people.

That may be so but as soon as the institution says a certain position requires a certain rank, and we employ people under that rank in that position, we are failing people.
But when the institution can't be trusted to stop licking its own ass then you fail the public....your raison d'etre.

As soon as the institution says a certain position requires a certain rank when it doesn't, we are failing the public.

Don't get me started on the ranks of Squadron Commander and Wing Commander. I'm an equal opportunity hater: I think infantry companies, artillery batteries and tank squadrons should all be run by senior captains, too. And then there's that everybody becomes a corporal once you can chew gum thing. ... and the non rank of master corporal. ... and ... Sigh.

The Canadian Armed Forces ... failing the public since unification/integration.

😉

As soon as the institution says a certain position requires a certain rank when it doesn't, we are failing the public.

Don't get me started on the ranks of Squadron Commander and Wing Commander. I'm an equal opportunity hater: I think infantry companies, artillery batteries and tank squadrons should all be run by senior captains, too. And then there's that everybody becomes a corporal once you can chew gum thing. ... and the non rank of master corporal. ... and ... Sigh.

The Canadian Armed Forces ... failing the public since unification/integration.

😉
I 100% agree but it is not a reason to fail our own.

Given the current state of CAF staffing, that under-ranked person is likely also wearing two hats, making it even worse. No wonder we are losing people who can retire, they see years of extra work, and little appreciation or reward.

Given the current state of CAF staffing, that under-ranked person is likely also wearing two hats, making it even worse. No wonder we are losing people who can retire, they see years of extra work, and little appreciation or reward.

I worked with a CPO2 here on staff that 12 different job titles he could put on his signature block and was tasked 2 days after being posted to set up a CoC. Because ? He's a Chief he will will it happen.

No suprise he lasted a year and had to tap for his own health.

Im glad he did too, he's a great guy.

I don't have a job description yet. My trade has been part of the PaCE trials and I've never received anything "PaCE" yet, other than my doing my MAP and monthly/important Feedbacks.

Off to a great start!
😁
Classic CAF; great idea, nobody bothered to make/read/follow an implementation plan.

I am fully committed to creating a workplace that is welcoming, inclusive, safe and respectful for every member of our team.

Right off the bat this sounds like any one of a thousand canned phrases we've all heard over and over and over. Just missing "robust" in there. Saying she's fully committed seems... I don't know. Was there an option to being partially committed? These messages have more impact if they are more personalized and not buzz phrases.

I am fully committed to creating a workplace that is welcoming, inclusive, safe and respectful for every member of our team.

Right off the bat this sounds like any one of a thousand canned phrases we've all heard over and over and over. Just missing "robust" in there. Saying she's fully committed seems... I don't know. Was there an option to being partially committed? These messages have more impact if they are more personalized and not buzz phrases.

Man, the first time anyone actually acts on these phrases is going to be shocking.

Back