• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Accidentally bought a yacht

So funny little update.

As I believe I've stated I am buying this boat sight unseen.

I was led to believe it has no electronics at all, by the surveyor, the captain who backed out etc. Any rate, we bought a couple little things to get her to Canada safely and planned on installing them this weekend (well more my brother would be, since I'm up north). My brother and I had been informed two cabinets seemed to be sealed shut and no one had been able to open them, we were told or well led to believe only knick knacks and some auto pilot things were in there and well.. that was true but their was a lot more haha

The boat has an older top of the line Lowrance system from the early 2000ish chartplotter/gps, depth sounder, autopilot, radar and a vhf radio. All tested today, all working.

I am quite surprised and happy. I paid a price for this boat that I had assumed included absolutely zilch for electronics.. now that I know it has a full working system.. I am kind of excited, I feel like I got quite the deal now. I will be replacing the electronics down the road, with newer stuff but the fact it has so much, right now.. is awesome.

The charging systems on the boat, the quality, christ let's just say I am hearing a lot of good news today haha and had to share.

Abdullah

P.s there may or may not have been one little fuse my brother had to change to bring everything online ๐Ÿ‘น๐Ÿ˜‰ now he is apparently doing redundant testing and checking other systems. I'm stoked.

Make sure you got a good supply of fuses, wire, cutter, crimpers and tape to fix stuff. Unseen corrosion on connectors can do all sorts of weird things. If you have some money to spare, get the fuel sucked out of the system and either scrubbed or replaced. Get a couple sets of fuel filters at the very least. when an older boat hits rough weather, it can churn up krud in the fuel tank and clog your filters, causing engine to die. If the going gets a bit choppy don't be afraid with running on a engine with your mainsail partly up and reefed to slow the roll.ย 

When I saw the title I remembered how Joey Tribbiani accidentally buys a boatย  ;D Well Fiji and Thailand are definitely nice and cheap but I'd go for Greece. The other day I was checking the listings for the villas for sale in Greece and when I saw the prices I could barely stop myself from buying a villa accidentally ;D

Felix44 said:
When I saw the title I remembered how Joey Tribbiani accidentally buys a boatย  ;D Well Fiji and Thailand are definitely nice and cheap but I'd go for Greece. The other day I was checking the listings for the villas for sale in Greece and when I saw the prices I could barely stop myself from buying a villa accidentally ;D

I can only explain away so much ๐Ÿ˜‚ yacht one year.. villa the next.. my wife might shoot me haha...

But, then again.. it does, give us a place to.. sail to ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Colin P said:
Make sure you got a good supply of fuses, wire, cutter, crimpers and tape to fix stuff. Unseen corrosion on connectors can do all sorts of weird things. If you have some money to spare, get the fuel sucked out of the system and either scrubbed or replaced. Get a couple sets of fuel filters at the very least. when an older boat hits rough weather, it can churn up krud in the fuel tank and clog your filters, causing engine to die. If the going gets a bit choppy don't be afraid with running on a engine with your mainsail partly up and reefed to slow the roll.

What Colin said. :nod:

Racor is your friend! ;)

Good luck!

G2G

Hopefully the link works, but here is some pictures of my first trip, for yall :)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2320204264930713&id=100008234866702

Abdullah

Colin P said:
Nice you got through Deception and on a great looking day!!!

I brought rain gear, thought for sure we would be rained out on this trip and miserable. Instead I now have a sun burn happily, that'll learn me I will always prepare for the best and worse haha.

But I am afraid I am addicted. Was an amazing trip, I have about 20 minutes of video and 90 pictures from the trip lol. Wife and kids cant wait to get out on her.

Back