• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Swerve On Leave/leadership- from "CAF Members File Suit"

I’m sure the irony of losing an allowance explicitly tied to doing their duty was lost on them…
It has been lost on many folks for a long time, you know you have lost the plot on LDA when the Svc Bn was the strictest at reviewing it out west. I chuckled when we shared our policy and one of the unit CO's said he would get hammered if he implemented it.

TBF I think they now have some semblance of a Bde policy (which is really "hey guy let follow the CBI") but was probably 10 years late in coming

There's not supposed to be local variation. If COs are choosing to not enforce the rules...

Well the CAF has never been good at enforcing policy.

See also IR policy
Or the policy's for things like shorts, I may know of a unit that takes every Friday as a short while having the highest VOR rate in the CAF, when the actual rule is a max of two per month. This is part of the reason the CAF is what it is. All the rules we need exist, no one enforces them.

Or the policy's for things like shorts, I may know of a unit that takes every Friday as a short while having the highest VOR rate in the CAF, when the actual rule is a max of two per month. This is part of the reason the CAF is what it is. All the rules we need exist, no one
Sure, that isn't short leave but I understand what you are saying. There may be context that is unknown. I agree though that short leave in general at least for the the CA is viewed as an entitlement in many corners rather than a occasional reward.

That said knowing the AOR you reside in and most of the units there my curiosity is peaked. I temper it knowing from past conversations you have a tendency to exaggerate things based on what you see at your level without a full understanding of the circumstances. That and VOR stats are easy to pull....

Or the policy's for things like shorts, I may know of a unit that takes every Friday as a short while having the highest VOR rate in the CAF, when the actual rule is a max of two per month. This is part of the reason the CAF is what it is. All the rules we need exist, no one enforces them.
In my first regiment, every Friday afternoon was designated "sports afternoon" with "sports" being very loosely defined but in the majority of cases did involve a form of physical fitness.

Taking a "short" every Friday is a bit ... outrageous.

🍻

In my first regiment, every Friday afternoon was designated "sports afternoon" with "sports" being very loosely defined but in the majority of cases did involve a form of physical fitness.

🍻
I disagree depending on the situation. Me spending the month of May in the field at guncamp is still nowhere made up timewise by having 4 Fridays off in June.

🍻
Sounds more like hyperbole than anything TBH.

Don't get me wrong Sports afternoons and early dismissal are into many weeks but haven't seen wholesale Friday's off. We are an inefficient bunch but not that bad

Last edited:
I disagree depending on the situation. Me spending the month of May in the field at guncamp is still nowhere made up timewise by having 4 Fridays off in June.
Which is exactly what short leave is for, but it's limited to 2 days per calendar month.

🍻

Oh yes......the equivelent of one 12 hour overtime shift. Screw family time, we need to pad my Commanding resume.....

EDIT: I see Bri and I posted the same thing/same time....

Special leave relocation in advance of an exercise - if you're going for 14 days, it's one day leave; 31+ days, two days leave before the exercise; and as long as its 14 days or more, 2 days on return. Table 2.1 to the leave manual.

Special leave relocation in advance of an exercise - if you're going for 14 days, it's one day leave; 31+ days, two days leave before the exercise; and as long as its 14 days or more, 2 days on return. Table 2.1 to the leave manual.
Because one day of leave makes up for four weekend days away...

I get that those are the rules imposed on the CAF, but rules like that are exactly why people leave. A member can spend 14-30 days away from home, and get exactly one day off in compensation. Regardless of the missed school events, birthdays, anniversaries, etc...

I get that those are the rules imposed on the CAF, but rules like that are exactly why people leave. A member can spend 14-30 days away from home, and get exactly one day off in compensation. Regardless of the missed school events, birthdays, anniversaries, etc...

Unless you're in the Navy at sea, then you miss out on a whole lot more than that.

I think I've said here a few times our leave policy is in dire need of a upgrade.

Unless you're in the Navy at sea, then you miss out on a whole lot more than that.

Probably the biggest reason we lose people is we demand they spend 200 +/- days away and throw a pittance of compensation at them and then we get our noses out of joint when they give us the finger.

Funny I would expect a union would help with this.

Back