• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Pittance of Time

Every year, in the days leading up to Remembrance Day, the song "Green Fields", by the Northern Pikes always pops into mind. It's a great song, and deals with a World War 2 vet and his experiences, past and present. Well worth a listen.
Here's the lyrics, in case you're interested: http://216.194.97.9/html/lyrics/greenfields.html

Infanteer said:
Jiggy music?

At least it could have been AC/DC or something....

All of the posts on this Thread, seem to reflect, sadness, appreciation,reflection and respect, I just can't seem to fit your comments into any of these areas, considering the base root (Remembrance Day).

Maybe I have misread your comments ?, perhaps you could point out where I errored.

Cheers.

To be a littlemore blunt. I found your comments to be distasteful and completely unnecessary. Perhaps you could stick to that saying you most likely head as a small child. "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all."

On a brighter note I listend to both songs and it filled me with sadness but at the same time pride, that we have people in our nation that would do so that for our freedom.

Gee....thanks a lot Chimo. Just when I thought "A Pittance of Time" made me  :'(. You bring this song along. It is an excellent song, and it's about time someone created a song like this. Thanks  ;D

No problem..I think all these songs are excellent and should all be played on radio and television stations throughout the Remembrance Day all over Canada so people, who obstain from going to Rem day services, can listen ans reflect on those who gave up there lives and who have risked all in the defence of democracy and our great country. :salute: :cdn:

Unfortunately, A Pittance of Time rang true for my wife several years back when we lived in Victoria.  Her company called for a moment of silence over the store's intercomm and she had to deal with a customer that didn't think the request applied to them.

Today I had to hold it back.  I mentioned after class that U of T was having a Remembrance Day ceremony tomorrow and had a classmate laugh at the idea of giving up a day off to attend.  This from an apparently well-educated individual...  Maybe it's just me, but compared to other parts of the country, the people in Toronto don't seem to really give a s**t.  I've seen few places selling poppies and even fewer wearing them... 

It's cynical, but sometimes I wonder if the general population thinks that the greatest freedom is the freedom to not care where it came from.  :-\

I was asked to participate in a ceremony at an elementary school this week.  I suggested a presentation of this video and/or song.  It was scrapped in favour of a rendition of everyones favorite communist manifesto.

However, my wife is a TA at another school, and she ensured it was played.  She informed me it was well received.

Lest we forget.  :salute:

Dirt Digger said:
Today I had to hold it back.   I mentioned after class that U of T was having a Remembrance Day ceremony tomorrow and had a classmate laugh at the idea of giving up a day off to attend.  

Even at my school in Calgary, students were openly telling friends that they were skipping the assembly. It's a damn shame.

Dirt Digger said:
This from an apparently well-educated individual...  

If it's any consolation, it appeared to be the dumf**** who decided to skip here.

Here's a little something I decided to do: http://www.livejournal.com/users/offenso/7752.html (a song of my own)

Lest we forget

Well Zartan, I hate to say it but you simply can't make people care. I find it sad how little some people, especially teens and young adults, care about remembering why we are where we are today. Call it overlooking facts, but I suppose some things, such as freedom, will always be taken for granted by some people. Nice work on the song, by the way.

actually i resent that comment most of my friends that i know are clowns and goof around like that but when it comes to issues of rememberance day and veterans they are serious because they understand what they  did for us. Alot of people had grand parents that served in wars or even parents so they respect that kind of stuff. I myself had my great grandpa in the British Navy my great uncle was in the british army. If anyone ever does disrespects anything or anyone that served  they need to get there head a good shake.

Chris

On my way home from work this morning Q-107 in Toronto gave at least 10 minutes of airtime between the song and the commentary....a nice and classy touch from DJ John Derringer. :salute:

2332Piper said:
Between the video itself, the mood of the ceremony and everything else, well....the vet there started to tear up, I swear I saw the RCMP flag bearer brush away a tear and my eyes got a wee bit watery (ok, ok, I'm a sissy sometimes, I admit it).

You're not the only one. I get that way every time I watch the video.

I was responsible for putting together the Remembrance Day ceremony at my school.  I used the video as an opening to settle everyone down.  625 kids from 4 to 14 sitting in a gym in complete silence 30 sec into the song was nice to see.  Some of the older kids, and some staff were in tears by the time it was over.  It was an effective mood setter for the ceremony.  There is SOME hope for the future.

I just saw this for the first time last Wendesday, I felt that it was very well done and got the message across to everyone who was there watching it with me successfully. Just some inapporiate coments were made after it was over (mostly about the song itself, I am in highschool after all) but the fact that no one spoke during the whole video (the song and a documentary) was enough to keep me happy through the day.

just for some other information Canadian Pacific Railroad shut down the entire rail system across Canada and on Tracks they  run in the US at 11 AM local time for 2 minutes of silence and respect then each train crew pull the cord to sound the horn for one long blast to pay  tribute to the  CPR  men who died in the service of the Country

http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/English/Media/News/General/2005/Veterans+unite+to+remember.htm
November 10, 2005
Calgary, Alberta

CPR to stop all trains across both countries for two minutes of silence

Canadian Pacific Railway, Canada's first transcontinental railway, will pay tribute on November 11 to those who served Canada and the United States to preserve freedom in both countries.

At 11 a.m. local time on November 11, CPR employees will bring all trains across Canada and the United States to a halt, observing two minutes of silence in honour of those who have served their country in war. Following the silence, every CPR train across Canada and the United States will sound one long train whistle blast â “ a CPR salute to the nations' war veterans.

This year, which marks the Year of the Veteran in Canada, all CPR employees who fought for Canada and the United States will be honoured as part of Remembrance Day and Veterans' Day ceremonies at a special monument outside of the company's head office.

CPR CEO Rob Ritchie says the sacrifice that so many people gave in order to secure our future will never be forgotten. "For the freedom we enjoy today, we owe it all to the brave men and women who served our countries and to those who continue to answer the call to preserve democracy in the 21st century."

Military veteran and CPR pensioner, Les Davies says it's important to continue the tradition of remembrance. "In honouring the efforts of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, we remember that if it weren't for them, we wouldn't have the freedom that we enjoy now." Davies will be laying a wreath at the CPR ceremony to remember those whose lives were lost.

Current employees enlisted in the reserve in both countries also will be recognized at the event, as well as the role CPR, as a company, has had supporting Canada and the United States during armed conflicts.

Some 33,127 Canadian Pacific employees served in the last century's two world conflicts alone. Sadly, 1,774 sacrificed their lives. A total of 27 Canadian Pacific ships were lost in the two world wars.

This e-mail has come through my box a few times in the last couple years.  It's nice to know the story behind how the song came about.  Thanks for posting.

".....sometimes I wonder if the general population thinks that the greatest freedom is the freedom to not care where it came from."

Dirt Digger, methinks you have a good point there.

Tom

For those who have been touched by these gentlemen's words, they can be contacted thus:

Terry Kelly tkpro@terry-kelly.com
Julian Austin info@julianaustin.com

I know I'm sending a few words of thanks. :salute:

Thanks for bumping this thread.  I had not heard Mr. Kelly's song nor seen the video before.  I agree with masny who posted earlier that this should be played at schools.

Here in Port McNicoll, the kids obviously have no respect for those who serve.  They actively vandalize the Cenotaph.  They even tore down the flag pole.  One of the O.P.P. here told me that when they caught one of the 14 year old vandals, the kid didn't even know this monument was erected to honour his own relatives who had served. It's pretty pathetic.

Back