• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A few questions that have been rolling around in my head.

Vash13

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have been seriously considering in restarting an application process, and I just had a few questions.  I'd appreciate any insight on the issues. They are as follows;

1. I am left handed and therefore, I hold a firearm in a likewise manner.  That being said, will I have to worry about ejecting brass or powder burns?  (silly question, but it popped into my head)
2.  I am currently enrolled in a full time college trade diploma program.  I had heard second hand that some high school students were able to do trade co-op somehow?  Is this true?  If so, is there any way I could do my co-op year within the forces?

3.If I am next year still a civilian, and in accordance with my program I obtain a 1 year co-op agreement of employment, I would still like to be able to join the forces, in reserve.  (Which is actually where I would like to start.  Opinions?) Now, I would like to be able to do both at the same time, but I'm not sure if I can.  If weeked training is still offered (confirm?) then that would be an option, and then obviously the summer.    if I chose to apply for the summer training term, then I would have to work something out with my employer.  Now I am wondering though.  I'm pretty sure that you can't be discriminated against in a job for training in the Forces, but I'm not sure how this applies with my co-op term, as I would be in a work term agreement.  Does anyone have any information regarding this?  Whether I would have to work something out, couldn't apply, or could apply regardless?

4.  Lastly, this is more of a personal information question like #1.  An aquaintance of mine is also seriously considering joining the Forces.  The reserves specifically.  Now not that this is really important or anything but I was just wondering.  What are the chances of training together?  I have been through cadets, and I would assume that likewise, where you end up (what platoon/squad) during basic would be random.  Would any of the following factors have any bearinng on it?

-where you 'asked' to be posted to after basic
-summer/weekend training?  what I mean by this, is when you go for the 10 weeks in the summer, you are there all the time, so it wouldn't matter which squad you were in, but if there is weekend training and you were doing it this way, that would mean that on those weekends, those recruits attending would all go down on a bus or something from their local armoury.  Is this correct, and if so, would this mean you may all train together?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

In the reserves, you will most likely be stuck together.  You aren't exactly posted.  You will stay with the unit you enlisted with.

If you are doing weekend BMQ sessions, then you would be kept together.  I am assuming it works the same kind of way for summer BMQ, they try to send everyone from one unit to the same training detachment for BMQ.  I don't know if they would put them in different platoons/sections.

The C-7, according to the manufacturer, can be fired regardless of "handedness".  I haven't tried it, but I am sure there are at least one or 2 here that are lefties, and could provide better input on their experiences.

I can't answer the rest of your questions unfortunately.  Hopefully someone else can help.

Vash13 said:
1. I am left handed and therefore, I hold a firearm in a likewise manner.  That being said, will I have to worry about ejecting brass or powder burns?  (silly question, but it popped into my head)

There are many left handed shooters in the CF, this is not a significant issue for you to be concerned about it.

Vash13 said:
2.  I am currently enrolled in a full time college trade diploma program.  I had heard second hand that some high school students were able to do trade co-op somehow?  Is this true?  If so, is there any way I could do my co-op year within the forces?

The high school students take their BMQ as a Co-op course during part days for one semester, this also provides then high school credits.  It is not a program similar to college/university co-op employment.

Vash13 said:
3.If I am next year still a civilian, and in accordance with my program I obtain a 1 year co-op agreement of employment, I would still like to be able to join the forces, in reserve.  (Which is actually where I would like to start.  Opinions?) Now, I would like to be able to do both at the same time, but I'm not sure if I can.  If weeked training is still offered (confirm?) then that would be an option, and then obviously the summer.    if I chose to apply for the summer training term, then I would have to work something out with my employer.  Now I am wondering though.  I'm pretty sure that you can't be discriminated against in a job for training in the Forces, but I'm not sure how this applies with my co-op term, as I would be in a work term agreement.  Does anyone have any information regarding this?  Whether I would have to work something out, couldn't apply, or could apply regardless?

The Reserves do their courses and training from September to June on weekends and evenings.  As long as your co-op employer has you working Monday to Friday during regular business hours, there should be no problem in being available for Reserve training.

You cannot, however, expect your co-op employer (or any employer) to give you time off for “x” weeks to go away on a course.  It’s not a discriminatory practice to not allow this; though some employers are willing to do so for their employees.

Vash13 said:
4.  Lastly, this is more of a personal information question like #1.  An acquaintance of mine is also seriously considering joining the Forces.  The reserves specifically.  Now not that this is really important or anything but I was just wondering.  What are the chances of training together?  I have been through cadets, and I would assume that likewise, where you end up (what platoon/squad) during basic would be random.  Would any of the following factors have any bearing on it?

-where you 'asked' to be posted to after basic
-summer/weekend training?  what I mean by this, is when you go for the 10 weeks in the summer, you are there all the time, so it wouldn't matter which squad you were in, but if there is weekend training and you were doing it this way, that would mean that on those weekends, those recruits attending would all go down on a bus or something from their local armoury.  Is this correct, and if so, would this mean you may all train together?

If you join the same unit of the reserves together, in the same trade, you will most likely be sent on the same courses.

Reservist aren’t “posted” after their basic and trade training, they are employed at the unit.

Back