• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A few questions about battle school

• Thread starter Charliedontsurf
  • Start date
C

Charliedontsurf

My enlistment is in the process, first choice infantry soldier.  I have a few questions that aren't too important its just about being better informed, and getting a better picture etc.  What kind of field exercises can I expect in Meadford? Are there any live fire one? With blank ammunition? With special training rounds?  How do such exercises work?  How much time are we in our full kit out in the field?  For me the more the better, how much time is spent with equipment and weapons, vs class time?  I do want to note I have no aversion to class time and look forward to learning loads of things in or out of the class, once again I just want to inform myself better.  Thanks in advance if anyone can help out, cheers

Charliedontsurf,

you might want to try exploring the training related threads on Soldier Qualification and Basic Infantry Qualification in the Recruiting FAQ and Infantry FAQ, respectively:

Infantry FAQ; see the section titled BIQ - http://army.ca/forums/threads/21131.0.html

Recruiting FAQ; Training - http://army.ca/forums/threads/21101/post-103989.html#msg103989

There is also an effective search function, the Advanced search page can be found here: http://army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced

Welcome to the Forum

hey I did read all of the links in the faq, but they did not include info to the specific questions I posted though it is a great FAQ it saved me a lot of time going just fishing for info that I would have had to research anyways.  You guys did a good job on it!

Battle School eh?  Well its no longer known as that.  As a result of Soldier Qualifications, BS was turned into 2 courses for those of us going Infantry.

Anywho, as far as some of your questions go, hehe.  There is plenty of field work - more so in the SQ. 

Field ex's for SQ consist of your basic dismounted Offensive and Defensive Ops, and tactical ops.  You'll have fun digging trenches in Meaford's lovely hard clay.  You'll have oodles of fun lugging around your pioneer kit and moving kit in the middle of the nights because someone higher up called "pull pull!".  The truth is, there is sufficient amounts in the SQ to familiarize yourself with the C6/C9  and Grenades, plus basic field operations.  It's a bit hard to answer some of your questions though, since the best answer I have sounds entirely like buearucractic BS.  For SQ, the time in field and class are proportionate to the material you are learning.  Everything is very streamlined, believe me.  For every week we completed we wrote a critique on it as a course, and at the end we had a course critique involving the CO. 

As for being in "fulll kit."  hehe, you're almost always in full kit here in Meaford.  Going to weapons class?  Full Fighting Order.  Going to the Dreary building?  FFO...  You'll learn to love your Frag vest, heh.

As for a Live fire excercise, that wont happen until your near the end of the BIQ.  SQ does plenty of section attacks with blanks, and even one platoon level section attack, but not with live rounds.  Remember SQ is simply to familiarize soon-to-be-soldiers with the various weapon systems covered by the course.

My only advice is to simply focus on your course now.  What is to come for you, will come in time.  Chances are you'll have your hands full enough with basic. 

Ciao

Thaedes said:
Battle School eh?   Well its no longer known as that.   As a result of Soldier Qualifications, BS was turned into 2 courses for those of us going Infantry.

Anywho, as far as some of your questions go, hehe.   There is plenty of field work - more so in the SQ.  

Field ex's for SQ consist of your basic dismounted Offensive and Defensive Ops, and tactical ops.   You'll have fun digging trenches in Meaford's lovely hard clay.   You'll have oodles of fun lugging around your pioneer kit and moving kit in the middle of the nights because someone higher up called "pull pull!".    The truth is, there is sufficient amounts in the SQ to familiarize yourself with the C6/C9   and Grenades, plus basic field operations.    It's a bit hard to answer some of your questions though, since the best answer I have sounds entirely like buearucractic BS.   For SQ, the time in field and class are proportionate to the material you are learning.   Everything is very streamlined, believe me.   For every week we completed we wrote a critique on it as a course, and at the end we had a course critique involving the CO.  

As for being in "fulll kit."   hehe, you're almost always in full kit here in Meaford.   Going to weapons class?   Full Fighting Order.   Going to the Dreary building?   FFO...   You'll learn to love your Frag vest, heh.

As for a Live fire excercise, that wont happen until your near the end of the BIQ.   SQ does plenty of section attacks with blanks, and even one platoon level section attack, but not with live rounds.   Remember SQ is simply to familiarize soon-to-be-soldiers with the various weapon systems covered by the course.

My only advice is to simply focus on your course now.   What is to come for you, will come in time.   Chances are you'll have your hands full enough with basic.  

Ciao

awesome thanks for the insight, so Soldier Qualification comes after basic, its what 10 weeks? what is the second course your talking about?  MOC which is also 10 weeks?

BMQ and SQ used to be one course known as QL2, but now their seperate. Everyone in the Army has to take the SQ course, not just the Infantry.

Reg Force SQ is 6-7 weeks long and Basic Infantry Qualification(your Infantry MOC training) is 10-11 weeks long.

MikeL said:
BMQ and SQ used to be one course known as QL2, but now their seperate. Everyone in the Army has to take the SQ course, not just the Infantry.

Reg Force SQ is 6-7 weeks long and Basic Infantry Qualification(your Infantry MOC training) is 10-11 weeks long.

awesome thanks for the info man! 

Yep, SQ courses in Meaford right now are running for 35 days.  While BIQ is about 11 weeks now. 

If you're lucky, you'll get on an SQ that is predominantly infantry canidates.  They tend to work you a bit harder knowing that you have a BIQ soon after that the SQ course does little to prepare you for.

Anywho, best of luck.

Will do.  If everything goes acording to the way the recruiter presented it to me, I still have a minimum of a month plus until basic starts, feb 14th he said.  Im runing a minimum of the 2.4 k at least 6 times a week and working out regularly, steadily increasing everything.

MikeL said:
BMQ and SQ used to be one course known as QL2, but now their seperate.
Yes, but no.   The QL2 was replaced by BMQ.   SQ is something new entirely and fits between what we knew to be QL2 and QL3.   Despite being new many POs, that were cut from QL2 in its final years, have found thier way into the SQ because they were specific to the Army.

Here is the "everything you want to know about SQ" thread: Soldier Qualification Course (Questions & Answers)

:warstory:when i joined i did my TQ3 with 2RCR..it was "in battalion" training.............ofcourse that was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long ago ::) :p

Meaford sucks dude.....so much, the training area is full of tank ruts and it snows like hell there in the winter not to mention your belt fed COCK the whole time your there. Enjoy Basic training becasue it is a joke compared to the BIQ course. Enjoy

a bunch of the faq section links are broken,
ie: soldier qualification course,
infantry doctrine,
where will I be posted,
joint task force 2 ( JTF 2 ), 
A (parachute ) coy, 3 PPCLI and 3RCR Parachute Coy, compair and contrast,
Questions about paratroops,
Paratroopers training questions,
chances at para, res vs cadets,
unarmed combat part deux,
The C7,
Thats just a few of the broken links...more than likely there is more

I see so often people getting annoyed at others asking questions and instantly bitching that they havent read the faq's yet the majority of links are broken  :-\

Back