• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A certain bar in Ottawa

Really?!? Wow, I'm headed to Comox this summer I just might pop down and see if I'm on the list  ;) That period of my career is, admittedly, a little fuzzy!

The phrase" been there,done that" can be echoed by a vast majority of today's soldiers. Soldiers have always been given the sshitty end of the stick. In today's military and in the military of my time(60's,70's) boys were trained to be men and as men we accepted what Canadian citizens said or did to soldiers. It happened on rare occasions but it still happened.
If soldiers were given a strip for every injustice done to them, they need arms down to their ankles. As was said prior, no need to make a mountain out of a mole hill. The bounced may have issues that we are not privy to, for him to react that way. You did the correct thing and kept walking. This will not be your first situation, nor will it be your last.
But as soldiers you will show the same control in the future as you did in Ottawa.
You did the Canadian Military Family proud.

Bob Terwilliger said:
Stop rationalizing. The bouncer needed a beating.

I don't care who calls me names (even fagggot), and I would certainlly not openly smash someone for it, causing me to get an assault charge. I value my freedom, my creditation as a Defence Force member, and I would not want my Regiment brough into the limelight.

The bouncer is a wanker, I can live with that, and he has to all the time. Not fit to wipe my arse, but not fit for a flogging either.

Cheers,

Wes

3rd Herd said:
Yes times are a changing. 20- 30 years ago out goes the bouncer, in goes the troops. Now the troops these days write letters, must be the higher education level.  ;) But on reflection maybe the guy is a jerk, management knows this and some nice gift certs will be the response to a well thought out literary reply.

Bern,
that place on Douglas in Victoria that used to photocopy our IDs and post them by the door under "life time ban list". Twenty years later and they are still stapled to the wall.  ;D

I remember that place!  ;D Left in 84, went back in 88 and the list was still there. I did inform the management that they could remove two of the names because they were both dead now and I'm pretty sure they weren't coming back. :eek:

Yup the Esq inn was/is the halfway house but the one you're talking about on Douglas was the Forge.  Woop, Woop.  ;)
(or it was when the "list" was started)

BernDawg said:
Yup the Esq inn was/is the halfway house but the one you're talking about on Douglas was the Forge.  Woop, Woop.  ;)
(or it was when the "list" was started)

BernDawg goes to the head of the class  :)

2 Cdo said:
I remember that place!  ;D Left in 84, went back in 88 and the list was still there. I did inform the management that they could remove two of the names because they were both dead now and I'm pretty sure they weren't coming back. :eek:

I was going to have management pull it all down as most of us have grown older and maybe some what wiser but decided it is a unique piece of regimental history. Talked to a couple of the door staff, when the new younger staff complain how tough the night has been the older guys point to it and say "you think tonight was bad, you should have been here when these guys used to drink here, let me tell you about the night they threw us out of here............................" Rumor has it grey hair, PPCLI gear gets you a round. Pop into the HH and you may see alot of the old Transport Coy as well.

The Forge? Im not sure if thats even there anymore...

Anyone still remember the 'Half-way House' song?

It was there last November but the enterence is now off Douglas beside the Sticky Wicket and BBJs. The old enterence is now/was the emergencey exit and the place is smaller due to a larger stage. It is now called Legends:

"First opened in 1967 as "The Old Forge", Legends has been a pillar of the Victoria night life scene for over 35 years. Over ten million patrons have spent time dancing to our DJ's, grooving to the live acts on stage and yes, even dining from our mouth-watering banquet menu. Live music has been a major feature of legends history. The list of artists to have performed on our stage is a long and impressive one. Included are such groups as the Tragically Hip, Nirvana, Jewel, Amanda Marshall and the Tea Party. This is an important part of our image as a front runner in Victoria's entertainment scene and live music will continue to be a part of what makes Legends an island favorite. "http://victoria.travel.bc.ca/listings/legends-nighclub/22585/

as for the HH:

"Not long after opening the Blands played host to unusual guests. The ship Brother Jonathan landed in Esquimalt early in the 1860s with a herd of camels brought from the southern U.S., destined to carry supplies during construction of the wagon road to the Cariboo gold fields. While transportation to the mainland of BC was being arranged the camels were corralled in the lot behind the hotel. This unusual attraction brought hundreds of Victorians trudging out from town for a look – an unintentional publicity bonus which no doubt proved good for business.

In 1874 an ad was placed in the colonist newspaper: “Old Established Brewery and Salon for Sale.” The Halfway House boasted two acres of fenced land, its own brewery at the back, and three wells “which never fail” to provide the water.

A later owner, Joe Bayley, improved the building and added a livery stable. The old wooden structure finally gave way to brick, and the building still stands on the site the Blands chose in 1860."http://www.maureenduffus.com/history/halfway-house.html

Back