• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

9 out of 10 Jobs created in Canada in 2020-2021 were in the Public Sector

The stuff I bolded is how it usually happens. The L1/2 level is tasked with implementing the cuts so they naturally won’t cut themselves!

Also what happens with an ideologically driven government is they will say “straight x% cut across all departments except for health and education”. They don’t do the work to determine whether Departments A and D are already understaffed, Department B is x+10% overstaffed and Department C shouldn’t even exist.

IOW, lazy cuts to tell their supporters that they cut government, but not in an effective manner.
It's not even done deliberately; they just don't fill gaps when people retire at the non-executive level for the most part. We lose centuries of experience by people retiring without a turnover period or something to train the new person, regardless of how early they put in their notice.

If they want to hit 2% GDP by 2032, they actually need to grow DND PS, as well as supporting PSPC and ISED personnel (or get rid of a lot of DPS, IRBs, Value proposition, TBS requirements etc).

It’s not just me saying so.

Then there is also the hiring and training mechanism. The CAF has centralized it to CFRG (the ARES may be a slight exception). All applicants go through CFRG and their process.

Every single manager in the PS can in theory run their own process and selection. Not only that, they have multiple ways of doing it. At level, non ads, advertised, bridging, casual, term, assignments and secondments etc etc.

Imagine every platoon commander and or section commander able to run their own recruiting process and selection to fill vacancies when and how they want.

In essence every unit/sub unit in the PS can recruit, process and hire without a centralized selection center like CFRG. As long as they are willing to put in the work to do it.

I’ve been neck deep in both CAF processing (was a senior recruiter at a CFRC) and in PS processing (working in an HR type unit at DND and where I am now).

Both are way different and with different challenges and capacities to do what they do.
When I joined the unit did most of the work, the District/Brigade provided the doctor and likely the bridge HQ did some of the paperwork

1980, Calgary.

Unit MO was a local doctor who volunteered along with the rest of us. I believe he was a DEO captain who did a MITCP type course at Chilliwack along with other doctors, lawyers and chaplains.

Rules on what was an acceptable candidate, required training and necessary clearances have varied.

Resources available have varied.

Back