• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

82 Pattern Rucksack Thread- Merged

kyleg

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I've searched all over for it but I haven't been able to find any threads relating to HOW people set up their kit for marches and field exes. What kind of "tweaks" do you use (i.e. strapping a nuke bag to your ruck)? How do you attach kit (and what kit do you attach) to the outside of your ruck (if at all)? What configurations do you find work best for you?

Cheers,
Pinky

If your allowed to carry it, invest in a 64 pattern ruck and a whole new world of modifications become available.
Other than that,a well secured and well padded waist belt can assist greatly.

I've been looking into getting a 64 pattern bag actually (I already have the frame). Does it have attachment points (somewhat like the ALICE pack)? If so what kinds of things attach well to it?

Cheers,
Pinky

It does have straps on the sides you can attach things to.  I have two 2 quart canteens attached with ALICE clips.  The best thing about the 64 pattern is that if you get a set of A7A straps and leave them long, you can jam almost anything between your valice and main pouch.  Alternately, you can leave your sleeping kit in the main pouch and strap an NBC bag in place of the valice for quick removal.

PPCLI MCpl said:
If your allowed to carry it, invest in a 64 pattern ruck and a whole new world of modifications become available.
Other than that,a well secured and well padded waist belt can assist greatly.

This is great advice from a logical point of view, HOWEVER, most of us that have been there know that it's best not to attract too much attention to oneself if it can be avoided.  ( M/Cpls especially have an inate sense to spot anything that's not according to the 'Regs')  Rigging the 82 Pat is not that complicated and guaranteed there are people in your unit that will help you.  As I've posted here previous, I've never found the 82 that bad except for the waist belt set up.  That can be changed if you have the 'freedom' to use a web belt.  Attach it low enough so that you can throw the load onto your hips.  The padding, unlike the 64 Pat, is built into the frame instead of part of the belt, so that's not an issue.

BTW:  Does anyone know why the 64 Pat was replaced by the 82 Pat?

LF(CMO) said:
This is great advice from a logical point of view, HOWEVER, most of us that have been there know that it's best not to attract too much attention to oneself if it can be avoided.

I have "been there" lately, and I lugged my '64 pattern frame with custom bag through the Reserves, into Battalion, and overseas on Deployment.

Pinky, the 82 pattern is a piece of shit - ditch it if you can.   I know of times when its use has been actively discouraged due to a tendency to snap or fold in half at the worst possible time.  I've never seen anyone get flak for a 64 pattern Ruck - they are government issue, after all.

LF(CMO) said:
   ( M/Cpls especially have an inate sense to spot anything that's not according to the 'Regs')  

I have never denied, nor seen a soldier denied permission use a 64 pattern.  I was even allowed to use one on my QL3(the field portion at least).  I have a feeling I'll still be using a CADPAT version of the 64 till the day I retire.

My section commander uses the old 64 ruck, so I doubt I'd get jacked up for it. I've only seen one for sale here in Montreal though and they're acking $85 for it, in pretty used condition nonetheless. What do you more experienced guys think of that price?

As for the web belt I've already replaced my old waist belt with it, and find that, when done right, it adds some great "padding-like" tension in my lumbar region, makes it extra comfortable. I squeeze it through the outermost "holes" (shaped like big D's) on the 64 frame, works like a charm and doesn't chafe my hip bones.

Cheers,
Pinky

$85 isn't the best price I've ever seen, but it's not bad.  Check ebay, they sometimes offer a good deal. The main thing you want to consider with a waist belt is to take the weight off your shoulders.  When I march, all my shoulder straps do is ensure the ruck doesn't fall off my back.  My hips do the rest of the work.

"If your allowed to carry it..........I have never denied, nor seen a soldier denied permission use a 64 pattern......"?????

Well I know that there would be no trouble for me if I used a 64 pack. So what types of arrangements do you folks use in/on your rucks? Do you attach much to the outside? If so, how?

Cheers,
Pinky

The big trick is finding one...they're a pretty rare find.

Speaking of which, anyone know if there are any decent surplus stores in Kingston?

:dontpanic:

8)    You said that you have the frame.   You can get the Yoke, Yoke Pad and Pack Hip Pad from CP Gear by Wheeler.   You can either purchase   the Main Pack from them as well or lace the 82 Pat bag to the 64 frame to get you by.   Again the 82 isn't as bad as some seem to say it is, especially for all you are going to use it to start.   It's just become cool to totally condemn the 82.   That being said I prefer the 64, mainly because you can pack your sleeping bag and pad more conveniently and therefore the load seems to balance  out better.

Oh yea, if anyone needs a 64 frame you can get one from a good friend of mine (former LDSH), Harrison Garner in Victoria, BC.

Military Gear International  1-888-811-4644

LF(CMO) said:
8)     You can get the Yoke, Yoke Pad and Pack Hip Pad from CP Gear by Wheeler.  

Why do that when the current issue yokes and pads attach right up to the 64 pattern frame with no modifications?

Pte Pinky - if anyone were to shiat on you for having a padded waist belt, they've obviously never done much time in a dismounted role. The only time I would say that would be "acceptable" to shiat on someone for something like that would *maybe* be on a QL3 or BMQ where standardization is the name of the game. Of course, different branches and regiments have their own little quirks....

Pinky you should invest in the dropzone tactical 64 setup.

I used my 64 frame and the 82 bag. Now that i am in the airforce not much use for the frame any more. Had to return the bag as it was issued. The only crappy part is i am missing one shoudler strap for the frame. If you or any one else want to buy it then PM for $30 you can take it away. This is frame with no bag   and missing one shoulder strap.( I do have the original 64 bag and if you want it then $50 for the whole thing.)

I think I may have worded my question wrong. I already have the 82 patter bag along with the 82 pat yoke and ass-pad on my 64 frame. What i'm asking is how you folks attach other kit to the main bag, if at all. It doesn't have attachment points like the alice or 64 pattern bags do, so I'm wondering if you have any tips/tricks. An example would be attaching a 2 qt canteen to the outside for better accessibility.

Cheers,
Pinky

Been requested so here is the instructions for an 82 Pattern

Keep the load light as possible never applied as stated in the 1st page.

If you can I would suggest replacing the waist belt with a utility belt.

Oh and there is a CANFORGEN that states your ruck much not exceed a certain percentage of you body weight. Hmmm will post that one shortly, then go tell your RSM that the listed kit in your ruck exceeds the percentage of your weight and your removing some kit. See what extra duties that will bring.

Oh...well that's good for anyone who willingly uses the whole '82 rucksack.

Just in case there's any interest, I have the official manual for the 1982 Pattern gear (rucksack + webbing) in .pdf. PM me.

Back