• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

81mm mortar

stollhofen

Inactive
Reaction score
Been out of the forces for 25yrs. and I was never a mortar man and I was wondering what and what is the purpose of the devise at the end of the tube of the 81mm mortar ?  Thanks

It is called the Blast Attenuation Device (BAD) and isused to reduce the blast effects on the mortar crew

Hey, leave this one to the experts!

Stollhofen, to answer your question: it is called the Blast Attenuation Device (BAD) and is used to reduce the blast effects on the mortar crew

;D  ;D  ;D

MG

Well I though I was the expert, I have the course and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.  :)

Yes, but is your name "Mortar guy"? Granted, the Holiday Inn Express stay does trump a good handle.

;D

MG

Gentlemen, get in line, let a professional handle this (before Hauptmann Scharlachrot shows up).  :)

Stollhofen, it's called the Blast Attenuation Device (BAD) and was brought into service to reduce the blast over-pressures experienced by the mortar crews.   

Although I'm not a mortar guy, they tended to be part of my chalk/arctic tent group in the Airborne.

I believe you're referring to the device that reduced the blast over-pressures experienced by the mortar crews. They called it a BAD, or Blast Attenuation Device. You should wait for an expert to confirm though; it's been a while since I hung out with Cbt Sp Cdo.  :)

Mind you, there's seldom a long wait for an indirect fire "expert"  ::)
;D

here's a link that can help you,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M252_81mm_mortor,  I'm an ex mortor guy from C bty 1RCHA,  i hated them things.  Lots of hang ups, and gets in the way.  But it was good at lowing the noise put on us.  But for the most part it was pain to have, and the metal clips had a tendancy of gettin lost or broken.

So what you're saying, Crafty, is that its called the Blast Attenuation Device (BAD) and was brought into service to reduce the blast over-pressures experienced by the mortar crews?

:D

MG

PS - Only the Hauptmann can rescue this thread!

lol basically, just didnt want to repeat the statements made by all of you, so I can the guy a link.

Mortar guy said:
So what you're saying, Crafty, is that its called the Blast Attenuation Device (BAD) and was brought into service to reduce the blast over-pressures experienced by the mortar crews?
Like a mere gunner would know anything about this fine (stolen from the) infantry weapon.

I'm sure there'll be an infantry indirect fire expert along soon to explain the Blast Attenuation Device (BAD) and any possible reduction in the blast over-pressures experienced by the mortar crews.
;D

I would have been here sooner, but I was rather busy, tying myself to a cannon here at Fort Frotenac, aka "PFC", protesting the loss of mortars to the artillery.

So, that "device" at the end of the mortar is one of two things:
(a) a baseplate (didn't say which end) ;)

or

(b) Blast Attenuation Device (BAD), and its purpose is to attenuate the blast when fired ;D

As to how it affects the transitional stage of ballistics (from internal to external), well, that will take page upon page of useless drivel.

Thread Rescued? 

;D

Hauptmann Scharlachrot said:
As to how it affects the transitional stage of ballistics (from internal to external), well, that will take page upon page of useless drivel.

That would the intermediate stage of ballistics, whichs covers the transition from internal to external ballistics.

D

Hauptmann Scharlachrot said:
So, that "device" at the end of the mortar is one of two things:
(a) a baseplate (didn't say which end) ;)

or

(b) Blast Attenuation Device (BAD), and its purpose is to attenuate the blast when fired ;D

I would hazard a guess that you are mistaken in your deductions

Actually the Blast Attenuation Device (BAD) is one of the five main parts of the Barrel ML 81mm L16A1/A2.  According to some (inf) it is a device designed to provide a reduction of blast and overpressure.  Others (arty) would expand on this in their teachings and ramble on with trivial points such as “it also helps direct the muzzle blast up and away” or “it is required during firing because the firing tables are based on this configuration.”

As the original poster indicated he was questioning the “devise at the end of the tube” we should be able to infer that the tube he refers to is in fact one of the other main points of the aforementioned Barrel ML 81mm L16A1/A2 – that being the part commonly referred to as the Barrel.  So if the original poster is enquiring about the “devise at the end of the tube” one would also have to explain that at the base of the tube on finds what is commonly referred to as the Breech Plug.

I have no life....

Got to love it when the Mortar Guys try to outdo each other in the knowledge of the Names and Functions of the various parts of the Mortars.  Next, we will get into Charges, Time of Flight, RPM, .................... ;D

little jim said:
Others (arty) would expand on this in their teachings and ramble on with trivial points such as “it also helps direct the muzzle blast up and away” or “it is required during firing because the firing tables are based on this configuration.”

“it also helps direct the muzzle blast up and away” - Does this mean you needed a simpler way to say "protects the crew from the blast over-pressures?  :)

“it is required during firing because the firing tables are based on this configuration.” - Now I'm curious where this came from, there was no reissue of firing tables when the BAD came into use (that I am aware of).  Sounds like someone was tying to "over-technify" a lesson plan after taking it from the PBI.

not sure if it works but try this link for 81mm mortars in action

http://www.operations.mod.uk/video/OpGlacier.wmv

Michael O'Leary said:
Now I'm curious where this came from, there was no reissue of firing tables when the BAD came into use (that I am aware of).  Sounds like someone was tying to "over-technify" a lesson plan after taking it from the PBI.

Bingo - both of the tidbits I gave in quotations came from the artillery's 81mm Mortar Conversion course PO 401.01 - courtesty of the Arty Sch - bless their hearts.

Although I seem to recall that an edition of the TFT for the C70A1 came out that had the phrase "with Blast Attenuation Device" on the front cover.

Speaking of tidbits that sounds like timbits.....ah mortars

Back