• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

7 Year old Killed.

"should they suffer more then they have already i dont think so"

So if i kill someones kid because i was drinking and driving and i feel really bad about it, i shouldnt be sent to jail? I mean, it wont bring their kid back.

The parents were negligent and have to be held accountable. Might also serve to hammer home the point kids shouldnt be allowed on machines they can‘t handle.

Regardless of what age it is to ride a quad these type of incidents will always take place. Sure they may not all be as extreme as a 7 year old being killed, but it will happen as long as they sell these things. And no, I don‘t mean ban them, that helps nothing.
Today still, children drown in backyard pools all the time(as stated above) yet should we pass a law making it illegal to have a pool in your back yard? Should your children be of certain age before you can own a pool? Wouldn‘t that be infringing on peoples personal freedoms? Where do we draw the line?
Myself I was riding a quad that same size when i was only a year or two older than that boy, do I think I should have been at the time? Sure. I could walk out the door right now, get on my dirt bike and wrap it around a tree, so should we set the age limit to 30? Heck no.
But like I said, it is an extreme case and very saddening. Should the parents be punished? No. Their punishment is waking up each and everyday of the rest of their lives knowing what they lost, what they could and/or should have done. Thats a million times worse than anything the Judicial System can throw at them.
Should they be held fully accountable? Yes, they are. Their son is dead. Jailing people and making more by-laws does not end accidents.

Well there‘s that way to look at it.

Another way is: The parents are fully responsible for the well being of their 7 year old child. Without using any comparisons, and only the facts, it seems clear that this child had access to an ATV which he clearly was not of a sufficient age to operate alone, and proceeded to use it, which resulted in a fatal accident.

Parents are legally and morally bound to provide a safe environment for their children, which these parents failed to do.
While a case for manslaughter, or perhaps even second degree murder could be brought against these parents, I haven‘t seen anyone saying that‘s what should happen.
It seems to be more along the lines of neglect, which it obviously is a clear cut case in that respect.

As for feeling bad for the parents, that they‘ve suffered enough etc. well that‘s not what the justice system is meant to do. It‘s not meant to "punish" people for their actions. It‘s meant to hold all of us as Canadians accountable to ourselves and to each other.
And you can‘t be selective about who you choose to prosecute.
If they deserve leniency, then that is for a judge to decide. I don‘t think his parents should be shipped off to prison, to further damage that family unit, but for the rest of the families out there who allow their underage children to ride on ATV‘s not designed for children, then bringing these parents into the judicial system will set an example.

The message will reach much further then just locally and by word of mouth. Things like this are picked up by the press and debated nation wide. Then changes can be made, new laws enacted, etc.

Now to use your examples of the backyard pools. Well 20 years ago when I was a kid, there were plenty of back yard pools that had no fences, no safety floatation devices, no warning signs etc.
After enough children died through the 80‘s and 90‘s by falling into pools and many cases of neglect being tried, there have been some very significant advances in backyard pool safety.
It‘s law to have all the things I mentioned now. Plus there is now pool covers available that even adults can walk across. Soon enough, those will be mandatory too.

Hopefully, one day, the vast majority of ATV owners will be compelled to follow the manufacturing guidelines when it comes to what is a safe age to ride.

Plus I just have to say, enacting new laws does reduce accidents. That‘s why new laws get passed when it comes to safety. It wasn‘t that long ago that you weren‘t required to wear seatbelts.
That and the fact that it wasn‘t an "accident". If someone had hit with their car while he was riding, then that would be an "accident". If a tire blew out, and he crashed, that‘s an accident. He went out of control and crashed, which doen‘t seem like a big suprise to me.

If you let your 7 year old drive your car to and from school enough times, he will crash it. It would be more of an accident if he didn‘t crash it.
It‘s pretty obvious to me that a 7 year old is incapable of safely operating a 250cc quad. Getting in a serious crash does not seem accidental. It seems like a very poorly calculated risk. YOU KNOW a kid that age is at SERIOUS risk riding that kind of power. There are so many things that could go wrong.
He was let down, by those who should have known better.

Thank you Graham, That is exactly the point that I was trying to make, and you have successfuly done so.

Gerry, We are not proposing that age limits be strictly enforced on everything, but instead that Saftey Guidelines that are already there be followed, and that people still use their common sense on top of the knowledge they get from the warnings. It is irresponsible to allow a 7 yr. old drive a machine that can go 100+kph, just as it is irresponsible to leave a 5 yr. old alone in the back yard with a swimming pool that is not protected.

I agree, the father should not go to jail, but I do think that the parents should be held responsible, and our personal feelings should have little bearing on the consequences, regardless if their child died or not, and they are suffering from that fact, that should not let them off the hook, because that would not do any good.

It is a very cynical view, but if there is no legal consequence for their actions, then people will continue to put themselves and their family at risk because people will always say to themselves ‘oh, that will never happen to me‘ until it does. Whereas if there are consequences, people will know that there will be, and take the necessary precautions.

It is like when you are driving your car, if you see a police car in front of you, you slow down, not because you feel that you are going too fast, and you may kill yourself, you slow down because you do not want to get a speding ticket, you do not want to face the legal consequences of your actions.

This is an example of what you shouldn‘t be doing while on a four wheeler =)

http://66.235.182.96/richMedia/146872.mpg
(I made that body armor myself)

All kidding aside i agree with you torn. Just because something tugs at our heart strings doesn‘t mean we should ignore the fact that someone broke the law and a death was the outcome of it. i know people who have done things and felt bad afterward but were still held responsible. It won‘t bring anyone back but it‘s how our law system works (or should work). if you make a poor judgement call you have to own up for it.

The pilot who dropped the bomb on our soldiers in afghanastan felt really really bad. I don‘t think i saw a single post here commenting that the man suffered enough and shouldnt be held responsible.

Putting a child on a machine like that is plain stupid.

In BC when you got your (L)learners permit you had 6 months before you could apply to get your (N) novice which you would have for 18 months before applying to get your Full drivers permit. Because of all the high profile accident rates amoung (N) drivers or that those who had just recieved their full permit ICBC has put more restrictions plus doubled the length of time for both stages of the Learner‘s permit process. Before letting a new driver have a full permit

It is tradgic about the boy losing his life but it‘s still the parents responsibility of a child that age to know what their child is up to.

That and you have to go before a board if you have more than 1 driving infraction, and they often revoke the drivers permit if you have more than 2.

I had a younger friend of mine go through that process for speeding twice. He got to keep his license, but he took the whole thing pretty seriously, which was totally different than when me and my friends got tickets when we were that age.

I think the graduated licensing makes a difference for sure. Once a kid realises that they‘re actually on the verge of not being allowed to drive at all, they really tone it down.

*That clip of the ATV jousting is hilarious*

Back