• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

6 Stupid Gun Myths Everyone Believes (Thanks to Movies)

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
6 Stupid Gun Myths Everyone Believes (Thanks to Movies)

Hollywood wants you dead. We said it. We don't know why. We don't know what they could possibly gain from it, but it's true all the same. Hollywood has been teaching you lessons about guns for decades and decades. Hollywood wants you to build your entire understanding of guns based on the gun tropes they parade in all of their movies. Hollywood wants these gun rules ingrained so deeply in you that you apply these lessons in real life. Even though doing so will kill you.

That's right. All of the lessons Hollywood has taught you about guns are wrong.

Dead wrong.

Read more: 6 Stupid Gun Myths Everyone Believes (Thanks to Movies) | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_19781_6-stupid-gun-myths-everyone-believes-thanks-to-movies.html#ixzz1sGb7zKi6

There is more to that too, not just for guns, take a look here.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TelevisionIsTryingToKillUs

I must say I was rather hesitant to click on a link that had six stupid gun myths. Surely there must be many more than six.
I thought for sure they would have mentioned the classic :
"Toss the gun away when you run out of ammunition."

not sure about a mac10, but I wouldn't want to be in the same room where a cocked SMG gets dropped down the stairs

I was always partial to nuclear hand grenades that seemed to blow the crap out of any type of vehicle including tanks & battle ships... ;D

xo31@711ret said:
I was always partial to nuclear hand grenades that seemed to blow the crap out of any type of vehicle including tanks & battle ships... ;D

ya, I remember the 1st time I saw a hand grenade being thrown (real one, lol).  What a disappointment!!!!!

Mac 10's never run out of ammo, the magazine is actually a Tardis that stores the ammo in another dimension.

Colin P said:
Mac 10's never run out of ammo, the magazine is actually a Tardis that stores the ammo in another dimension.
:goodpost:

exabedtech said:
not sure about a mac10, but I wouldn't want to be in the same room where a cocked SMG gets dropped down the stairs

If you look at the pictures of the MAC-10 in the article it appears the MAC has a grip safety at the rear of the pistol grip. If so, unless something is depressing the grip safety (e.g. a persons hand or if its taped ) the gun shouldn't fire.  The old 9 mm SMGs or a Sten gun are a different story.

exabedtech said:
way back in 83 my Mcpl taught me a trick for room clearing with out grenades "toss SMG with 32 rd mag through window jump way out of way, wait for it to jam or empty. Room cleared. come to think of it that was the same Mcpl that taught me about paper match sticks.

I like the pistol canted to the side one. :) you know....like gangstas!!

The M-10 was built predominantly from steel stampings. A notched cocking handle protrudes from the top of the receiver, and by turning the handle 90° would lock the bolt, and act as an indicator that the weapon is unable to fire. The M-10 has a telescoping bolt, which wraps around the barrel. This allows a more compact weapon, and balances the weight of the weapon over the pistol grip where the magazine is located. The M-10 fires from an open bolt, and in addition, the light weight of the bolt results in a rapid rate of fire. The barrel is threaded to accept a suppressor, which worked by reducing the discharge's sound, without attempting to reduce the velocity of the bullet. At the suggestion of the United States Army, Ingram added a small bracket with a small strap beneath the muzzle to aid in controlling recoil during fully automatic fire.

From wiki
I have fondled then at Shot, a rather crude weapon, I don't think they have a grip safety even in the latest models.

my72jeep said:
way back in 83 my Mcpl taught me a trick for room clearing with out grenades "toss SMG with 32 rd mag through window jump way out of way, wait for it to jam or empty. Room cleared. come to think of it that was the same Mcpl that taught me about paper match sticks.

It's a myth. I tried that with live ammo a few times (in another country and another time/space continuum so of course the statute of limitations is expired) and it didn't work. Sterling takes the fun out of everything!  :mad:

Jim Seggie said:

Want a quick way to jam a pistol... Try this (I did just to see, jams within 1 to 2 round on several pistols I've tried it on. Only one that didnt Jam was a Revolver  ;D)

Colin P said:
The M-10 was built predominantly from steel stampings. A notched cocking handle protrudes from the top of the receiver, and by turning the handle 90° would lock the bolt, and act as an indicator that the weapon is unable to fire. The M-10 has a telescoping bolt, which wraps around the barrel. This allows a more compact weapon, and balances the weight of the weapon over the pistol grip where the magazine is located. The M-10 fires from an open bolt, and in addition, the light weight of the bolt results in a rapid rate of fire. The barrel is threaded to accept a suppressor, which worked by reducing the discharge's sound, without attempting to reduce the velocity of the bullet. At the suggestion of the United States Army, Ingram added a small bracket with a small strap beneath the muzzle to aid in controlling recoil during fully automatic fire.

From wiki
I have fondled then at Shot, a rather crude weapon, I don't think they have a grip safety even in the latest models.

You're right ... what I thought was a grip safety was just part of the pistol grip design. Still call BS on throwing a MAC-10 down a stairways would fire and the chances of actually hitting someone, let-alone hitting some one in the kill zone are pretty slim at best.

Firing the Sten while holding onto the magazine, as portrayed in the video game Call of Duty 2.

600px-COD2.sten.jpg

vs.

600px-StenMkII-COD2.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty_2

Jim Seggie said:

Luckily they have just the product you're looking for right here:

Back