• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

3 Fld Sqn (1 CER)

Just found this site after some good int from Nick. What a hoot!!
Never imagined such a rowdy bunch from 3 Fd would ever live this long to reminence about all that rough and ready stuff, we must of frigthened the daylights out of the locals.

Holy cow, Dave, welcome to the insanity.  Still in the Mysterious East?

Hey Jeff & Kat,
Yes, I'm still in the "Mysterious East" clearing mines and uxo in Mondulkiri Province northeastern Cambodia on the Ho Chi Minh Trail. Life is good, the weather is great, don't have to break the ice on immersion heaters in the morning.

Great days in 3 Fd Sqn! I joined the unit in 1975, 2 Troop, went to Eygpt in 77, AWOL on route and jailed in Trenton, let out to catch the next plane to Lahr and ended up attached to 73 Sigs Sqn in the Sinai desert. When I returned to Canada, 3 Fd was changing to 1 CER, as previously stated it was all black paint and tac sign templates.

You've been at that a while now, still got the initial issue of eyes, hands, and feet, I hope?  I was after 3 Fd days, I was one of that crop of infuriating TQ0s that showed up pre Wain-Con 80, the On-Again-Off-Again-Con.

You were my first Section Commander after my TQ3

Kat, I remember!! What a life living out of the back of a Duce, covered in dust and cam paint. I think a few of my joints are still trying to straigthen out.
Still have all my digits, everyone that has been with me, touch wood!

Dave McCracken!! You were my M/Cpl way back in 1979/80! Don't know if you would remember me, I roomed with Brent Gertz, for a bit, then just down the hall, I used to have the board wargames always set up in my room. Great to know that you are still out there in one piece :)

Darryl Tuominen

Hey Darryl, I do remember you and Brent. Life in Carpiquet was something from another world, no one would ever believe the shenanigans that took place there. Those were geat days in 3 Fd and 1 CER, back and forth to Wainwright and Chilcotin. Did you go to RV81 in Gagetown with the 1 CDN DIV big exercise? The last time I saw Brent was in Gagetown he was on AVLB's at the time. Where are you now?

Dave great to hear you got my email and welcome to Alzheimer's club ;D.

Nick

Dave,remember buddies name that night where you and I drinking Black Tower plonk from the mess, after we navigated our way back to Park Troop Lines and proceded to imbibe in your tent.

When we built the Rifle Range what Range 6 ?,Al Chase worked the FEL,Horsey Mier was our W.O.,Dale Cook was our Section Commander.

Where upon your bunkie started to protest of our libation's ,but alas you came to the rescue with the all mighty Sapper Stick and twated  him one and said "shut the F'k up", where you and I continued to imbibe,but alas your bunkie Allen kept complaining,with each complaint you twatted him harder and our laughter grew louder,

Nick

Good God, the Geriatric club is getting bigger. For a bunch of old farts, we still got good memories of good memories....

SapperSignal said:
Holy Frig Nick, you have one hell of memory. Where is Allen now?

Dave as a Militia Plug after all these years I have my mental record,it just  needs a kick from one or two.
Like Paul Orr saying to me "I hate Militia " I said "I'm here to learn are you willing to teach me?"
After that he gave me loads of time in the field but we never got know each other.

Paul Orr was a Militia Plug's worst night  mare

Nick

Nick, you need never apologise for being a militia plug - gosh sakes - it is the milita that are the civilian/military interface. Frankly speaking I now live in a place where there isn't such a thing - so there never is a connection between the military who do their thing, and the civilian world. It's through the militia that Canadians can say that the military belongs to us. I kind of wish the regular force establishment realized this fact (or have they?). Besides, as you well know, there's one wealth of experience and knowledge in the militia.. and without the milita, where will old sappers go following their reg force careers? I think way back in the 70's there should have been more cooperation between the Reg force and the Reserves - not just call-outs, but joint training and section - even troop augmentation. By the way Nick, how's the weather out there. In Poland, I've had about three months of monsoon weather - hadn't seen that since i left the coast

Dave,

Yes those were the days! Worked hard, played even harder. After the Army I came back east, went to college for instrumentation engineering, found that boring ;) Ended up joining the OPP, presently I am a Staff Sergeant with just under 25 yrs of service, looking forward to the next 5 yrs then retirement, living just outside of Barrie  :) God where has the time gone?

I heard Brent passed away from a heart attack while doing contract work in Bosnia?? I remember some of others, Richards, Elverum(sp?). I still smile every time I see the lazy E tac sign :))

Darryl

JackD said:
Nick, you need never apologise for being a militia plug - gosh sakes - it is the milita that are the civilian/military interface. Frankly speaking I now live in a place where there isn't such a thing - so there never is a connection between the military who do their thing, and the civilian world. It's through the militia that Canadians can say that the military belongs to us. I kind of wish the regular force establishment realized this fact (or have they?). Besides, as you well know, there's one wealth of experience and knowledge in the militia.. and without the milita, where will old sappers go following their reg force careers? I think way back in the 70's there should have been more cooperation between the Reg force and the Reserves - not just call-outs, but joint training and section - even troop augmentation. By the way Nick, how's the weather out there. In Poland, I've had about three months of monsoon weather - hadn't seen that since i left the coast

Hi Jack just got home from living out of my AWOL bag for 13 day's as the ship I'm working on is standing by over in Nanaimo and I don't check in on the site from work so soI hope you unerstand my late response ;)

Jack you took my post the wrong way,hey I'm proud of calling my self a " Militia Plug" because it bring's back memories of what was thought of us in the old day's and what those of us who went on Class B call out with 3Fd and now 1 CER what we encounterd but also how hard we worked to prove that we could do the same job as you guy's and that we wern't a waste of time and energy.

There were 5 of us from 6Fd who of lived off Class A/B back in 96/98  and by our hard work and willingness to learn the flood gates opened for 6Fd,even to the point of being named in message request's " is so and so availible".

As of to day Jack the attitude has changed big time because when Yugo blew up back in 92 the Militia filled in and proved it self and to day the respect is even greater,6Fd has a full section over in Afgh. right now.

So don't get up set. ;)
I are proud to be a Militia Plug  :cdn:  :salute:

Nick

D.Tuominen said:
Dave,

Yes those were the days! Worked hard, played even harder. After the Army I came back east, went to college for instrumentation engineering, found that boring ;) Ended up joining the OPP, presently I am a Staff Sergeant with just under 25 yrs of service, looking forward to the next 5 yrs then retirement, living just outside of Barrie  :) God where has the time gone?

I heard Brent passed away from a heart attack while doing contract work in Bosnia?? I remember some of others, Richards, Elverum(sp?). I still smile every time I see the lazy E tac sign :))

Darryl

Hi Darryl ,
Here's a photo of Brent on our Milita plug T.Q. 5 course,Hugget and Gordon were our instructors this was taken back in 97/98?
Brent was with 8 F.E.R. out of Edmonchuck.

I think yer out by about 15-20 years, old  mate.

Thanks for Brent's picture! Sure brings back good memories. I remember Brent taking me over to the base hospital after tearing my achilles tendon after bridge camp (always loved the term bridge camp, like it was a summer camp or something lol).  Does anyone remember Jim/James Scott? He had a little fiat spider, used to have the engine in his room lol !!

Darryl

Scotty was cool, except when he got the whole troop to go down to the shitters to view his latest fecal masterpiece... ;D

Back