• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

28 Oct 06: Day of Protest Against the CF (& Canadian war crimes against an occupied people)

Interesting way of putting it things.  I take it these sheets of TP are re-usable?

MM

medicineman said:
Interesting way of putting it things.  I take it these sheets of TP are re-usable?

MM

But of course.  After they are discarded into the commode, lesser minons collect the T-Hip-P and simply clean the sheets against each other by way of rapid friction and spiked base ball bats.  Then they are rolled out on a cut and press machine, reconsituted and put back on the roll, which has been coated in broken neon tube glass and fresh lemon wedges. 

[Note:  you do not want to get GAP or I rolling on a hypothetical hell/hippie torment/strange device hijack.  The last one got pretty nutty on the Space Patrol/Water for Sale thread  :p

zipperhead_cop said:
[Note:  you do not want to get GAP or I rolling on a hypothetical hell/hippie torment/strange device hijack.  The last one got pretty nutty on the Space Patrol/Water for Sale thread  :p

Say, whatever happened to that thread anyway?  ;D

Ah so it does exist after all. I mean Lonely Planet would be the ultimate source on this right?

I mean I get all my relevant world socio-economic political information from a bunch of hackey sack playing, Birkenstock wearing, over aged hippies traveling the world finding themselves on mommies VISA card. ::)

Trans_Afghan_Pipeline_Map.jpg

(BTW Mike when the frig am I getting my sarcasm smiley)

If anyone wants to read up on what was proposed 4-5 years ago....that's a gas, as in natural gas, pipeline to Pakistan and then on to India. They can't get the backers to put any money into it because of the Taliban threat in Afghanistan.

I think it's time to start the conspiracy that World War II was fought so the U.S. could build Euro-Disney.

Just spitballin' ---  :D

probum non poenitet said:
I think it's time to start the conspiracy that World War II was fought so the U.S. could build Euro-Disney.

Just spitballin' ---  :D

That would explain this place too

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/index_e.html

There may be a Trans-Afghanistan Pipeline (TAP) but it will not being going South and West to the USA.

This, reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act, is from today’s (16 Oct 06) Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061026.wchinakaza1026/BNStory/Business/ 
China's CITIC bids for Kazakhstan assets of Nations Energy

ELAINE KURTENBACH
Associated Press

SHANGHAI — In China's latest big overseas oil deal, government conglomerate CITIC Group plans to buy Nations Energy Co.'s oil assets in Kazakhstan for $1.91-billion (U.S.), the companies said Thursday.

The purchase, which requires approval by Calgary-based Nations Energy shareholders and the governments of Canada and Kazakhstan, would be China's third-largest acquisition of overseas oil assets.

Privately held Nations Energy's controlling shareholder, Ecolo Investments Ltd., has agreed to back CITIC's offer deal unless the company receives a superior one before the purchase is finalized, the companies said in a statement. Ecolo owns 76 per cent of Nations Energy.

The deal is due to be completed in December, it said.

“We believe this is a fair price for Nations Energy shareholders and optionholders and the board of directors has unanimously agreed to recommend this transaction,” David Wilson, a director for Nations Energy, said in the statement.

The purchase is only of Canada-based Nations Energy's biggest asset, the Karazhanbas field in Kazakhstan, which has proven oil reserves exceeding 340 million barrels, and current production of over 50,000 barrels of oil a day.

The company said it plans to divest itself from smaller assets it has in Azerbaijian, Indonesia and California.

CITIC, which has significant infrastructural investments in Central Asia, is planning to build a medium-sized refinery at Karazhanbas, said Zhang Jijing, a CITIC Group director.

“This is an excellent platform for CITIC's further diversified investment and business co-operation in Kazakhstan,” Mr. Zhang said in the statement.

China has moved aggressively to buy up energy assets overseas to help fuel its booming economy and improve its energy security.

Last year, state-owned China National Petroleum eclipsed Russian rivals to acquire an oil field in Kazakhstan for $4.2-billion and built a pipeline to carry Kazakh crude to China.

In April, CNOOC, the country's offshore oil producer, acquired a $2.3-billion stake in a Nigerian offshore oil field.

China Petrochemical Corp., or Sinopec Group, in late June agreed to buy Anglo-Russian oil producer TNK-BP Holdings oil production unit Udmurtneft for $3.5-billion. But the deal called for it to sell 51 per cent to Russian state oil company OAO Rosneft.

The Karazhanbas field was discovered in the 1970s and was in decline when Nations Energy acquired it in 1997 and drilled new wells, upgraded existing wells and added new production facilities, according to the company's website.

According to the Nations Energy's website, the company's chairman is Indonesian tycoon Hashim Djojohadikusumo, a son of Sumitro Djojohadikusumo, who was an economic adviser to former dictator Suharto, who stepped down in 1998 amid riots and protests after 32 years in power.

Nations Energy had been seeking a buyer for more than a year and reportedly unsuccessfully tried to sell itself to China National Petroleum Corp. and CNOOC Corp.

CITIC Group is one of China's biggest conglomerates. It was set up in Hong Kong in 1979 by former vice-president Rong Yiren as the government's main overseas investment arm.

CITIC Resources, a unit of CITIC Group with shares traded in Hong Kong, recently bought a 51-per-cent stake in an Indonesian field for $97.4-million.

Another mess-up for the knee-jerk anti-American, no blood for oil conspiracy theorists.  Some day they’ll look in the mirror and quote Pogo: “We have met the enemy and he is us.”

i was walking down a hallway at my school when on a table was a stack of flyers. the title read, Support Our Troops....Bring Them Home. i read the flyer and on 28 October in various cities across Canada there are anti-Afghanistan rallies scheduled.
personally as a reservist wanting to do a tour, after school i don't see eye to eye with some of the people. is it that they don't understand? or are they just being ignorant? i know most of the soldiers i have talked to on the topic are all for helping the Afghan people, and yes we are encountering resistance which in some cases are deadly, but as members of the CF, we know that risk. i guess the reason why I'm writing this is because i am fed up with people taking the easy way out. if we were not helping the Afghan people, who would. certainly not the taliban. Canada for so long has been the "peacekeepers" and never had a government to support a mission where we have been needed to fight, until now. if anyone else wants to share their views on this, be it positive or negative feel free. The website for the rallies, as posted on the flyer i saw is http://www.acp-cpa.ca/en/Oct28Events.htm
Regards
Tyrus

Bah, I see a big fizzle for Ottawa.  It's on a Saturday.  Forecast is for cold and rain.

As usual, the problem with these often-well intentioned peace activists is that they offer no realistic alternatives.  This, more than anything, is what has undermined their cause for years (certainly through the Cold War).  They are a "protest industry" that succeeds (to varying degrees) in getting masses of people out to photogenic rallies and marches, but does little else.  The result is complaint withhout anything better to offer.  If, for example, these organizations were to get their way and Canada withdrew from Afghanistan...then what?  Such a crack in the NATO effort could spread, more countries could withdraw...and then?  Indeed, the result would be a "made in Afghanistan" resolution to the situation, free of "international meddling" or "imperialism" or whatever you want to call it.  The Taliban would try to reassert control, resistance to same would arise from other quarters, horrific sectarian violence would ensue, probably igniting into full-fledged civil war, leading to displacement, disease and famine.  Certainly, there would be no happy outcomes in the near-term.

I do agree that development and reconstruction efforts need to receive more emphasis.  It may be necessary to accept more risk and accelerate such efforts even in the absence of complete stability and security (the rationale being that development and reconstruction efforts are, themselves, "force multipliers").  But to simply say, well, this ain't working, time to bail, would be a criminally irresponsible thing to do to the Afghan people.

But if we bail and in general reduce the activities of the CF, it means more money for social programs.

Brad Sallows said:
But if we bail and in general reduce the activities of the CF, it means more money for social programs social problem industry.

Ooppps, what happened there?  ;D

Interesting, a member of the canadian peace alliance was just interviewed on CBC (approx. 06:25 MT). He said that many Canadian soldiers support his organization and will be speaking at his events tomorrow.... I wonder if there is any truth to this. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

:cdn:

Yes.  We will find out tomorrow.  For a serving soldier to speak publically on any political issues, I believe that there are regulations that apply.

logos said:
Interesting, a member of the Canadian peace alliance was just interviewed on CBC (approx. 06:25 MT). He said that many Canadian soldiers support his organization and will be speaking at his events tomorrow.... I wonder if there is any truth to this. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

::

It's Brad they got to him and turned him into a Pod Person  :eek:

Brad Sallows said:
But if we bail and in general reduce the activities of the CF, it means more money for social programs.

Seriously I'll bet its the infamous "Afghan War Resistor", the numpty former Reservist O/Cdt who didn't want to do the obstacle course on his Phase training and Rut'd and was discharged. he's now the darling of the Ndippers and the rest of the Birkenstock brigade.

Danjanou said:
Seriously I'll bet its the infamous "Afghan War Resistor", the numpty former Reservist O/Cdt who didn't want to do the obstacle course on his Phase training and Rut'd and was discharged. he's now the darling of the Ndippers and the rest of the Birkenstock brigade.
I wouldn't bet against that.  I think you are right.

von Garvin said:
I wouldn't bet against that.  I think you are right.

Hey Alte Hauptmann I’m not just a pretty face around here. 8)

For those in the Toronto area, I’ve decided to have my morning Timmies and read the paper in close proximity to tomorrow’s festivities. There are a couple of war memorials on University Ave and while I don’t know where this farce er parade will end up, the Cenotaph is at City Hall and the newly opened Veterans Memorial is at Queens Parks tow possible locations within easy marching distance.

While I doubt that anything will happen as most of these people are passive and respectful, misguided certainly, not usually violent.  However it has been my experience that large gatherings often attract the more rowdy fringe elements (The OCAP demos for example) and there has been concerns raised elsewhere here re the possible desecration of one of our (as in Canadian’s a whole, not just military) memorials.

Anyone of a like mind PM me for the RV location.

Danajounou:
You're bang on about the majority of those in the farce parade: mostly peaceful, if perhaps misguided.  No problems.  BUT, there are those who would sabotage their message by being violent at a march that is supposed to be against violence.  Nice.  It's like the "No Blood for Oil" protesters driving SUVs to the protest and home again...

Back