• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

28 Mar 2005: IED wounds Canadian in Afghanistan

bossi

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
[Note:  It only mentions "a Canadian", and an embassy veh - no other info re: individual]

[ Article ]
CTV.ca News Staff

Updated: Mon. Mar. 28 2005 7:02 AM ET

One Canadian was injured when a roadside explosion hit a vehicle from the Canadian Embassy on Monday, officials said. Three Afghan civilians were also hurt, witnesses said.

The Canadian was not identified. There is also no word yet on the extent of the injuries.

It appears that a charge was placed on the side of the road, and was detonated by remote control as the vehicle drove by, said Warrant Officer Neil Reeve, a member of the British contingent of the NATO force sent to investigate. [1]

The car's Afghan driver and translator were not injured, said Abdul Ghafour, an interior ministry official at the scene.

Over the weekend, four U.S. soldiers died when their vehicle struck a land mine in central Afghanistan.

It was unclear whether the mine was freshly laid or a leftover from the country's long wars. [2]

[1] - Assumption made that it was an Improvised Explosive Device, or IED
[2] - This refers to the landmine in the preceding sentence

another article on CNN, apparently the injured was a Security Guard according to one official...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/03/28/afghan.canadian.ap/index.html

edit: In the pic on CNN the quote mentions Canadians standing guard, is it just me or do they look like Brit soldiers, the first to respond from the NATO force? Regardless, a minor detail and one hopes all is going to be OK for the injured Canadian.

This from CP/CTV News - by way of an update...

CTV.ca News Staff

Updated: Mon. Mar. 28 2005 9:49 AM ET

Ottawa is denying reports that a Canadian was injured in Kabul today, when a car from the Canadian Embassy was hit by a roadside explosion.

A Defence Department spokesman said a Canadian was in the vehicle, but he was not hurt.

Hard to tell in a small photo who exactly the people in the CNN pic are.  They appear to be Canadian (QRF?) - in desert CADPAT - but could well be soldiers from the UK coy.  The attack occurred on Route Violet (surprised?), so the latter could well be the case.

TR

Those helmets look British not Canadian (Although at my age the eyes are questionable) so I would bet on them being a Brit reaction force. The guys in the fishing vests on the other hand? Any guesses?..lol  :dontpanic:

52486742.jpg

r2574661188.jpg

52486721.jpg

52486722.jpg

7907989.jpg

Is it Retro Monday in Kabul? Whats with the vests?

Thanks to Militaryphotos.net

Tried to enhance photo using Photoshop, no luck.  Anyway, I'm pretty sure they're Cdn.  The weapon appears to be a C7, not a SA-80, and the uniforms look to be CADPAT AR (the jpeg is too small to blow up).  Also watched some footage on CTV this morning, definitely Cdns at the scene, although UK troops were there also.

cheers   :cdn:

Tried to enhance photo using Photoshop, no luck.  Anyway, I'm pretty sure they're Cdn.  The weapon appears to be a C7, not a SA-80, and the uniforms look to be CADPAT AR (the jpeg is too small to blow up).  Also watched some footage on CTV this morning, definitely Cdns at the scene, although UK troops were there also.

cheers  Canadian

Christ, you int geeks can't sit still for 10 min without flinching.

Thank He219 over at <a href=http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42589>Milphotos.net</a>

Teddy:  Tried to enhance CNN photo, Britney found other photos.

Britney:  ;D Of course, it is what I do after all!!  Besides just researching everything before I go! ;D

Cheers  :cdn:

Embassy security is hardly a secret (there was a bit of a tempest a while ago because they didn't qualify for a tour medal)...it's provided by MPs.  I'm sure that there's someone reading Army.ca that can expand on their role better than I, as I'm hardly an expert.

We have a ton of high-speed gear, including the modified C-8s seen on the people in the photo.  Again, not unusual in Kabul (hell, I carried a C-8 myself!).

2332Piper said:
I wonder who the civvies with them fancy vests are.  ^-^

Would the 'security guard' who was injured be an MP, maybye a secret squirrel? Possibly even a private guard? What are the protocols for overseas embassy security for Canada? I know that MP's do most of that work, but that gear and those rifles look a little high-speed for some MP's.
Yes, MPs provide security at the Embassy.   Yes, those are Cdn MPs in the civies.   Yes, the kit they have is standard for that Embassy, even if in your professional opinion it is a "little high-speed for some MPs".   I know the guys there and suffice it to say that what they have and what they are doing is totally in line with the Mission they are tasked with, which is all that really needs to be said in this public forum.

There we go - I knew there'd be someone more qualified... :)

As another point, I am not aware of any situation where Canada has hired a civilian security company (Blackwater, DynCorp, Global, etc.) to undertake security duties.  I know this is certainly the case in Kabul and would be shocked if it were the case anywhere else.

TR

Most Embassies have civilian companies working in relation to the physical assets, normally perimeter/public access control type stuff, but you're right, definitely not anyone from "those" companies.

I love the rumour net, and all the speculation that goes on with it...

How about some facts...

The guys in the CADPAT AR are Canadian RCR solders who were sent from CJ to secure the scene and recover the vehicle once the British QRF was done. The two people in civilian cothes that are carrying C8's are the two MP's from the embassy who were the first to respond to the veh's call for help.

The IED attack happened just minutes away from the British Camp and they were the first ISAF troops there. A single Canadian vehicle with a medic pulled in at the same time, just by coincidence, and stopped to give assistance. The British Doctor (on scene medical commander) gave the very slightly wounded DRIVER of the veh to the Cdn medic to check. The wounded Afghan civilians were gone by the time the QRF arrived. The TF commander also happen to on that route, and came on scene about 10 mins after the QRF and Cdn veh arrived. Then the TFK commander with his three veh and the one other Cdn veh with the medic took the occupants of the damaged veh to CJ for exam.The occupant of the veh was an MP, not a squirrel...and the driver was an Afghan employee of the embassy.

Its too bad some of you experts can not even tell who are own soldiers are...

Gee you guys are good. These pictures are only 6 hrs old...

I am not sure why the CF chose to send us the AR CADPAT patterned old LBV's. But they are the right colour camo and they'll do for now.

As for it being a good thing..its only 20 C here and everyone who is wearing them is complaining how hot they are. Personally, I think its crap, as I find the new tac vest with small pack works really well. And as a medic I can't carry anything in the LBV back anyway.

They guys are putting kit in the bottom pockets and their camelbak in the top back pocket of the LBV.

As for the rest, I can personally assure you that they are Canadian and British soldiers pictured.

I might have been there at the time...

Armymedic said:
I love the rumour net, and all the speculation that goes on with it...

Its too bad some of you experts can not even tell who are own soldiers are...

re Canadians vs Brits...

I asked the question pertaining to the small thumbnail pic on CNN due to the look of the helmets in the photo (not the large ones posted by Britney)...looked like CADPAT AR but the lids looked British. Anyways, the pics should definitely have cleared up the mystery for all! (at least for me 8))

...not in any of these pics did I see a squirrel though, perhaps a woodchuck ;D

cheers!

Back