• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

25mm TOC 0901 pictures

George Wallace said:
The original topic is 25mm TOC 0901 pictures.  I think the discussion as to how the pictures are taken IS part of the topic, and one that several (or more) may be interested in.  Especially the complications of getting a good night shoot of Tracers on the Range.  I have spent many a roll of film trying to get that one perfect or close to perfect shot.  Anticipating Tank Fire is difficult to do, as is overcoming the concussion of the blast.  There are many tricks/tips that one can pass on still in this topic.......as well as photos.

Shooting tanks is actually a lot like shooting fireworks, the LAV's are even easier.

Step 1.  Forget about doing it handheld.  This is absolutely essential.  With the shutter speed drag you are going to have to work at a tripod/beanbag/6 foot table is 100% required no if ands or buts.  I can not stress this enough.  Forget about handholding.  Put it out of your mind.  No joke.

Step 2.  Use a cable release or a self timer.  For these night shots I actually used a timer controller cable release, found the right combination of aperture, shutter speed and ISO and set it up to take a 15 second exposure 15 times.  The camera just does the rest. 

Step 3.  A great place to start is f/2.8-ish and 30 second exposures.  A wide aperture will let you catch things like the sabot shoe ripping off as it lets more light through to the sensor. Things like explosions tend to be burning fast and short and if you use something more narrow not enough light will reach it to register.  I manually focus on the APC, with wide angle lens just prefocus on infinity.

Step 4.  Shoot lots.

For a tank that has a lot more platform rock I would set the camera to bulb (as in the shutter stays open as long as the shutter release is held down).  Hold the shutter open with the cable release and then flinch release it when the tank fires.  Late at night it shouldn't overexpose and if it does you can just lower the ISO, which has the side benefit of reducing the noise in the image as well.  If you release right as its firing  you should get a decent view of the tracer ripping out but it should close fast enough the tank won't "ghost" in the frame.  I would also setup as far away as possible and use a longer telephoto lens.  This will flatten out the image and avoid problems with the blast rocking the camera.  Just how I would do it, open to suggestions.

I forgot to mention, if there isn't enough ambient light to illuminate the tank or whatever vehicle is firing, I'd set a second curtain flash at maybe a stop or two under what the meter reads.

thanks for the tips.

When I was shooting tracer rounds way  back in the 1990s I had a lot of trial and error. I did not bring a tripod, I hand held. Hardest thing to do was stand still but it worked.  With film it is harder to see if you have the right settings. Digital does make this easier.  You can check after every  pciture and improve upon it.
If I can find the slides I took at that Gun Camp of the cougars firing at night. I will scan and post.

Snaketnk said:
I hope to see you snapping pics during the upcoming Ex and ranges, your photography is exceptional.

Ranges maybe... No way on the ex.  I have a hard enough time carrying the weight of this beard around, the last thing I need is another 10 pounds of camera gear.  Maybe one day when they stick me somewhere cushy, but a rifle section has no place for a photographer ;)

As an aside I have a 67mm Hoya HMC circ pol that has never been out of the package for sale, I had it shipped to me instead of a 77mm and it would have cost me more to send it back than to just keep.  Yours for a low, low price. 

My camera and glass (D40 w. 18-55 Nikkor, didn't even pull out the 55-150) and my skills certainly don't match up, but I tried to get some shots at the range the other day.

It was really my first time trying to shoot full manual with an SLR and also the first time I've shot in RAW which I'm not sure was worth it later.  I haven't had much time to go through the pictures and I'm afraid to do to much in RAW before saving them as JPEGs as know there's no turnign back (without keeping a crap load of files).

I was really dissapointed at night becasue we had 16 LAVs/Coyotes on the line and I never got a grip on the cmaera enough to get any real good shots.  I couldn't figure out how to focus when everything is dark.  During the day their wasn't anything all that much exciting anyway.

Anyway a few after a quick look that seemed decent.

DSC_2939.jpg

DSC_2964ps.jpg

DSC_2723.jpg

deh said:
Shooting tanks is actually a lot like shooting fireworks, the LAV's are even easier.
<snip>
I forgot to mention, if there isn't enough ambient light to illuminate the tank or whatever vehicle is firing, I'd set a second curtain flash at maybe a stop or two under what the meter reads.

Have fun dealing with the firing effects of 120mm when they start shooting in Canada.      ;D

Regards

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
Have fun dealing with the firing effects of 120mm when they start shooting in Canada.      ;D

Regards

120mm? All i'm seeing is the worlds biggest light bulb!

deh said:
To be honest with the discount Nikon gives all Federal Government employees I am seriously considering the switch.

Can you point us towards any information about the discount?  I've googled it to no avail.

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:

Regards

You have to narrow the aperature, a lot.  I mean as small as it will go before diffraction shows up hardcore and flinch fire it with cable release.  I am already planning!

begbie said:
Can you point us towards any information about the discount?  I've googled it to no avail.

If you are who I think you are, I believe that is already answered... If not shoot me a PM for the price list and contact info.

DirtyDog, those are some awesome shots.  I love the perspective of the LAV profile at dusk!  Were you on 25mm TOC 0902?  I don't suppose you spend a lot of time sitting on the stairs in the I Coy stores?

deh said:
DirtyDog, those are some awesome shots.  I love the perspective of the LAV profile at dusk!  Were you on 25mm TOC 0902?  I don't suppose you spend a lot of time sitting on the stairs in the I Coy stores?
Thanks.

Nope, I'm in Pet.

NIKON government discount can be had, I have contact info and the latest price list.. message me and I'll give you my .gc.ca email.

Back