• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

25 Skills Every Man Should Know - Popular Mechanics article

Greymatters

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
25 Skills Every Man Should Know - Popular Mechanics article

The usual declaration from the copyright act...

A recent article from Popular Mechanics (12Sep07) describes the twenty-five skills that every man should posess (presumibly so as to be qualified as a man?):
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/technology_news/4221635.html

The List: How to...
1. Patch a radiator hose
2. Protect your computer
3. Rescue a boater who has capsized
4. Frame a wall
5. Retouch digital photos
6. Back up a trailer
7. Build a campfire
8. Fix a dead outlet
9. Navigate with a map and compass
10. Use a torque wrench
11. Sharpen a knife
12. Perform CPR
13. Fillet a fish
14. Maneuver a car out of a skid
15. Get a car unstuck
16. Back up data
17. Paint a room
18. Mix concrete
19. Clean a bolt-action rifle
20. Change oil and filter
21. Hook up an HDTV
22. Bleed brakes
23. Paddle a canoe
24. Fix a bike flat
25. Extend your wireless network

Now take the poll! How many of these skills do you know?  Are you qualified to be a man? (at least according to PM magazine anyway...)

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/upgrade/4223337.html

As long as I have a phone and my adress book, I'll be able to do 20 of those  :).

I don't have much friends that are are mechanilly knowledgable  :(....

You seem to have neglected to include the poll.  Luckily for you, making a forum poll is not one of the 25 skills  ;D

The polls in the link, luckily for you having to read the fine print isn't one of the skills. Or is it....

Hey, I'm 18 and know about 20 of those, not bad in my mind. Unfortunately vehicles are my downfall at the moment, but I'm learning. Give me a break I've only been driving a few months.

Hmmmmm,

Nothing hard like "mother in law management".

Can't be a real test. ;D

Imbeault said:
The polls in the link, luckily for you having to read the fine print isn't one of the skills. Or is it....

Hmm, whoops!

But if you were asking us, wouldn't you put the survey in the thread so that you could see the forum-specific results?

How about be able to read an instruction manual?  That should give you coverage on most of them.  >:D :)

Gee come to think of it that reminds me of the latest Future Shop commercial with "Manuel."  ;D

I must be one of the elite manliest men on the planet as I can do all 25! ;D

Vern got 19. She is more manly than some men. ;D ;)

I'm never more than 3 feet away from a stash of duct tape..... that means I can do all of them.

I got 16.  ;D  And the funny thing is, I learned most of those skills in the military.  Oh no......the army's turning me into a guy!!!  :crybaby:

I'm  standing at 24 1/2.  My birthday is coming up so I'm hoping to master the HDTV thing soon! (hint to the missus who sometimes lurks here)

That's a pretty wimpy list really.

They need things like:

-steer a bull
-wheelie a motorcycle
-operate heavy equipment
-stitch one's self
-change a u-joint on the side of the trail
-skin and gut a deer

etc....

It suprises me how few "man" skills a lot of the younger guys around here have.  All in time I guess.......

Hmm, let's see, I can do 18 of them. For the vehicle parts, I'm not that good, seeing that I live in a town with no cars  :blotto:

DirtyDog said:
That's a pretty wimpy list really.

They need things like:

-steer a bull
-wheelie a motorcycle
-operate heavy equipment
-stitch one's self
-change a u-joint on the side of the trail
-skin and gut a deer

etc....

It suprises me how few "man" skills a lot of the younger guys around here have.  All in time I guess.......

You mean the 'How to be a real man list' ?  I think that was referred to in 'The Manly Handbook' that came out about 20 years ago, but times have changed - perhaps we need a new '25 Things that a real man should know'...  and it is excellent to have the opinion of female members on this.  What do they think a man should know to be a real man?

Just to be fair, we can do a list of '25 things a woman should know to be a real woman' afterwards...

2 Cdo said:
I must be one of the elite manliest men on the planet as I can do all 25! ;D

Vern got 19. She is more manly than some men. ;D ;)

And, I can toss some pretty awesome hooks and jabs.  ;)

Back