• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2024 Rail Strike (or not?)

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Given the potential for pretty significant disruption if the railways go on strike, starting a thread here. Also including info on Team Red Ottawa not getting involved as of this post. Reminder: we're in the Political Zone, so the political discussion rules apply (including no memes).

Milnet.ca Staff

Interesting that Canada (aka. Team Red), doesn’t even want to convene, let alone touch this. Maybe it’s because Mr. Orangey-BMW-Rolex-BrooksBrothers said he’ll oppose JT’s team if they don’t let the teamsters get what they want… 🤔

A rail outage will impose costs on many Canadians, some to the point of hardship and a few to the point of ruin. These costs will be disproportionate to whatever incremental gains might be enjoyed by workers as the result of successful (for them) job action. The NDP basically sh!ts out its credibility as "compassionate" when it takes inconsistent positions on protecting peoples' economic well-being, especially when one party to a dispute is so transparently a political ally (eg. unions).

A rail outage will impose costs on many Canadians, some to the point of hardship and a few to the point of ruin. These costs will be disproportionate to whatever incremental gains might be enjoyed by workers as the result of successful (for them) job action. The NDP basically sh!ts out its credibility as "compassionate" when it takes inconsistent positions on protecting peoples' economic well-being, especially when one party to a dispute is so transparently a political ally (eg. unions).
Especially when their millionaire leader, with his watches and cars, hold those same people hostage so he can collect his pension.

Interesting that Canada (aka. Team Red), doesn’t even want to convene, let alone touch this. Maybe it’s because Mr. Orangey-BMW-Rolex-BrooksBrothers said he’ll oppose JT’s team if they don’t let the teamsters get what they want… 🤔

My understanding is that the Teamsters got what they want, they just refuse to grant any of the employers demand in return.

It could actually improve VIA’s in-time
Performance if the CN freight trains are idled. 😉
I don't fully understand all the players involved but media is saying that VIA (and GO as well as Montreal and Vancouver area heavy rail) that run on CP trackage will be affected, so possibly the Teamsters represent certain CP sectors like dispatchers but not those at CN. Dunno.

My brother the famer is starting harvest within the next week. There is not enough storage on the farm or at the terminals. That grain has to move ASAP.
Add to that, a bridge on CN's only line to the Port of Thunder Bay collapsed last week.

Hmmm…I always recall being told that VIA was on CN lines, but maybe the reality is ‘it depends…’ 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyone heard from the greatest leader yet on this subject or is in still in the air going to his next donut eating festival?

Back