• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

I haven’t seen a lot from Poilievre about how he will sort things out from our current state.
If a new government can't, and the old government can't, then it's unlikely any worrying trends will improve. When that has happened for long enough, people will elect someone who can, or will at least try. There will be some kind of change, and there will be some kind of price to pay for it. It amuses me how many people act as if there's some magical force preventing things in Canada from getting to the point we sometimes see in other countries.

WRT plans and intentions...

I would be happy if the next guy just stopped trying for a while. Take the feet off the gas and the brake and stop twisting the wheel and let the beast coast for a while until we can figure out what equilibrium looks like.

I would be happy if the next guy just stopped trying for a while. Take the feet off the gas and the brake and stop twisting the wheel and let the beast coast for a while until we can figure out what equilibrium looks like.
Agreed. I think the failure of the Liberals has been their failure in the last step of Mission Analysis: "Has the situation changed? Yes? Fuck.... Step One...."

So long as the next government actually does a proper read of the situation before acting... I'll be somewhat content.

First thing: Kill that carbon tax.

Can I just quickly say it pisses me off that the Bloc keeps voting in favour of it when it doesn't even affect Quebec?

It's like we're just spiting the other provinces for fun.

Quebec doesn’t belong in the confederation.

Can I just quickly say it pisses me off that the Bloc keeps voting in favour of it when it doesn't even affect Quebec?

It's like we're just spiting the other provinces for fun.

That's what the Federal Bloc party does. It stalls our government. But it's within the rules of game sadly.

No. Do nothing means do nothing. Just get a read on the situation. And I really hate paying over a hundred bucks to fill up my Jeep.
This. I hate the concept of Carbon Taxing as I think the whole thing is preposterous.

But like everything else, what comes next? Where do you make up that lost revenue? Where do you cut to offset? What is the alternate COA? Is that COA more or less desireable than the current tax?

Action for the sake of appearing to take action is what got us in this mess in the first place.

Do you know how absolutely, devastatingly boring it would be if we all lived in unified peace and harmony? C'mon Man! Pour yourself four fingers of scotch, sit in your comfy chair and think about what you wrote. :)

---- or ----

We really need that sarcasm emoji. Or maybe you mods can have a look at the never used ones and designate it so. ;)

This. I hate the concept of Carbon Taxing as I think the whole thing is preposterous.

But like everything else, what comes next? Where do you make up that lost revenue? Where do you cut to offset? What is the alternate COA? Is that COA more or less desireable than the current tax?

Action for the sake of appearing to take action is what got us in this mess in the first place.
If PP gets in, he HAS to kill the carbon tax. He is running on it. If he didn't, it would be the first big strike against his integrity. And Conservatives for some reason get no forgiveness (unlike the Liberals)

HM Loyal Opposition opposes. Everything the governing party ('the Government') does is wrong.

The Pattern: 'We will reveal our platform - what we will do - after the writ drops'.

The Reality Once Elected: 'It's worse than we thought; we can't do any of what we said'.

She sure set the bar high.
PP has highlighted a few things he will do. If he does it, its a step in the right direction.

Hey wait, what Prime Minister was that that dropped the GST down? Wasn't it Harper?

The problem with the confederation is the federation.

Comparison chart​

Confederation versus Federation comparison chart

Edit this comparison chartConfederationFederation
SovereigntyHeld by the member states. In a Confederation, the federal government is accountable to the member states, who are the ultimate authority.Held by the federal government. In a Federation, the federal government will hold the ultimate authority and the member states will be subordinate to it.
Central AuthorityThe central authority of a confederation is usually a weak body appointed by the member states.The central authority of a federation is a federal government which governs the member states.
Powers of the Central AuthorityUsually will focus on joint foreign policy and defense matters, but rarely will have the power to do much more than that.Determined by the constitution of the federation, but will generally have rights to exercise control over the diplomatic, military, economic, and legal spheres of the member states.
Examples (According to Wikipedia)Toltec Empire, League of Mayapan, Crown of Aragon, Confederation of Madya-as, Old Swiss Confederacy, New England Confederation, Aro Confederacy, United States of America (1781-1789), Confederation of the Rhine and many moreCanada, United States of America, Mexico, Venezuela, Brazil, Argentina, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Estonia, Russia, Iraq, United Arab Emirates, Pakistan, India, Nepal, Malaysia, Australia, Sudan, and many more

There was a choice available, in 1864, between a centrally controlled, unitary federation and a confederation of independent governments voluntarily co-operating for mutual benefit. It was a fight then and it still is a fight.

Not everybody agrees where Canada and the Provinces sit on the sliding scale. The fight is currently being played out in Quebec, Saskatchewan, and Alberta. BC also goes its own way from time to time. The further east you go the more dependent the governments are on the central government.

Yet they at least still play by the rules. (Mostly).

Strange that anti Québec types are more than happy to cheer on Alberta’s sovereignty aspirations or Scott Moe’s open declaration that he will break the law.

Weird.

Back