• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

Would be nice to know who voted and why. I am sure some had different reasons for tossing him (too left, too right, too flip-floppy, lost the election, bad hair…🤷‍♂️).

Would be nice to know who voted and why. I am sure some had different reasons for tossing him (too left, too right, too flip-floppy, lost the election, bad hair…🤷‍♂️).
Probably go check the Conversion therapy vote before it was a whipped vote and you will have your answer.

Poilievre has a pretty punchable kind of face, and has made a reputation as an attack dog who pumps up the rhetoric and 'us vs them' type politics. May be popular with a portion of the base but would be an awful leader if the intention is to actually win.

A Paul Martin type would probably be the best thing they could do, but someone fiscally responsible with a steady hand to guide the economy doesn't seem to be in the cards at all.
I agree a Paul Martin Senior type would be great. I place him as one of the last great honest politicians the grits ever had.

As for Poilievre, I think he scares the beejeezus out of trudeau. If trudeau ever spoke the truth or answered a question, he wouldn't be able to steer clear of Pierre's challenges. It would be worth watching an election debate between them when trudeau is required to answer a real question honestly, outside the protection of Parliament.

Last edited:
You know who is smiling today?

Tom Mulcair.

Tom Mulcair, him of the holder of the most recent most humiliating exit as a party leader for a very long time just had Erin O'Toole hold his beer.

As for Poilievre, I think he scares the beejeezus out of trudeau. If trudeau ever spoke the truth or answered a question, he wouldn't be able to steer clear of Pierre's challenges. It would be worth watching an election debate between them when trudeau is required to answer a real question honestly, outside the protection of Parliament.
Spécialement de répondre aux questions de Poilièvre en sa langue maternelle (ou en anglais, pas de quoi), car il sait que Poilièvre craquerait ses couilles en QP…

Unity isn't created and maintained by extremists; the centrists have to do it.

Political splits happen when the centre/establishment keeps finding reasons to exclude everything that isn't exactly what they want. Best example right now is in the US: the Never-Trump (ex-)neo-cons are pretty much centrist relative to both Democrats and Republicans, but their attempt to take back the Republican party can be described as "nothing for you; we'd rather burn the party to the ground if we can't own it".

The people who want a PC-type conservative party are the ones who have to figure out where to make accommodations, and make them. The answer cannot be "No" to everything.

I misread the title and thought it said Circus Revolt.....
Did you really though...?

shaking head smh GIF by ScooterMagruder

The people who want a PC-type conservative party are the ones who have to figure out where to make accommodations, and make them. The answer cannot be "No" to everything.
Doesn’t that assume then the issue was with the small-Cs? If that’s truly the case, then is there truly a solution other than they all accept a significantly strengthened socially-conservative position of the party? (And by implication, that the CPC is potentially no longer the party for them)

Probably go check the Conversion therapy vote before it was a whipped vote and you will have your answer.
... as well as those who were out of country for the vote ...

Spécialement de répondre aux questions de Poilièvre en sa langue maternelle (ou en anglais, pas de quoi), car il sait que Poilièvre craquerait ses couilles en QP…
Yeah, that really doesn't make sense to me. I never took FSL other than a few years in public school.🙂

"Especially to answer Poilièvre's questions in his mother tongue (or in English, not what), because he knows that Poilièvre would crack his balls in QP... "
👍

Thank you DuckDuckGo

Unity isn't created and maintained by extremists; the centrists have to do it.

Political splits happen when the centre/establishment keeps finding reasons to exclude everything that isn't exactly what they want. Best example right now is in the US: the Never-Trump (ex-)neo-cons are pretty much centrist relative to both Democrats and Republicans, but their attempt to take back the Republican party can be described as "nothing for you; we'd rather burn the party to the ground if we can't own it".

The problem is that the concessions the Socons want are ones that the centrists aren't prepared to concede on. The common ground that they have is becoming less and less important than the differences are.

Were heading back to the wasteland of two separate conservative minority parties. And I doubt if the right wing of the LPC wants to unite with the left wing of the CPC.

🍻

Just brought together both CPC threads into one - please carry on ...

Milnet.ca Staff

The last two effective leaders of federal conservatives in Canada were Harper and Mulroney. Which was more "reform" and which was more "PC"? And how did each rate for character?

If PC-style conservatives want a unified party, they have to make the sale. Which means they have to try to make the sale. Which means more than a token gesture. If all they want to do is cite excuses to walk away, they are worthless.

The problem is that the concessions the Socons want are ones that the centrists aren't prepared to concede on.

The concession is "free votes on private members' bills", in exchange for "no legislation overturning X, Y, and Z". Should be two fairly obvious candidates for X and Y. Neither side gets exactly what it wants.

Something is feasible. I doubt Harper was the last man with the last opportunity to build a party of federal conservatives in Canada.

Looking forward to voting for the Bloc as the only viable opposition to the Liberal Party in the next election... oh, wait, I can't ;)

Opinion: Are Conservatives becoming Canada's Trump Republicans?​

Are we seeing the end of the federal Conservative party as a legitimate opposition? Is it becoming a sad echo of the American Republican party, a.k.a., the Donald Trump party?

The post-mortem report on the Conservative party’s performance in the 2021 election criticized it — and leader Erin O’Toole in particular — for too many flip-flops during the election. The party, it is advised, must make clear what it stands for.

Aye, but there’s the rub! What too many of its party’s supporters stand for is not palatable to the vast majority of Canadians. Sure, balanced budgets get a salute, as does support for the military. But climate change denialism, social conservatism, and creeping privatization of health care do not attract young, urban, and more socially liberal voters, and scare off many others. Even less appealing is pandering to those for whom freedom means ignoring one’s responsibilities or the rights of others.

Canadian conservatives can only wish they were as successful as Republicans. The first Canadian conservative leader to succeed is going to be the one who figures out that the things progressives want conservatives to stand for are not the only things that conservatives can stand for.

The concession is "free votes on private members' bills", in exchange for "no legislation overturning X, Y, and Z". Should be two fairly obvious candidates for X and Y. Neither side gets exactly what it wants.
Like the abortion restrictions members’ bills, etc. that well-intentioned or not, are like handing ammunition to the LPC to scare Canadians away from the CPC? 🤔

Canadian conservatives can only wish they were as successful as Republicans. The first Canadian conservative leader to succeed is going to be the one who figures out that the things progressives want conservatives to stand for are not the only things that conservatives can stand for.
If success is limited to winning the leadership, sure.

But if winning the election is the end goal and losing gets a leader turfed then no, this isn't the way forward.

The first conservative leader to succeed is going to be the one who figures out how to win the leadership while somehow being electable.

O'Toole tried and we just saw what happened.

Back