• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2006 Parliamentary Debate on AFG Mission

RogueMedic

Inactive
Reaction score
As a former Canadian soldier I am appalled by the suggestion to hold an open debate on whether we should be in Afghanistan or not.  I applaud the Prime Minister for holding steady and not allowing men like Jack Layton to tarnish the honor of the sacrifices made by our fallen soldiers and by the soldiers on the ground currently standing up for what’s right.  It is because of men like Jack Layton that our military has had to struggle to regroup itself after being starved and pillaged by the previous governments.  I know first hand what challenges the men and women in uniform face being on tour.  The last thing that we as Canadians should be doing is stomping all over their dedication and sacrifice because of some casualties.  What many politicians fail to realize is that we are locked into a struggle with an enemy that is truly dedicated to their cause and shoots to kill.  There will be casualties and we will mourn as a country.  We cannot however abandon the Afghanistan population when they need us most.  This does not represent the values that we as Canadians hold dear and it surely doesn’t represent the core values of the Canadian Forces.  Has any one of these politicians thought about the consequences of showing weakness?  It will only encourage further and stronger attacks against our forces.  In World War II when our Canadian Forces were faced with stiff opposition on the battlefront against the Axis forces, did we hold a parliamentary debate on whether to be in the war or not?  If it was not right then, what makes it right now?  Our Canadian Forces have distinguished themselves in the international community and I know that our forces will make Canada and the international community proud when they distinguish themselves once again.

Don’t dishonor our soldiers by suggesting retreat.  We have the best trained soldiers in the world and they are a true force to be reckoned with.  Let them finish the mission.  Let the soldiers not the politicians tell Canada when its time to come home.

I agree. The more we seem wavering, the greater the pressure on the troops. Believe it or not, but the insurgents are able to access the news also. Think about the message we are sending them also.

Yes. But if a debate could also demonstrate Canadian resolve and put an end to the question once and for all.  As it stands currently, this issue will continue to pop up so long as we have troops in Afghanistan. 

In my opinion, a debate will render our presence in Afghanistan apolitical.  Until a debate, one party or another will try and score points with the electorate on the backs of our colleagues who are busting their asses. 

I would rather get it over and done with and have a strong showing of support.

GAP said:
I agree. The more we seem wavering, the greater the pressure on the troops. Believe it or not, but the insurgents are able to access the news also. Think about the message we are sending them also.

Right, good point.......something we should all think about the next time another Canadian soldier is killed, and another, and another.....
What message do you think they are sending us ?  ::)

something we should all think about the next time another Canadian soldier is killed, and another, and another.....
What message do you think they are sending us

So we should just leave...they're not playing fair??? :crybaby:
Take a look at regimes and organizations that utilize terror and insurgency to get their way. Take a look at Afghanistan. Do you really think that over the last 30 years any of the warring factions sat down and "just talked it out". To them "Might makes Right". If you waver in your commitment, then you are perceived as being weak and will be treated as such. It might take awhile, but they've got the the time...it worked before.  ;D

These opposition members dont care about the Canadian Soilder they just care about getting into power. Its all a game. Like when the Liberals attempted to unifie the RCAF, RCN and The CA it had nothing to do with efficenecy or better fightin it was all about thinking they could appease thoose Republicans in Quebec who dont care about the military anyways by removing the Royal.And it wasnt about cost savings or effiecency it was about political agendas, as Cheritcan said he wants us to be like "boy scounts" And the NDP isnt known for support for the Military and Neither is the Bloc Quebecois, both want power in some way and they'll do anything to get it...even take attempt to take away what out 11 boys died for. If it was my way the Bloc would be ilegal anyways. Nothing but traitors.

And by Republicians in Qubec I dont refer to French Canadians as a large part of our armed forces is French....Sometimes it seems like most. But Im refering to the group of french canadians that make a bad reputation for the beautiful province of Qubec...Sepratists, they work so hard to appease these B8st*rds that they stomp on our culture.

I think it is important to note (albeit this point is not germane to this thread) that the Taliban or other Afghani insurgent groups genuinely believe that they are giant slayers and were responsible for the demise of the Soviet Union.  It is a well developed cultural myth that they alone brought the Soviet Union to its knees.  I have no doubt that the current Taliban and other insurgents believe that they can do the same with coalition forces. 

The Canadian public NEEDS to understand that if we cut and run at this point in time we will simply embolden the Taliban such that they will feel that all Western powers will retreat as soon as they push back a bit.  Canadians need to understand that this is the time for us to go in harder than before.  Canada needs to understand that the security of this nation depends on the Taliban permanently losing any prospects of power. 

If we don't do it now, we will just be back there in 5 years.

I think the electorate is smart enough to get it.  They just need to hear it.

GAP said:
So we should just leave...they're not playing fair??? :crybaby:
Take a look at regimes and organizations that utilize terror and insurgency to get their way. Take a look at Afghanistan. Do you really think that over the last 30 years any of the warring factions sat down and "just talked it out". To them "Might makes Right". If you waver in your commitment, then you are perceived as being weak and will be treated as such. It might take awhile, but they've got the the time...it worked before.  ;D

I've taken a real good look at Afghanistan....frankly, there's not much there that I truly believe needs/wants to be saved. By us or any other nation for that matter. Our western world for some odd reason, thinks that we have all the answers. Answers, that generations upon generations before couldn't get them to adapt to. What makes you think that they will listen to us now ?

RogueMedic said:
As a former Canadian soldier I am appalled by the suggestion to hold an open debate on whether we should be in Afghanistan or not.

Open debate, in an elected parliament is one of the things men and women fight for. At least that's what we've been taught in school.

RogueMedic said:
The last thing that we as Canadians should be doing is stomping all over their dedication and sacrifice because of some casualties.

The only stomping most Canadians are doing is in the pursuit of information. Most of us know nothing about Afghanistan today, 30 years ago, let alone the previous 2000 years. Canadians like to keep the words of their politicians and the actions of their military separate. We can still support the people in the trenches and sand boxes *without* loving our government. This is the first time in my generation that Canada has openly been involved in such a potentially painful and prolonged conflict.

RogueMedic said:
Our Canadian Forces have distinguished themselves in the international community and I know that our forces will make Canada and the international community proud when they distinguish themselves once again.

That opinion, from the "average Canadians" I have spoken with is true. Over all we love and respect our squaddies. :salute: All the more reason to get info from all political and military sides. We can handle coffins coming home if we know and understand the reasons it is happening. We won't like it, but we can handle it.

RogueMedic said:
Don’t dishonor our soldiers by suggesting retreat.  We have the best trained soldiers in the world and they are a true force to be reckoned with.  Let them finish the mission.  Let the soldiers not the politicians tell Canada when its time to come home.

It's not about suggesting retreat. It's about being told openly and honestly what we can stand to lose, what the exit strategies are, and what ballpark timeframe they might occur.

Now, please forgive if I am indeed "out of my lane" but I thought the way Canada is structured, that it is indeed the politicians(PM) who tells the CF when to come home. If I'm wrong on that let me know.

Alright, I am going to make this abundantly clear cause it appears that some people here as well as most Canadians and some policticians, are ignorant of the fact the THERE WAS ALREADY A DEBATE!!!!! As was pointed out in a Toronto Sun editorial a week or so ago, THERE WAS A DEBATE held on Tuesday Nov 15th, 2005, from approximately 1900-2300hrs about the CF role in Astan, particularly the move to Kandahar, and the dangers we would face, as well as this being more of a combat role.  Here is the link to the particular issue of Hansard where this was recorded.  You can all go and read the debate yourselves.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/38/1/parlbus/chambus/house/debates/150_2005-11-15/HAN150-E.htm#OOB-1471139

Just so we are crystal clear, the same liberals (and some NDP) who are now calling for a debate, already had one, where THEY described the mission and what it would entail.  All this talk now is political pandering, because they were turfed, and they are loath to admit they sent us to Astan and Kandahar in the first place.

Here is the Debate (well the opening bits anyways)

http://www.parl.gc.ca/38/1/parlbus/chambus/house/debates/150_2005-11-15/HAN150-E.htm#OOB-1471139

Canada's military mission in Afghanistan    (House in committee of the whole on Government Business No. 21, Mr. Chuck Strahl in the chair)

Hon. Tony Valeri (Leader of the Government in the House of Commons, Lib.) moved:

That this Committee take note of Canada's military mission in Afghanistan.

Hon. Pierre Pettigrew (Minister of Foreign Affairs, Lib.): Mr. Chair, I am very pleased that my colleague, the Minister of Defence, proposed this evening's debate here in this House. I am grateful to him for allowing me to speak so soon even though he was the one who proposed this very important debate.

I am addressing the House today to speak about the remarkable work Canada has accomplished in Afghanistan.

Our country plays a leading role in the international action to help Afghanistan become a stable, democratic, self-sufficient state that respects human rights and that will never harbour terrorists again. Achieving this objective is essential to maintaining peace and international security, and to bringing about a secure and prosperous future for the people of Afghanistan. Afghanistan, which is recovering after more than 20 years of conflict and drought, remains one of the poorest countries in the world, a major source of narcotics and therefore a fragile state. Canada provides an essential contribution to this country.

In order to optimize our intervention in Afghanistan, we must adopt a strategic approach based on the unparalleled added value Canada can offer. Our commitment in Afghanistan is a concrete manifestation of the international policy statement that calls for a government-wide approach based on pursuing our strategic interests abroad.

Canada's commitment in Afghanistan is based on specialized knowledge and the contributions of various federal departments and agencies, such as Foreign Affairs, National Defence, CIDA and the RCMP, or what we call the three ds, meaning diplomacy, defence and development assistance, in a coordinated and integrated manner.

With regard to our diplomatic commitment, which I will focus on—my colleagues from National Defence and Development will follow—Canada opened an embassy in Kabul in September 2003.

This embassy provides the diplomatic presence needed to ensure effective support for Canadian defence and development efforts in close collaboration with our Afghan partners and the international community. Canadian diplomats elsewhere are also working to support the work being done in Afghanistan, particularly at NATO and the United Nations, and through the G8.

Thanks to recent provincial and parliamentary elections, Afghanistan has fulfilled the initial requirements of its democratic transition as set out by the Afghans and the international community, when they met in Bonn in 2001. Other achievements. within the framework of the Bonn process, include the adoption of a constitution and presidential elections.

Canada has been a key supporter of the transition to democracy in Afghanistan. The resources deployed at all levels of government in support of the recent elections there are clear evidence of this. The contribution comprised financial support, the sending of election observers, and assistance to the Afghans in maintaining security throughout the electoral process from the beginning right through to election day.

By declaring themselves as candidates, a decision liable to put them in danger, by going to the polls despite the risk to their safety, by speaking out in favour of reform, the Afghans have shown their support for change.

Democracy has now taken root in Afghanistan and is starting to bear fruit, particularly in establishing the people's confidence and pride in their own country.

Canada's efforts have helped Afghanistan achieve real results in other areas as well, in particular in reforming the security sector. The demilitarization agenda is critical to stability in Afghanistan. The successful completion of the first two phases of the disarmament, demobilization and reintegration program in Afghanistan this past July saw some 63,000 former combatants lay down their arms.

Canada has played an important role in this process, fostering political support through diplomatic channels, the second largest donor, disbursing close to $21 million in support of the program and providing a secure environment for former combatants to disarm.

We remain committed to the final phase of the process, reintegration, and we will continue to work with the United Nations and our international partners to ensure its successful completion.

Canada was instrumental in the establishment of a highly successful heavy weapons cantonment process in Afghanistan, the same weapons that were used to destroy much of the country. Our top military officials, working closely with the Canadian embassy in Kabul, helped to create the momentum and will for a program that many thought was impossible. Thanks to Canadian efforts, over 10,000 tanks, heavy artillery and other weapons are now safely secured.

Afghanistan is one of the most mine affected countries in the world, with over 800 victims per year. In 2003, Afghanistan acceded to the Ottawa Convention on Landmines. Canada is a lead donor in mine action, having contributed approximately $47 million to mine action assistance in Afghanistan since 1989. These funds have helped to clear 10 million to 15 million mines in Afghanistan.

There is no question that important progress has been made. Afghanistan is on the road to recovery. The challenge now is to ensure momentum continues. We will work with Afghanistan and our international partners to consolidate and build on the achievements of the last four years.

An example of this is the recent deployment of Canada's provincial reconstruction team to Kandahar. In order to respond to the multifaceted and complex nature of reinforcing the authority and building the capacity of the Afghan government in Kandahar, the provincial reconstruction team brings together Canadian Forces personnel, civilian police, diplomats and aid workers in an innovative and integrated Canadian effort of the three Ds of diplomacy, defence and development.

With the provincial reconstruction team and the February 2006 deployment of a 1,500 strong task force and brigade headquarters, Canada has positioned itself to play a leadership role in southern Afghanistan and provide an enabling environment for Afghanistan's institutional and economic development.

In order to effectively approach outstanding challenges, the first step is to recognize and empower Afghan leadership. This requires a commitment to take the necessary steps to ensure that Afghan authorities have the capacity to carry out their required functions. We support an intensified focus on institution building and emphasize the need to ensure that international community efforts result in systemic changes. It is only by building lasting capacity that we can ensure that our investment lasts long beyond our engagement.

Canada has emphasized the need to deal with the recalcitrant commanders who continue to challenge the authority of the central government by adhering to illicit pursuits. These non-compliant power brokers must be made aware that there are consequences to their actions. Their continued involvement with narcotics, illegal armed groups and human rights violations must be addressed. Without a commitment to take decisive action against those who most overtly defy the rule of law, they will continue to subvert our best efforts and contribute to instability.

We have continued to stress the necessity of a global view if past injustices in Afghanistan are to be put behind us. Any government needs the trust of all its citizens. The inclusion of those responsible for serious offences in the past against either Afghan law or international law would cast doubt on the government's credibility. Although the process of addressing past wrongs will no doubt be fraught with emotion, as is the case with any post-conflict situation, this political sensitivity can be mitigated by a process that is transparent, objective and founded in law.

Canada supports the work being done at this time by the Afghan authorities, in close collaboration with the Afghan human rights commission, with a view to drafting a national transitional justice strategy.

I must say how very pleased I am to take part in this evening's very important debate on Canada's role in Afghanistan.

Mr. Rick Casson (Lethbridge, CPC): Mr. Chair, I would like to thank the minister for being here tonight to lead off this debate and hopefully we will be hearing from the Minister of National Defence later on, which I am sure we will.

I believe the operation in Afghanistan will be the most intense operation in which this country has been involved and probably the most dangerous since Korea. This is not a peacekeeping mission. The general in charge has indicated that we will be taking the fight to the Taliban, that we are there to perform operations and that the possibility of Canadians being hurt is great.

This is not at all a peacekeeping mission. The mission is to clean up the most dangerous part of that country. Some of the terms that have been used are “less benign” and “unstable”. The fact is that it is just damn dangerous and this is where our troops are going. We need to have the confidence as a nation and certainly as the official opposition that everything has been done to provide these troops with the absolute best equipment and training and to ensure they have the facilities on the ground to protect them around the base perimeter.

I want to hear from the minister, and perhaps we can ask the defence minister later as well, that indeed has happened. We hear that the forces are having trouble finding enough trained troops, the numbers that are required, to send over there and that they are having trouble finding the equipment to properly equip these people to ensure their safety.

I would like the minister to state that this indeed has happened and that our troops are equipped, trained and in the best possible situation in this most dangerous part of the world.

Hon. Pierre Pettigrew: Mr. Chair, that is a very important question and I appreciate it. I am sure my colleague, the Minister of National Defence, when he addresses the House a little later, will certainly provide further information.

As a government, it is very clear that we would not have embarked on such an important mission if we were putting the lives of our Canadian citizens at risk in a way that is not absolutely necessary. Yes, of course, lives are at risk in the military but obviously we want to ensure we put all the chances on our side. This is something the Minister of National Defence has looked into personally when we were going through the decision making process in the government.

It was a very important priority for the Minister of National Defence and the government in general to ensure that we were sending our Canadian soldiers with the appropriate training and equipment to do the best possible job. I do not think General Hillier would have accepted any such risk either if he had not been confident that we were taking the appropriate actions before sending our Canadian soldiers there.

Mr. Claude Bachand (Saint-Jean, BQ): Mr. Chair, I would like the minister to provide some further information about his concept of the PRT, the provincial reconstruction team. In French we call it the EPR. This seems to be quite a new type of intervention for us to be involved in. There will be 19 of these teams in Afghanistan, including the Canadian one in Kandahar. However, we have not found a definition for the PRT. There are several models including the American and British ones.

Can the minister give us a sense of how he envisions this? What will the Canadian PRT contingent in Kandahar consist of? Can he define the PRT's mission and its intervention method in the field?

Hon. Pierre Pettigrew: Mr. Chair, the PRT concept was originally based more on the American model. Since this was our first experience, the Provincial Reconstruction Team was later improved and reinforced. Some new elements were introduced, particularly when the Europeans became involved in this type of exercise.

I can say that the Provincial Reconstruction Team reflects precisely what we have in our international policy statement. We want defence, diplomacy and development to work in a more coordinated and integrated way. It is clear that for now, the work is focussed more on stability, with a significant military presence. Eventually we expect elements of diplomacy and development to become more of a priority.

It is essential that we take responsibility for a territory. However, in addition to the military effort, we must ensure that other aspects of development are included. That is why CIDA is very involved in this exercise.

Hon. Bill Blaikie (Elmwood—Transcona, NDP): Mr. Chair, the minister himself referred to mine action and the fact that some 10 million to 15 million mines have been removed, and yet at the same time concern has been expressed about the extent to which Canadian Forces, vis-à-vis their cooperation with American forces, are actually involved in the use of anti-personnel mines.

I have been told that at one point Canadian soldiers were ordered by their American commander in Afghanistan to lay anti-personnel mines around the camp but they refused because of Canada's signing of the convention against anti-personnel landmines. The Americans then laid the mines themselves. The Canadian government was able to argue that Canada was respecting the convention. However at the same time our soldiers are benefiting from the existence of these mines.

I am looking at a lecture that was given yesterday by Michael Byers in Saskatoon who is the author of a new book entitled War Law. He said, “the fact that American soldiers rather than Canadian soldiers laid the mines makes it possible for the Canadian government to argue that there was no violation of the convention. Our government interprets the prohibition on the use of anti-personnel mines as not extending to reliance on mines laid by others providing that Canadian soldiers do not request the mines be laid”.

He goes on to say that he thinks this is a rather “strained interpretation and hardly reinforces our claim to be the leading proponent of the total elimination of anti-personnel landmines”.

Does the minister dispute this account of what has happened in Afghanistan and, if he does not, is the government not concerned that Canadian reliance on mines that we are allegedly against puts us in a situation where we are clearly in violation of our own norms on this?

If you want to read more go to the link, and I edited certain things link removing the bits were it says translation, english, as well as bolding and enlarging certain things.

Sabre1918 said:
I've taken a real good look at Afghanistan....frankly, there's not much there that I truly believe needs/wants to be saved. By us or any other nation for that matter. Our western world for some odd reason, thinks that we have all the answers. Answers, that generations upon generations before couldn't get them to adapt to. What makes you think that they will listen to us now ?

Tough problem.

All of the soldiers I have to talked to, who are either there right now or have recently come home, have said the answer to the problem of staying lies with the younger kids. To leave now or 3 years from now condemns those kids to a short, brutal life, especially for young girls. Staying there, and staying strong, gives them something altogether different. That has to be a major factor to consider.

Canada is there now. Lets not let a vocal, ignorant minority in this country screw up the future of another country by pulling the plug.

whiskey601 said:
. Lets not let a vocal, ignorant minority in this country screw up the future of another country by pulling the plug.

And there is always going to be a vocal, ignorant minority group that is against all military action no matter what the greater good is. 

I fired off an angry e-mail through the normal channels inside the NDP (if you all remember, I am a member of the NDP), which stated very bluntly, now is NOT the time to be questioning what our troops are doing; they are right now trying to do some good in a place that has seen hell, and even though it may not be traditional peacekeeping, we are doing something very similar, just with a bit more muscle. We don't want something similar like the Rwandan Genocide, where a few Belgian troops get killed, and the Belgium government gets cold feet and yank everyone out leaving the locals at the mercy, destabilizing the region.

That is in short what I sent. I haven't got a response back yet, but I think I sent a strong message.

MY MOM SAYS WE SHOULDN'T BE IN AFGANASTAN...BUT ITS WAR..AND WE ARE NEEDED....THEN SHE SAID, "THATS NOT WHAT WE ARE FOR".....I SAYS "MOM ITS THE xxxxxxx ARMY,THATS WHAT THEY DO!"

PM inbound

Have your mom read this in its entirety.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/29913.0.html

It is interesting that many of us in the military seem to fear or resent the idea of a debate about our commitment in Afghanistan. These worries sound like they are based on the preconception that Canada would automatically "cut and run" as a result of such a debate. I am not sure this would be true. It is worth remembering that during our decade or so of major force commitment in Yugo, there were periodic calls to bring our troops out of what was seen (and depicted by the media) as a bloody, confused and pointless situation. We lost soldiers there, and we killed bad guys too. Despite that, public support remained sufficiently strong that we were able to see it through.

In Kosovo, when we were actively dropping bombs with absolutely no pretense whatsoever at a "blue hat mission", public support at one point (IIRC) was about 70% for our involvement there. We did not "cut and run", even under a Liberal govt. Granted, Kosovo was a much shorter, sharper op.

While  I understand that the PM does not want to be seen "stabbing us in the back" by encouraging Parliamentary debate while our soldiers are in harm's way. I do believe that in the long run, in a democracy (especially one with our political culture), the act of putting Canadian men and women in harm's way should be done with full transparency, debate, and the support of the Canadian people. If we go to a place where we will probably kill and be killed, and things will get ugly, and may drag on, we need our country behind us. Otherwise we risk being marginalized once again, our mission and our tactics misunderstood, and ill-informed decisions being made.

And that brings me to what I believe underlies much of our fear and suspicion of  the idea of a debate: a conviction that it would be badly misinformed, and probably misled by what we see as a biased media, mindless anti-Americanism, and pacifist-isolationist-do gooder B.S. thinking. If that is the case, then we have an information battle on our hands, one that the last Govt and the CDS started over a year ago, and one that we are carrying on now. And, I have to say, based on some of the Canadian reportage I have read and watched,  a battle we are continuing to wage with some limited success. Most of what I have read in the way of reportage (NOT editorial writing) has varied from excellent to fair. Personally, I have yet to see any really biased reporting.

And who are our biggest guns in this battle? The soldiers themselves. Canadians see and hear them being interviewed just about every day, and read their comments in the paper. Our soldiers universally come across as modest, professional, dedicated and quietly proud. If anybody will win the info fight, it's our soldiers. Few members of the public will trust a politician, perhaps a few more will trust a General, but I think that most would have a hard time not trusting a soldier.

In the long run, a debate over our commitment probably can't be avoided. It will take place, either in normal Parliamentary process where there are at least some rules, or as part of an election campaign in which, as we all saw in the last election, anything goes. IMHO our job, if we believe in what we are doing in Afgh, and want to honour the lives we have already lost in that country, is to work to educate our fellow Canadians.

Cheers

Ah, but you are looking at it from Canadian eyes..We are such a rich country, we OFTEN assume the rest of the world wants to be like us. Given their druthers, that's not such a bad idea, but there's a problem....we came to this empty country and started filling it with people and ideas (many of which sucked big time), but we had the luxury of not being corralled/controlled by history/tribal allegiances/class structure. (well maybe not class structure...we're still working to get rid of that). The point is, that if you took the children of Afghanistan and moved them to the resource rich Canada, with it's education system, values, freedom to choose...you would see, within a generation, a typical Canadian.

We can't do that, so what we can do is offer a little slice of security, some general improvement in lifestyle, and can educate and expose the next generation to the possibilities of what is possible. The "ART of the POSSIBLE" is what it is all about. Look at any regime that has control of it's populace, and I would venture to say the for the most part the people have been kept in ignorance. (see classic examples-Middle East/Arab countries) But to them it is not ignorance...it's the picture frame of 'their' world. They have never had the opportunity to choose and fail, choose again, until they find their niche...they were told where they fit in and after awhile 'even the cow gets used to being milked, with only the occasional swish of the tail to show their displeasure'.

If we are going to go into Afghanistan as tourists..then lets do it and then get on home. That way, the Afghan people can see the tourist for what he/she is and get about the job of surviving. If we are serious about helping, then lets,1) give them something to work with, 2) introduce them to education on an unbias/consistant basis , 3) then protect them while they get used to it. It is the next generation that will absorb the lesson and not want to go back to the way it was.

I think Scoutfinch phrased it right...
The Canadian public NEEDS to understand that if we cut and run at this point in time we will simply embolden the Taliban such that they will feel that all Western powers will retreat as soon as they push back a bit.  Canadians need to understand that this is the time for us to go in harder than before.  Canada needs to understand that the security of this nation depends on the Taliban permanently losing any prospects of power. 

If we don't do it now, we will just be back there in 5 years.

I think the electorate is smart enough to get it.  They just need to hear it.

Back