• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2 CMBG or 2 ASG

NoCashBob

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm waiting on a contract for SigOps, but I'm unsure of what roles a person will be given --both during operations and during peace time-- for either 2 Area Support Group Signal Squadron | or | 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group Headquarters Signals Squadron.

What are the typical roles a SigOp would fulfill in either of these groups, and which one is most likely to afford deployment and afford attachment to combat arms units?

Hey, I've never served in a HQ&Sigs unit or a base Signals unit, but I'll tell you what I know.

1.) You don't really have much choice if any of where you get posted.. you may want Pet but you could be sent to Edmonton, etc.

2.) You can be posted into a Combat Arms unit. I got posted to an Infantry BN right off my QL3.

3.) For the most part a base Signals unit is static an they might do an FTX once a year just to go their PWTs, etc. HQ&Sigs would see you in the field a lot more, plus the unit/elements of the unit will deploy overseas as the TFK HQ for 9 months. Signallers from a base Sigs unit an a HQ&Sigs can be attached to a Combat Arms unit to fill a vacant position for the roto.

As for what the units do on a day to day basis, someone else can fill you in.

Also, just so you are aware.. Signals isn't CSS/Logistics. Signals is Combat Support an Signals is it's own Branch an we have our own forum onthis website. Lot of topics on the Sigs trades in there.

OK, thanks, I'll switch over to that forum  :army:

EDIT: is the forum your refering to:
    *  Milnet.ca Forums > Milnet.ca > Communications & Electronics ?

Back