• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

15 Jul 2016: Attempted Coup in Turkey + Aftermath

I hope they are successful but the Army has been weakened by political appointees.The commander of special forces seems onside with Erdogen.We shall know for sure in 24 hours.

tomahawk6 said:
I hope they are successful but the Army has been weakened by political appointees.The commander of special forces seems onside with Erdogen.We shall know for sure in 24 hours.
BBC World Service (a good listen for ongoing updates here) says TUR's army & navy bosses say they're still online with Ergodan as well - time will tell ...

You can follow what's said to be Ergodan's Gulfstream as it tries to make its way back from vacation to sort things out here.

And let the false flag accusations begin!!!!!!!!  :Tin-Foil-Hat:

Attachments

• CncfLbQWIAAn8aT.jpg
    CncfLbQWIAAn8aT.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 308
UPDATE - 17 police officers have been killed and an attack helicopter has been shot down by a low-flying jet.

The coup took advantage of Erdogens absence but they should have cut cell phone service.Using his cell he asked the people to take to the streets to confront the Army which they have done.This is a conscript Army facing civilians so I am not hopeful about the outcome.It appears to be maybe a Colonels revolt and not an Army wide event.The role of the Air Force might be crucial to the success or failure.Might turn into a civil war or the coup could collapse in which there will be alot of executions.There is probably key players sitting on the fence.

I have a buddy on the ground in Istanbul who has his poop in a group and who I trust. He's calling it civil war- military factions are shooting at each other at the Bosphorous bridges, Parliament has been bombed from the air. The coup failed and it's going completely sideways. Very, very, very not good. Only the Islamists come out of this ahead.

tomahawk6 said:
... It appears to be maybe a Colonels revolt and not an Army wide event ...
As mentioned earlier, army & navy bosses are against the coup - for the moment, anyway.
tomahawk6 said:
The role of the Air Force might be crucial to the success or failure.
If it's true F-16's have shot down a helicopter gunship reportedly being used by coup types, that also shows a possible split in the AF.
Brihard said:
I have a buddy on the ground in Istanbul who has his poop in a group and who I trust. He's calling it civil war- military factions are shooting at each other at the Bosphorous bridges, Parliament has been bombed from the air.
Thanks for the dirt - hope your buddy's safe.
Brihard said:
The coup failed and it's going completely sideways. Very, very, very not good. Only the Islamists come out of this ahead.
:nod:

Brihard said:
I have a buddy on the ground in Istanbul who has his poop in a group and who I trust. He's calling it civil war- military factions are shooting at each other at the Bosphorous bridges, Parliament has been bombed from the air. The coup failed and it's going completely sideways. Very, very, very not good. Only the Islamists come out of this ahead.

Praying for your buddies safety. But damn it all if this turns into a civil war it will just make a more screwed up world.

I hope those saying or down playing it are right... that it is going to blow over

Did some digging on military kit. Predictably, all fighter jets belong to their Air Force. All attack helicopters belong to their army. A helicopter had attacked the National Assembly (parliament). It sounds like Air Force has stayed loyal and has shot down an army helicopter in Ankara.

The army corps commander in Istanbul has ordered troops back to the barracks. Not sure if it's working.

Lots of ugly video of bodies in the streets.

I *think* that the direct coup vs government fighting will end quickly. What the Kurds and the Islamists do will take some time. I believe the Kurds will come out of this in a worse position, as Erdogan appears likely to win, and there will be hell to pay.

All the news is coming out of Istanbul. I wonder if the coup leaders are focusing on Ankara first. If they grab all goverment institutions then they might still have a chance.

Erdogan is apparently blaming this on an exiled cleric living in the Poconos. Somewhere in Pennsylvania people are scratching their heads.

Main TV stations (live feeds here and here via YouTube) appear to be back on air, with no soldiers in the studio.

Reports of explosions at the parliament buildings and gun battles seem to suggest the coup is still going. How ever many point out the key generals and senior military staff are not supporting the coup.

MilEME09 said:
Reports of explosions at the parliament buildings and gun battles seem to suggest the coup is still going. How ever many point out the key generals and senior military staff are not supporting the coup.

If the coup was over, the president wouldn't have landed in Istanbul.

jmt18325 said:
If the coup was over, the president wouldn't have landed in Istanbul.

that just means Istanbul has been declared secure, parliament is in Ankara

MilEME09 said:
that just means Istanbul has been declared secure, parliament is in Ankara

I know - and if the coup were over, he'd be in the capital.  Obviously there is still a power struggle ongoing.

Back