• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New accommodations facility at CFB Esquimalt and plan to build more homes on military bases

In most neighborhoods in central Ottawa, that sort of a house is a net negative on the lot, as the redevelopment potential is worth much more than the house.

I live in a semi-detached house, which results in about a 1/3 reduction in the resale value of my home (and land) in a desirable area in Ottawa.

In most neighborhoods in central Ottawa, that sort of a house is a net negative on the lot, as the redevelopment potential is worth much more than the house.

I live in a semi-detached house, which results in about a 1/3 reduction in the resale value of my home (and land) in a desirable area in Ottawa.
The houses in that area have all been refurbished and upgraded. North of Wellington the mechanicville originals are slowly being gentrified.

When the feds are beating you up for 'not doing enough', it's a pretty easy mea culpa to say 'ya, we are, but our data sucks - we bad'. Data collection is self-serving. They have a great website covering where to buy booze in the province, but not one to track hospital ER and other department closures.

I was more thinking of poor controls in the early days of in-filling older neighbourhoods. People were buying up older wartime or post-war houses, tearing them down and putting up a 3-floor monster that covered 90% of the lot and overshadowing the neighbourhood. It still only housed one family.

View attachment 87193
At least in Calgary most of the infills were split into two lots, so you ended up with two home in what had been one.

My parents recently sold their back lot in Ottawa (they had bought the lot behind the house in the early 80’s when we moved there). Two infills went in behind them / which have no real lawn and to me are significantly ugly. But three homes now exist in where there was one.

Down here, when my wife and I build we specifically looked for an area that was zoned R2 meaning 1 house / 2 acre lot. So the minimum land around us is 2 acres — because I don’t like people ;)

At least in Calgary most of the infills were split into two lots, so you ended up with two home in what had been one.

My parents recently sold their back lot in Ottawa (they had bought the lot behind the house in the early 80’s when we moved there). Two infills went in behind them / which have no real lawn and to me are significantly ugly. But three homes now exist in where there was one.

Down here, when my wife and I build we specifically looked for an area that was zoned R2 meaning 1 house / 2 acre lot. So the minimum land around us is 2 acres — because I don’t like people ;)
we have noticed

If the government wanted to build houses and be smart about it they would hire their own crews. Then build on their own land. Using bidding contracts like any other builder does for supplies and materials.
Instead they will have to bid out each project. Adding significant costs on top of the average price to build. Delaying the project for years over red tape.

Back