• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada doesn’t matter to the rest of the world - and it’s our own fault

That is because when you take retirement, in the CAF's eyes, you're really just a quitter. It is all part and parcel of the culture.
Sadly, you’re not wrong in many cases. I had a Col ‘jokingly’ tell my wife I was a quitter…at my DWD…’fortunately’ he only made his way up to MGen thereafter… 🙄

Last edited:
I've organized and managed a few DWDs now. I'm really sorry you folks had to go through this in such a poor manner.

Your deserved better. And there are those of us who are trying.

I don't get it either, there is a whole manual/publication out there that lays out the whole process and entitlements. It's a pretty simple process. And all together probably only ate up a few hours of my time to order the certificates ect and establish the ceremony. I've always offered to hand hold through the admin side of the release process as well, but no one has ever taken me up on it.

I did one for the G4 TN at 36 CBG HQ. Awesome guy and enrolled in the CAF almost exactly a year after I was born in '79. That was a special one for me as he had so much time served in the Log Br. I reached out to the MSE trade and they made sure to send some things down for him. Outside of the regular entitlements.

HT, yes there is a policy for DWDs, as there are for other activities, but often some who represent the establishment through either assigned responsibility or associated delegations, or even tangential interference (or stupidity), can compromise what I think the intentions of the institution establishing those policies were. Some have been forgotten, others needing to perform the administration that others should have done and in some cases, interlopers just shit on what was supposed to be an opportunity of recognition. Alas.

Good on you Tar, and others like ya to try and honour the spirit and intent of the policy. 👍🏼

I have a couple of what some would consider weird quirks but I think they are important.

1- When I give CDs, I always mention how I consider that decoration as, if more more important than deployment medals, because it shows a long commitment to the defence of our nation. Also, many trades conduct operations within Canada without any formal recognition.
2- Unless they don’t want me there, I insist on presenting certificates and flags to all departing personnel from my unit at their DWD. It is important that the « institution » is represented at such events, recognizing what people did for said institution
3- I always thank people for their service regardless of how short or how long their service was. We are a volunteer force. If someone volunteers for a single day, they deserve a thank you, and they are far from quitters: they took years of their life in the defence of our nation. They are doers.

I have a couple of what some would consider weird quirks but I think they are important.

1- When I give CDs, I always mention how I consider that decoration as, if more more important than deployment medals, because it shows a long commitment to the defence of our nation. Also, many trades conduct operations within Canada without any formal recognition.
2- Unless they don’t want me there, I insist on presenting certificates and flags to all departing personnel from my unit at their DWD. It is important that the « institution » is represented at such events, recognizing what people did for said institution
3- I always thank people for their service regardless of how short or how long their service was. We are a volunteer force. If someone volunteers for a single day, they deserve a thank you, and they are far from quitters: they took years of their life in the defence of our nation. They are doers.

We have a winner here. Good job Max!!

I got my CD years ago now, and it was given to me at a weekly project meeting, at a project I didn't work for, in a conference room. To add insult to injury there were people on a teleconference who couldn't even see me because my head was cut off, and my family wasn't invited. 6 years later and I've yet to get it mounted.

For some reason the standard bit about how it was important and the sacrifice of your family etc all rang pretty hollow.

Fortunately with my Scottish ancestry don't hold grudges or anything and totally over it now.

Was a good LL though on how not to present a CD though I guess that I'll never forget.

Fortunately with my Scottish ancestry don't hold grudges or anything and totally over it now.

Oh sure....

Holding Mel Gibson GIF

Except we aren't in ctf150, we are spent, and I doubt we will deploy another ship to the area any time soon. Our personal are exhausted, and with a dry winter out West so far we face another potential wild fire season that will drain resources further. Short term, it's not looking good for us, and our risk aversion to making dramatic changes may hurt our ability to cope and recover.
I served in CTF150. It's an Op ENDURING FREEDOM mission, part of the GWOT and is the exact type of operation our current Govt doesn't want anything to do with.

I'd be happier if Eyre and the DM would start telling the country as to what they are doing to reduce the HQ bloat, creating more efficient processes and solving the problems facing DND/CAF. The continued bleating about needing more money is tiresome. Let's see an improvement in defence outputs with what they already have.

🍻
Just read the latest articles on the Canadian Military Journal... it's a joke and full of non-military pseudo-science gender studies babble...

I think it's amazing they managed to fill an entire Military publication with not one article that's actually relevant to the profession of arms.

I think it's amazing they managed to fill an entire Military publication with not one article that's actually relevant to the profession of arms.
I really think the whole structure has to be blown up and rebuilt. What is the purpose of an armed force for the nation? How should it be employed?WHO staffs it? How do we train it?

THAT seems to have been lost in the entire discussion.

I really think the whole structure has to be blown up and rebuilt. What is the purpose of an armed force for the nation? How should it be employed?WHO staffs it? How do we train it?

THAT seems to have been lost in the entire discussion.
I hope the dynamite comes out when the Govt finally changes.

I won't hold my breath though.

I don't actually think they really care about any of the above though.

Just read the latest articles on the Canadian Military Journal... it's a joke and full of non-military pseudo-science gender studies babble...

Yeesh....that edition is a doozy....

Couple it with the two previous issues focusing on RMC and professional development and we can see a trend.

That said, there's a long lead in time for CMJ articles. These ones could have been on the editorial schedule for well over a year or two.

Here's hoping for a better issue in the future. Since they go for issues with common themes it would be useful if themes were set and calls for submissions distributed more widely than the Kingston area.

🍻

Couple it with the two previous issues focusing on RMC and professional development and we can see a trend.

That said, there's a long lead in time for CMJ articles. These ones could have been on the editorial schedule for well over a year or two.

Here's hoping for a better issue in the future. Since they go for issues with common themes it would be useful if themes were set and calls for submissions distributed more widely than the Kingston area.

🍻
Don't worry, I'm sure the next issue will focus on much more timely and urgent topics...like peacekeeping!

Back