• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada doesn’t matter to the rest of the world - and it’s our own fault

I released in 2018 after 41 and a bit years. No exit interview. And my DWD was a farce.

You got a DWD? ;)

Reality React GIF by Married At First Sight

Re the TV interview. I found it disappointing. "BLUNT" it was not, especially from the Army fellow.

I could name several Army.ca contributors who would have done a hell of a lot better, including being "Blunt".
I think there is a difference between what we would say at the pub with friends or on this site, and what we would say on The West Block on a national broadcaster.

I definitely would be a bit more…diplomatic if I was on a panel like that one.

Some think the causes are numerous and complex. But some people claim that there's a woman to blame.

I think there is a difference between what we would say at the pub with friends or on this site, and what we would say on The West Block on a national broadcaster.
Disagree. They are retired and can say anything they want except Classified info.

I agree, and in fact, given the situation, more should sound the alarm, even better if it's someone who just quit and can give accurate candid information
In return for substantial consideration, some GOFO have post release conditions to not disparage or diminish the reputation of the government, Parliament or the CAF.
Mark Norman is under no such obligation resulting from his release, but likely does from his legal settlement.

I agree, and in fact, given the situation, more should sound the alarm, even better if it's someone who just quit and can give accurate candid information
The problem with that approach is it creates a hostile response from the person receiving the criticism. Instead of taking in the message they immediately look for a way to hit back, or ignore you.

I've watched a few of the people I work with go down that route, thinking being blunt* meant they would be taken more seriously. All it did was make nobody want to listen to them, and go out of their way to not include them in conversations.

Blunt only works when the person you're talking to has to care about your opinion. Or, more bluntly;

"Unf$&K yourself!" from an MWO to a Pte works because the Pte has to care about what the MWO thinks of them.

"Unf$&K yourself!" from a MWO to a LCol doesn't work because the MWO's opinion doesn't matter to the LCol.

*blunt as in lacking tact, and often being crude/rude.

The problem with that approach is it creates a hostile response from the person receiving the criticism. Instead of taking in the message they immediately look for a way to hit back, or ignore you.

I've watched a few of the people I work with go down that route, thinking being blunt* meant they would be taken more seriously. All it did was make nobody want to listen to them, and go out of their way to not include them in conversations.

Blunt only works when the person you're talking to has to care about your opinion. Or, more bluntly;

"Unf$&K yourself!" from an MWO to a Pte works because the Pte has to care about what the MWO thinks of them.

"Unf$&K yourself!" from a MWO to a LCol doesn't work because the MWO's opinion doesn't matter to the LCol.

*blunt as in lacking tact, and often being crude/rude.
good thing headlines 99% of the time say former soldier for NCO's, and only use Retired ______ for officers. Makes our opinions sound less informed anyway;) Bluntness is fine if done tactfully and in a way that conveys the overall message in a way the general public can understand.

Last edited:
good thing headlines 99% of the time say former soldier for NCO's, and only use Retired ______ for officers. Makes our opinions sound less informed anyway;) Bluntness is fine if done tactfully and in a war that conveys the overall message in a way the general public can understand.
I know that the highlighted is a typo, but it accurately conveys the state of mind we should be in.

I released in 2022 from a red trade at a red rank level having been ear-marked for red positions.

No exit interview.
Likewise, 30 day, 20 year VR in 2016 from a red trade, being posted into a red position with no backfill. (Took RCAF +4 months to prepare the next incumbent.)

Closest thing to an exit interview, two weeks before terminal leave:
  • CO (casually walking by, getting a coffee): "How about if we post you to Comox?"
  • Me: "Kinda late to offer that now, don't you think, Sir?"
  • Next day, CO (casually walking by again): "WCOMD has asked you to write a Briefing Note on how we can get the AES Op trade back into good health. We need it before you depart."

... I think they're still waiting for my BN. 🙄

Likewise, 30 day, 20 year VR in 2016 from a red trade, being posted into a red position with no backfill. (Took RCAF +4 months to prepare the next incumbent.)

• CO (casually walking by, getting a coffee): "How about if we post you to Comox?"
  • Next day, CO (casually walking by again): "WCOMD has asked you to write a Briefing Note on how we can get the AES Op trade back into good health. We need it before you depart."

1704741842444.gif

I had a similar experience... worked right up until I left. "Hey we need that briefing note on the new School Re-org"....

"Yah I just turned in my uniforms and my DWAN account is being shutdown tomorrow"....

It's sad that there are so many other examples of similar experiences. It's not surprising though, our "Career Management" is conducted by people posted into the job for a couple of years, then they depart. Combined with a system that doesn't incentivize postings or taking on undesirable jobs, they are just forced on whoever doesn't have a good enough excuse to not go at the time, it's little wonder we are bleeding the middle ranks across the entire CAF.

I was storesman on an ASAI course recently where the course WO was in the process of releasing, but they put him on the course anyway, then had to replace him two or three weeks in.

I was storesman on an ASAI course recently where the course WO was in the process of releasing, but they put him on the course anyway, then had to replace him two or three weeks in.
sounds like my units challenge trying to get a CQ posted in, last two have given their notice right after getting posted in.

It's sad that there are so many other examples of similar experiences. It's not surprising though, our "Career Management" is conducted by people posted into the job for a couple of years, then they depart. Combined with a system that doesn't incentivize postings or taking on undesirable jobs, they are just forced on whoever doesn't have a good enough excuse to not go at the time, it's little wonder we are bleeding the middle ranks across the entire CAF.
That's what happens when you have a soldier/sailor/air...person doing doing HR.

CAF: "We can do anything!"

Back