Linked Events

• trying to get medical released: April 13, 2011

Author Topic: Medical Release ( merged )  (Read 93056 times)

Offline ryanb2311

• Rate Post
Re: Medical Release Questions? Can it be Expedited?
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2012, 13:03:13 »
Hi there Medicine Man, I am with IPSC and I have been waiting for a medical release for almost 4 yrs. I've been on medical since the beginning of 2008. I am so fed up with waiting. I have no family or friends here on the island, All my family is in Ontario. My girlfriend is in Vancouver and I have a cousin in Squamish. I am writing a very striong worded but appropriate memo and letter to ottawa about my release. Plus if all else fails Im going to talk to newspapers and news stations. Is there anything you can do to help so that I don't have to resort to that last option?

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2012, 13:44:03 »
Ryan, I'm no longer actively in the CF, much less on the Island - I practice out in Manitoba now.  PM me your concerns and I'll see what I can advise you on based on that - this might not be something for the main forums.

Cheers.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline ryanb2311

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2012, 14:04:17 »
How do I PM you?

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2012, 13:36:25 »
How do I PM you?

Little word bubble thingy under my avatar or go to the "My messages" link near the search box, compose message to me.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

Offline TryingtoRelease

• Rate Post
Medical release Questions
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2012, 11:31:19 »
Hello,

After eight happy years in the reserves, and one tour to Afghanistan I am ready to pull the plug. I have a chit that doesnt allow me near weapons, or military vehicles, because of PTSD. Not just becasue im a bad driver, haha.  Ive just started my release in November.
People are trying to push me towards a medical release.  And i hear that can take years.  Ive been to the MO.  I am not interested in taking meds, and that seems to be the main treatment available.  So thats what started my release.

So what is the benifit to a medical release?   

Offline wesleyd

• Rate Post
Re: Medical release Questions
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2012, 11:56:24 »
It really depends on your personal situation.
I would recommend getting treatment. Meds are not the only way to do this. If your injury is CF related you may be entitled to a disability award and other benefits from Veterans Affairs Canada.

Have you gone to your local IPSC? Used to be SPHL. Some call it JPSU.
If there is one local go see them or call and make an appointment. They have the people there who can answer your questions and any entitlements you may benefit from.

As each individual case is different there is really no quick answer to your question, I am by no means an expert and would not want to provide you with the wrong information. Your chain of command and your doctor should be able to assist you.

There are Peer Support Councillor's that you can speak with that have been through similar situations so they can help you out, or just listen. Check the link and click on your region.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/jpsu-uisp/rjp-uis/index-eng.asp

I hope you get treatment. PTSD is a long and difficult road to recovery. I suffer as well and am still getting treatment and things are getting better for it.

Best Wishes

Offline GR66

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2012, 12:06:28 »
Definitely contact your local IPSC.  They can give you information on the benefits of a medical release as well a put you in touch with the many services that are available to service members.

OSISS (Operational Stress Injury Social Support) is a peer support group for members suffering from PTSD (http://www.osiss.ca/engraph/index_e.asp?sidecat=1).  Meds are not your only option and there is support available to you.

Take care of yourself.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2012, 13:34:48 »

So what is the benifit to a medical release?

So 5 years down the road you can't turn around and say you got PTSD while in Afghanistan and had to leave the Canadian Forces and wasn't given any help assistance or support for your condition.

If you really want to just release and not deal with the hassle (understandable) then just release but understand getting help down the road will be difficult.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline maniac

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2012, 14:41:27 »
All very good advise.  You should ask as client service rep at your local IPSC,  everything you need outside of medical care is located there.  FYI, you can expedite a medical release,  you just have to let them know.

Offline MedTech32

• "They Call Me Mr.....wait they don't call anymore :("
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2012, 18:56:44 »
Trying to Release,

I can understand why you don't want the pharmaceutical approach.  That is something between you and your doctor, you certainly have the right to refuse treatment unless you are a danger to yourself or others.  Check out this site/facebook group, they may be able to help you and have been very helpful to many others.

http://www.facebook.com/MilitaryMindsYT?fref=ts

http://www.militaryminds.ca

There is nothing wrong with a medical release.  A 3b or 3a release is still an Honorable Discharge.  I have a little more than 6 years of reg force time and my release message is due "sometime" after Christmas.  With the current timelines I'll be out in time to move and start university in September.  And my actual release started in May, so looking at about a year, and I'm trying to shorten it as much as I can.

Your profile is pretty blank, so it's kinda hard to help you out more.  If you'd like you can PM more.  I'd be more then happy to help. 
In Arduis Fidelis
Militi Succurrimus

**Disclaimer**  Any and all posts are solely the opinion of the poster, and thoughts to the contrary are misguided.** Disclaimer**

Offline muskrat89

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Desert Rat
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2013, 11:21:40 »
Hello - I am freakishly close to the boundaries of my lanes here, but it appears you have suffered a service related injury/illness that precludes you from serving in the capacity needed/desired. If it was a broken back or poked-out eye, it would be obvious to most that you need to be released in a manner that ensures your future care, compensation, etc. PTSD should be looked at no differently, in my opinion.

There are many on the board far more familiar with the nuances of the system, and you already have a good start in getting some advice. I would encourage you to put the brakes on a bit, and continue to gather information not only pertaining to treatment but what other benefits might be available to you.
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Offline Mukd

• Rate Post
Medical release question
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2013, 19:32:35 »
After some time searching through the forums, I couldn't find any info on this so I thought I would ask it in here.  I'm being medically released for OSI's.  My dream has always been to be a police officer.  After being medically released for an OSI, are you still eligible for policing? (Municipal, provincial)  I ask because on my med chit it says no live ammunition or firearms.  Thanks for any insight you can give!

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
Re: Medical release question
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2013, 20:00:51 »
I'm not going to say yes or no to you. However my dad is a recently retired OPP officer and he's mentioned that those with PTSD or mental health issues don't have much in the chance of being hired. I to wanted to be a police officer but can't due to physical wounds. Note that if police officer isn't doable there may be other jobs within emergency services that may allow you to still work in that area of interest.

All the best.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2013, 20:43:50 »
I'm not going to say yes or no to you. However my dad is a recently retired OPP officer and he's mentioned that those with PTSD or mental health issues don't have much in the chance of being hired. I to wanted to be a police officer but can't due to physical wounds. Note that if police officer isn't doable there may be other jobs within emergency services that may allow you to still work in that area of interest.

I just looked at our online Health Questionnaire. I believe what your dad had to say would also apply to Paramedic.

As always, best to ask a Recruiter of the service(s) you wish to apply to.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 21:05:10 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2013, 09:40:38 »
Mukd I should also add that you should talk with the IPSC/JPSU staff and your case manager about career options and what is available to you. Once released you can also see what VAC has to offer. Using these resources and programs can help you find a job that you will still enjoy.

Offline Ice97

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2013, 13:27:02 »
After some time searching through the forums, I couldn't find any info on this so I thought I would ask it in here.  I'm being medically released for OSI's.  My dream has always been to be a police officer.  After being medically released for an OSI, are you still eligible for policing? (Municipal, provincial)  I ask because on my med chit it says no live ammunition or firearms.  Thanks for any insight you can give!

Not to rain on your parade....but how exactly do you plan on becoming a police officer if you cannot handle ammo or firearms?
"We can't stop here....this is bat country"

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2013, 13:48:57 »
Not to rain on your parade....but how exactly do you plan on becoming a police officer if you cannot handle ammo or firearms?

^^^
This
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2013, 14:29:39 »
So, your OSI is either triggered by handling weapons and ammunition, or the mental health people believe it is unsafe for you, and/or others around you if you are given access to ammunition and firearms. Part of your treatment should have made you realize this, so seeking out a civilian occupation where you would come in contact with these triggers seems counter intuitive.

Or, and I hope it isn't the case, your playing a game to get out, and faking an OSI.

Offline Mukd

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2013, 19:36:54 »
So, your OSI is either triggered by handling weapons and ammunition, or the mental health people believe it is unsafe for you, and/or others around you if you are given access to ammunition and firearms. Part of your treatment should have made you realize this, so seeking out a civilian occupation where you would come in contact with these triggers seems counter intuitive.

Or, and I hope it isn't the case, your playing a game to get out, and faking an OSI.

Thanks for all of the replies!  My OSI has nothing to do with handling weapons or live ammunition, I was told by the MO that they are required to put that on the medical chit for anyone with an OSI, along with unfit operational environment.  Which brought me to the question of whether or not this transfers to civi side / policing.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2013, 20:35:45 »
Which brought me to the question of whether or not this transfers to civi side / policing.

This may help.

Constable Selection System
Medical Requirements for Candidates
http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/stellent/groups/public/@mcscs/@www/@com/documents/webasset/ec075034.pdf
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2013, 11:32:13 »
I was told by the MO that they are required to put that on the medical chit for anyone with an OSI, along with unfit operational environment.

they are required to put that on the medical chit for anyone with an OSI

Complete and utter bullshit.

"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2013, 13:50:34 »
To answer the question of the OP, this will come up either during your psych interview or medical interview...had a member that was releasing that had an OSI put in an app to an unmentioned municipal police service and I got a letter from them (with the Medical Release of Information Request) asking for documentation regarding general physical health and all things related to the mental health diagnoses.  The service in question will likely want the same of you.

As for this :

they are required to put that on the medical chit for anyone with an OSI
followed by this:
Complete and utter bullshit.
... I'd agree with RP.  I'd only put someone on that kind of restriction if the sounds/sights caused flashbacks or exaggerated startle response or if I thought they were a physical danger to themselves or others (ie - having psychosis issues or suicidality).

I'd venture to guess that if you applied for a PAL for a firearm, the fact you had a prohibition from a Medical Officer to use firearms in a military setting (something required of any soldier, sailor or pigeon) would come up as a flag if the Firearm's Officer actually does a background check on you...it would likely follow you into policing as well for the same reason, as a firearm is required equipment in Canadian police services.

:2c:

MM

MM

Offline D-C

• Rate Post
3A and 3B medical???? What's the difference
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2014, 23:43:09 »
Hello all,
From my subject line you can guess what my question is. So, can someone please tell me the difference.
D-C
You are all good to go!!!!!!!!!!

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline D-C

• Rate Post
Re: 3A and 3B medical???? What's the difference
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2014, 11:34:29 »
Thanks, PMedMoe. So a 3a is worse then a 3b? 3b you may be able to rejoin where as a 3a your not?Or is it on a case by case bases?
D-C
You are all good to go!!!!!!!!!!