Linked Events

• trying to get medical released: April 13, 2011

Author Topic: Medical Release ( merged )  (Read 93416 times)

Offline dogger1936

• Rate Post
Medical Release ( merged )
« on: January 14, 2011, 20:19:04 »
Hey folks.

I am currently being "sent away" to a static position of my choice to basically start the process of getting out. While it was once something  I was really trying to avoid; I've decided it is both best for the CF and my family and I. I will be medically released if all goes well with 14 years in, 5 of those being a Sgt making around 61,000 a year.

Family planning is my biggest concern. Looking at the big picture in the future along with my wife will hopefully put us in a secure position to raise our children and provide the best life we can for them IRT my disability and limitations. Working after release doesn't seem to be an option for me, and honestly my wife has a full time job looking after her three kids unfortunately (one being myself).

I've checked over this board a million times and have spent at least two hours tonight (on a Friday non the less!) searching out the boards here as well as VAC/DND sites to find answers; to which most were broken links or outdated information.

I'm hoping some of you SME's and people who have a working brain (unlike myself) can help me out with a few questions. While I realise there is no substitute for a scan brief or face to face with a release clerk I have not been able to do this as of yet. And am currently trying to plan as adults with my wife.

Here are a few:

1. released not able to work money is a concern. What would my military pension be every month for a 5 year Sgt making around 61,000 a year?

2. Can someone explain Indexed to me? I keep seeing indexted and believe it mean every year up till my 20 year mark it will increase by 2% annually? leaving me at 20 years with my full pension  I would have received?

3. I keep hearing about VAC not allowing my pay to drop below a certain point if  I cannot work. Can someone verify that?

4. I read somewhere in which I cannot find the reference that if your disabled 48% your children will receive free university. Is this true? And if so is it a combination of injuries which add up to 48% (i.e PTSD 30 % other injuries 18% for example only?)

If the answers to any of these questions are present on the board I apologise, however I believe I have done a detailed search.

To state the obvious I was injured under the new veterans charter in Afghanistan, if there is any confusion.

I thank you in advance for helping my family  and myself who honestly is beginning to feel I can't aid myself most times.

All the best.

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
Re: Medical release questions
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 20:31:11 »
Crikey Dogger,

I wish you asked these questions earlier today... :)

When I get to work Monday, at the IPSC, I will see if I can get some answers for you.

dileas

tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 20:51:10 »
2. Can someone explain Indexed to me? I keep seeing indexted and believe it mean every year up till my 20 year mark it will increase by 2% annually? leaving me at 20 years with my full pension  I would have received?

"Indexing (Inflation Protection)":
http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/hr-rh/bp-rasp/pensions/pensionfacts-infopensions/indexing-indexation-eng.asp
http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/hr-rh/bp-rasp/pensions/faq-eng.asp
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 20:53:52 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 21:03:40 »
To find out what your CF Pension would be, talk to a Release Clerk - they can sit down and do your pension forecast for you, and give you info on other release entitlements.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline SGT-RMSCLK

• Rate Post
  • Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 21:46:29 »
14 x 2 %= 28, 28% of $61000 =  $17080 (gross).  Less any penalties (if there are any) for not completing 20 years. 

This if a rough approximation.  As some one said earlier, go see a release clerk.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 21:59:26 »
Your CFSA pension is made up of two parts: a core benefit that's yours forever, and a bridge benefit to age 65 - but this bridge benefit is lost if you receive a CPP disability benefit.  The core benefit is about 1.5% per year of service; the bridge benefit is about 0.5% per year of service.

So, if the average of your best five years of service is $61000 and you are medically released with 14 years of service (even one day less will cost you!) you would get:

1.5% per year * 14 years = 21% of $61000 per year or $12810 per year in the core benefit, plus another $4270 per year up to age 65 (0.5% per year *14 years = 7% of $61000).  These amounts have be adjusted somewhat in recent years - the total is still 2% of pay, but the core amount you retain has been increased, and the age 65 reduction has been cut back.  I don't have the precise figures handy, but you should be able to use those figures as a rough guide.  They also vary depending on how much of your earnings were above the CPP maximum earnings.

Indexing means annual increases to account for inflation; it's als known as cost-of-living increases.  If you are medically released, this begins automatically; otherwise you would have to wait until your age plus your years of service was greater than or equal to 85 (for example, age 60 with 25 years of service). 

In addition, as this would be a medical release of a member with more than 10 years of service, you'd receive an immediate unreduced annuity - no penalties due to age or early release.

This is only the CFSA pension (the one you pay into on every pay cheque).  VAC benefits are not included in this.

Much more information on CFSA pensions is available at: http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/ps/pen/reg/ap-ar/benefits-prestati-eng.asp and http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/forces-pensions/txt/faq-eng.html

For other benefits, there is information available at your local BPSO and at the local IPSC. 
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline dogger1936

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 22:13:26 »
thank you very much guys. And yes  I totally agree a release clerk is the way to go. Im good friends with our cheif clerk and Im sure he can send me to see someone great over there.

DA thanks a bunch for the explination, however I think it would be 28% as the RMS has stated no? 20 % for 10 years 2% a year? Ihave no idea thats why I'm asking!! thanks for the links.

Offline dogger1936

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 22:16:30 »
Crikey Dogger,

I wish you asked these questions earlier today... :)

When I get to work Monday, at the IPSC, I will see if I can get some answers for you.

dileas

tess

Thanks man. drop me a pm and we can talk via email from work if you like!

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 23:30:38 »
Dogger:  2% a year is the shorthand - the actual details are more complex.  And important to understand.   So 2% per year for 14 years is 28%.  28% of $61K is $17080.  But it's not all for life - there's the CPP reduction that comes in at age 65 or when you receive a CPP disability benefit.  The detailed formula is:

(YMPE = Yearly Maximum Pensionable Earnings for CPP)

1.375% of earnings up to YMPE  + 2% of earnings above YMPE  = lifetime benefit

0.625% of earnings up to YMPE = bridge benefit

It's the bridge benefit that goes away at age 65 or when you receive CPP disability.

At 61K, assuming the current YMPE of $48K:

Lifetime benefit = $48K * 1.375% * 14 years + ($61K-48K)*2% * 14 years = $9240 + $3640 = $12 880

Bridge benefit = $48K * 0.625% * 14 years = $4200 per year

Lifetime $12880 + Bridge $4200 = $17080

Be sure you talk with the pension experts to get a full understanding of what's lifetime and what's bridge benefit, and when the bridge will no longer be paid.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline farrell486

• Rate Post
MedicaL Release
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 08:23:21 »
Just a general question or two.   I'm looking at leaving the CF and have started the process to try and get released medically but I've hit a road block.  I have a H4 for hearing loss (70 db loss in both ears) and have been accommodated for the past 10 years and according the CF i can't get released medically because of this.  Even though my trade and most CF min requirements for hearing loss is a H3.  I tried the university of service option of not being able to carry out deployments because of hearing aids gives out if they come in contact with water or sweat.  Anyone run into these issues before, myself I've seen people release for hearing loss before and am just wondering is the fact the military have invested 22 years into me maybe playing against me?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 10:38:15 by farrell486 »

Offline Trunk Monkey

• Rate Post
Re: MedicaL Release
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 22:24:41 »
 H4 is below any trade minimum. When you were assigned H4, the MO had to recommend H4 and an AR(MEL) carried out by D Med Pol who then made your category permanent. Obviously DMCA, at D Med Pol's recommendation, gave you accommodation or RWOR.  Did you go to an MO and ask for a review and were told no? I cannot find where it says you only get one kick at the cat for a review. It's been a decade, things change.  Go talk to someone at the IPSC and go from there. They have the knowledge and can help you. Hope it all works out.

Offline krustyrl

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 22:39:41 »
Am I missing something here.?  You have a PCat for hearing loss and were accomodated for 10 yrs and you are not eligible for a 3b release.?

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 23:05:52 »
I sense a basic misunderstanding of terms is at work here. I wager, from your brief description of events, that you were likely retained without restrictions (RWOR). An accommodation is something completely different. If one is RWOR, they're allowed to stay in, and generally retire or release in the normal fashion... not normally under 3A or 3B. In addition, a medical release is generally not something one seeks, rather it is imposed on a member who fails to meet the medical standard, and can't be retained. Often these folks are accommodated for 1-3 years in order to solidify their pension entitlements.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline krustyrl

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 23:09:48 »
Check.   Thanks ModlrMike, it was the RWOR that was the curveball for how I read that. 

Offline farrell486

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 07:45:40 »
Yes i was wrong in my post I was retained without restrictions (RWOR) even though my catergory is a H4 and i was never placed on a Catergory.   This is what I've been told by the MIR who actually encouraged me to go for a medical release since i wanted to try another career.  I was told to do a medical review as i was told i break universality of service on a few points.   My case worker is looking into it even she's confused.

Online Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 08:01:24 »
It sounds like someone was trying to do you a favour some time ago and that favour is now backfiring.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline Res Release Clerk

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 08:43:16 »
A lot of times, the number itself from your Pcat is not taken into consideration. They usually only look at the universality of svc and your trade specifics, so if you can crawl, dig a trench, carry sandbags, do your CF Expres test, do 30 min of drill, use a firearm, do your job around/close to water, use a radio and such, you'll probably be RWOR and no RA(MEL) would be done for you.
However, I find it a little odd that the MIR would actually encourage you to go for a medical release, as their job is to make sure you're fit for duty. A doctor can suggest some MEL in accordance to your current condition but unless your hearing has changed significantly since your last AR(MEL) 10 years ago or you have a new chronic condition that truly breaks U of S, your chances of releasing 3(b) are probably slim.

Offline farrell486

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 08:52:54 »
When i was RWOR 10 years ago my hearing was a H3 which met trade specs currently i'm a H4.  I thought that would make a difference but not according to the MIR.  Even a H4 is generous as thats the highest level the CF uses, when in fact i would be a H5 or H6.  An H4 is 50 db loss at 500, 1000, 2000, 3000 and I'm currently at 70 Db.  I even tried to get the point across without these hearing aids i'm deaf.

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 09:13:06 »
Yes i was wrong in my post I was retained without restrictions (RWOR) even though my category is a H4 and i was never placed on a Category.

If you were RWOR, then you were placed on a category. The two go hand-in-hand.

This is what I've been told by the MIR who actually encouraged me to go for a medical release since i wanted to try another career.

That's not up to the MIR. Medical releases are not "sought" they are considered after a category incompatable with continued service is awarded. It's a "push" issue, not a "pull" issue.

I was told to do a medical review as i was told i break universality of service on a few points.   My case worker is looking into it even she's confused.

This is probably what you've been asked to consider. If you hearing has degraded markedly since your last medical, or PCat, then you can ask to have it reviewed. If you fall too far down the scale, you might, and I stress might, be in a position to be medically released.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline BuzzyBeetle

• Rate Post
Medical Release Questions? Can it be Expedited?
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 19:41:06 »
Good Evening,

My spouse has developed a medical condition since joining the forces (It did not exist before ) and wish's to put in for release, but the Case Manager said they are eligible for a Medical Release. The Paperwork is in limbo with Ottawa, and we are told there is nothing we can do until they review it, which could take up to 2 years! Basically a Medical Release cannot be submitted yet. Can we expedite this somehow? A Regular release is possible to submit, but because this condition was a direct result of the job, we feel a Medical Release is deserved. We have plans to move on with our lives and we can't until this is settled. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks very much

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
Re: Medical Release Questions? Can it be Expedited?
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 20:00:08 »
Your husband has to be assigned a permanent medical category before a medical release can be granted - and that process takes time unfortunately, as there are a pile of review processes the file has to go through and it takes time due to the fact the number of files is inversely proportional to the number of people there are to review them.  If you're in a hurry to get out, it's not to your benefit, due to compensation entitlements that would be forthcoming with a medical release vs voluntary.  In the mean time, has he dealt with the base IPSC yet?  They're a wealth of help and knowledge and usually have Veteran's Affairs hanging out in the same office.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but the process is slow.  Sometimes a nudge (not a yell or scream but a nudge) from the base medical officer or Base Surgeon can get things moving a bit faster, but often not that much.  Ensure that your husband has talked to as many folks as are available to give the pros and cons of waiting and not waiting - IPSC, Case Manager and the Release section for starts, and engage the medical system as well...contrary to popular belief, we are here to help.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

Offline BuzzyBeetle

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 21:31:29 »
Thank you for your response. What does IPSC Stand for? I will encourage the spouse to contact them if they have not already.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 22:15:10 »
Thank you for your response. What does IPSC Stand for? I will encourage the spouse to contact them if they have not already.

good day. Where in Canada are you right now? I can help you, guide you in the right direction, but we shouldn't do it on here. I am going to PM you to steer you in the right direction.

Good questions. MM has it right.

MM you  and I should talk.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 22:32:22 »
More discussion here:
Topic: "Question about releasing from the Navy":
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,93989.msg933661.html#msg933661
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 01:13:36 »

IPSC=Integrated Personnel Support Centre.

MM
MM