Author Topic: Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ  (Read 541434 times)

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ
« Reply #1725 on: March 05, 2020, 22:06:41 »
Would she also carry torpedoes as well?

If you look under the two remote controlled light guns (whatever type they are) on both sides of the helicopter hangar, you see two (one each side) square openings (closed in the pictures) these are the 'portholes' for the torpedo launchers on either side of the ship.

Offline CloudCover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1726 on: March 09, 2020, 11:44:53 »
Weird they don’t have MASS but appear to have a throwback chaff launcher installed beside the SSM mounts.
... Move!! ...

Offline Underway

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1727 on: March 09, 2020, 20:15:47 »
If you look under the two remote controlled light guns (whatever type they are) on both sides of the helicopter hangar, you see two (one each side) square openings (closed in the pictures) these are the 'portholes' for the torpedo launchers on either side of the ship.

They were bid as BAE 30mm Mk38's but it could end up as 25mm to match the AOPs. 

There are square panels are forward on the ship as well.  I think they are removed to place/handle lines.  It doesn't seem to have a torp launch panel on this model.  I have seen other images where there is a longer swing panel for a torp tube on the stbd side forward of the square panel and astern of the multi-mission deck.  Could be wrong though, models are only so accurate.

Weird they don%u2019t have MASS but appear to have a throwback chaff launcher installed beside the SSM mounts.

I was told that they are torpedo decoy launchers like these, not chaff/flares.  No more throwing decoys in the water from the bridge wing anymore apparently.  Of course, my source could be wrong and 130mm tubes like that can also fire chaff/flares.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 18:58:55 by Underway »

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #1728 on: March 10, 2020, 18:06:32 »
To be fitted for but not with when TB comes at the program with the cutting knife.