Author Topic: Medical Officer Training Plan (MOTP) [MERGED]  (Read 67209 times)

Offline 123Medical

• Rate Post
Applying MOTP
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 15:08:46 »
Hi,

My name is Sam I am a Canadian citizen and hope to join the CF and become a Medical Officer. The only question I have is: is mandatory I graduate from a Canadian Medical School?

I have been accepted into a 6 year medical program at NUI Galway, Ireland (accredited med. school) and intend to write the MCCEE. What are my chances if i apply for the MOTP?

Thank you
Have a great day

Offline Shamrock

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Applying MOTP
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 15:33:21 »
Hi Sam!  Perhaps this thread can be of some help to you?

Offline Shamrock

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Applying for MOTP
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 15:33:56 »
Hi Sam!  Perhaps this thread can be of some help to you?

Sorry Shamrock, but I merged his 2 threads. :-*
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 16:11:03 by Bruce Monkhouse »

Offline ArmyDoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 20:55:25 »
Sam,

Congratulations on being accepted into medical school.  Since it is in Ireland, though, I suspect that your chance of acceptance into the MOTP is very remote.  The number of MOTP positions available is not very high to begin with since the CF is nearly up to strength in Medical Officers.  Check with your Recruiting Office as they should be able to advise you on MOTP.  Good luck with your medical education.

Offline 123Medical

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 17:06:26 »
Thank you CombatDoc I'll call my recruiter and talk to him about my chances.
&& Thank you for the link Shamrock, but its not working. Would you mind re-posting it?

Have a great day

Offline Shamrock

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 01:25:23 »
Thank you CombatDoc I'll call my recruiter and talk to him about my chances.
&& Thank you for the link Shamrock, but its not working. Would you mind re-posting it?

Have a great day

They were links back and forth between your two threads. The site frowns upon cross-posting, so I thought I'd try for a bit of fun before the mods came in.

Offline CF-Hopeful13

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Medical Officer Training Plan (MOTP) [MERGED]
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 19:42:09 »
Hi:
I am thinking about enlisting and have a few questions, specifically regarding the Medical Officer Training Program. First off, approximately how long before graduating gr. 12 should I apply to CF? (I am hoping to attend Dalhousie, if that makes a difference). Also, I really want to be in the army. I don't know why, but I just can't see myself in the Navy or AF. Is the application process for the MOTP going into the army generally very competitive? Really, is the application process for the MOTP very competitive in general? I know forces.ca says that application can be very competitive for certain jobs, but it doesn't list any examples. Thanks in advance for any help you guys may be able to supply.

Offline ArmyDoc

• Rate Post
Re: Medical Officer Training Plan (MOTP) [MERGED]
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 20:29:35 »
If you're still in high school, you are a long way off from being eligible for MOTP.  First, finish high school.  Then, start a university program that leads to a Bachelor's program while preparing to apply to medical school.  Once you've been accepted to medical school, THEN consider MOTP if a) you want to do Family Medicine when you graduate and b) you are still interested in the military.  Is application to medical school competitive?  Yes. Is application to MOTP competitive?  Yes.  I would be more concerned about getting into medical school at your stage of life.

In terms of wearing an Army/Navy/AF uniform, you can request a certain environment which you may or may not get, depending on quotas.

All this to say that you have a journey ahead.  Good luck.

Offline CF-Hopeful13

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 20:41:52 »
Hi:
Thanks so much for your clarification. Judging by your extensive knowledge, I'm going to assume that you are an MO, and I have just one more question. My 1st choice university offers " undergraduate medical education." Is this considered a Bachelor's program or a medical school program? If it is a med school program, what would you recommend I do my Bachelor's in to best prepare me for preclerkship and clerkship years?

Offline CF-Hopeful13

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 20:56:55 »
After a little digging, I believe I have found the answers to my questions. Thanks anyway.

Offline CF-Hopeful13

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 22:26:33 »
I am set on enlisting as a medical officer, but I am unsure of the best way to go about this. In your guys' opinions, would I be better off getting my B.Sc. and then applying for the MOTP at the same time as med school, or should I complete my MD and go for a direct entry into BMQ and leadership training? Does the CF prefer one to the other?

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 22:29:02 »
I think this was the best reply you will get from your original thread.

From CombatDoc

If you're still in high school, you are a long way off from being eligible for MOTP.  First, finish high school.  Then, start a university program that leads to a Bachelor's program while preparing to apply to medical school.  Once you've been accepted to medical school, THEN consider MOTP if a) you want to do Family Medicine when you graduate and b) you are still interested in the military.  Is application to medical school competitive?  Yes. Is application to MOTP competitive?  Yes.  I would be more concerned about getting into medical school at your stage of life.

In terms of wearing an Army/Navy/AF uniform, you can request a certain environment which you may or may not get, depending on quotas.

All this to say that you have a journey ahead.  Good luck.[quote/]

Offline CF-Hopeful13

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 22:35:08 »
While the answer CombatDoc gave to my original thread was very helpful and answered the questions I had asked there, I asked very different questions in the two threads. My original questions were more in regard to the application process into MOTP, while the question I asked here was whether to join MOTP or obtain an MD on my own then enlist in CF. Thanks anyway, though.

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 22:43:12 »
Ok so read the highlighted yellow parts.

From CombatDoc

All this to say that you have a journey ahead.  Good luck.[quote/]

That answers your question.  Get accepted to medical school first then you can apply to MOTP if you don't want to you can get your MD on your own then enter the CAF that way or don't. Its up to you.

Offline CF-Hopeful13

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2013, 22:54:39 »
I think that we may not be on the same page here. Let me break it down. There are two options for becoming a medical officer in the CF, which I am sure you are already aware of, but to play it safe I'll explain them. First, and I quote, "If you already have a medical degree and an unrestricted license to practice family medicine in a Canadian province or territory, the Canadian Forces may place you directly into the required on-the-job training program following basic training.", this is also known as direct entry. Secondly, "Because this position requires a medical degree, the Canadian Forces will pay successful recruits to complete an Undergraduate Medical Education Program at a Canadian university.", or entering through the MOTP (Medical Officer Training Plan). I wanted to know which held a greater probability of being sucessfully accepted into CF, seeing as medical officer is considered a rather competitive job in terms of the application process.

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2013, 23:08:32 »
The point CombatDoc was makig is that you have a very long road ahead of you and no matter what you must get accepted to medical school before you can apply for MOTP or go for direct entry. Since that is going to take time the needs change for the CAF and no one is going to tell you which has a greater probability. If you get accepted to MOTP and the CAF is paying your way you will owe service back to them which would mean you will have been accepted by the CAF as long as you pass school.

Offline Nudibranch

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2013, 08:09:28 »
The CF doesn't care that much, tbh. From a financial POV, MOTP makes more sense at this time - direct entry used to have a signing bonus associated with it to defray the costs of your education, but no longer does. Under MOTP not only do you get a salary, but tuition, books, travel for mandatory away rotations etc is paid. And your time in school is pensionable time.
If the CF becomes desperate for MO's again in the future, the signing bonus for direct entry will likely reappear; if it doesn't, it won't.

Offline Nudibranch

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2013, 08:26:08 »
If you apply out of HS, you're not applying MOTP - you can only apply MOTP once you have been accepted into a medical school (it actually used to be after you have completed the first year of a 4-yr med school, not sure if that changed).
Not only that, but if you're accepted MOTP, you can only do your residency in Family Medicine. Provided you remain interested in medicine, you might find your interest drifting to other fields. Maybe you'd rather be a vascular surgeon, or a pediatrician, or whatever - if you're in MOTP you don't get the choice.

For structuring your undergrad (the MD is also considered undergrad, which is confusing, but in Canada you need a minimum of 3 years' of undergrad before applying to med school, and generally a full 4-year degree if preferred), most pre-med programs pre-structure it for you, but check out the prerequisite courses required to apply to the various med schools. UWO used to have a bunch of very specific ones, but now appears to have dropped this requirement. Provided you include the prerequisites, you can pick any major you like for undergrad, you don't need to stick with whatever the school offers as a "pre-med" option.

As for A/N/AF - medical is a "purple" trade. Regardless of the environmental uniform you wear, you can be posted to an Army, Navy, or AF base. Whether you yourself are Army and the posting is AF won't matter.

Offline CF-Hopeful13

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2013, 10:48:16 »
Thanks both of you, your answers have definitely cleared up a lot of question I had. I do, however, have one more. If I am accepted into MOTP, after my 4th year med school will I have to apply for my residency or does CF organize residency programs for OCdts?

Offline Nudibranch

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2013, 10:58:55 »
You apply through CaRMS but into a funded Family Res position. Basically, you are a free resident for the program (instead of being paid by the residency program, you're being paid by CAF). Most if not all programs with have an MOTP/MMTP spot (or more than one spot), so your competition is only other MMTP's/MOTP's. These are the spots for the 2013 Match:
https://www.carms.ca/eng/r1_sched_family_nd_e.shtml

You will be required to apply for a spot at your own institution to save the CAF $$$ on interview travel, and will be allowed to apply to a number of other institutions. If you match at a different institution, the CAF will pay for your move.

Offline mkicetea

• Rate Post
Applying to MOTP from a medical university outside of Canada
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2014, 09:25:36 »
Hi,

My name is private Kadhim, I've been with the reserves for about 4 years now with the Engineers... I just got accepted to a few medical schools outside of Canada: Ireland, Poland, and the Caribbean.  I would like to apply to the medial officer training program, would they fund my med school if I do it outside on Canada?
If there's any related posts that I've missed that could answer my question, please leave a reply
Thanks

Offline mkil

• Rate Post
Re: Applying to MOTP from a medical university outside of Canada
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2014, 09:40:10 »
No. They will only fund to Canadian Universities. I have looked into it before. Even at that, there are certain Canadian Universities that they prefer... but will consider all of them.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever - Ghandi

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2014, 09:40:42 »
CFAO 9-63, in part:

GENERAL
3.     The MOTP and DOTP provide at public expense:

a.   in the case of MOTP, three academic years of training and two
          years of postgraduate training required for family medicine
          certification for undergraduates in the Faculty of Medicine at a
          university in Canada who are enrolled in the Regular Force and
          are assigned to the medical officer military occupation code
          (MOC); and
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Nudibranch

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2014, 10:58:44 »
Yup, the system simply isn't set up for it. It would require auth for an OUTCAN educational posting (a few of those exist for postgrad studies in the CAF Health Services, but not undergrad med school - and those that exist are ones that can't be received inside Canada, as Canada doesn't offer, for ex, fellowships in Aerospace Med).

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2014, 11:57:27 »
And to compound things even more, if you do your Medical Studies outside Canada, graduate and then wish to pursue a career with the CF as a Medical Doctor, you would then have to obtain an accredited internship from a recognized Canadian University or Hospital and also obtain residency on your own, prior to even submitting an application to the CF.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........